What's new

2022 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If Judge went to San Diego, at that dollar amount, that would have sealed the Padres fate of very limited or no success. They couldn’t have made that work.

They're probably anticipating for Soto to leave via FA after 2024 -- he's got Boras as his agent afterall. OR they could always turn around and deal Soto away to restock their farm if things start looking bad in 2023...

They also seemed to make the biggest offer to Turner as well before this.

_Man_

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
They're probably anticipating for Soto to leave via FA after 2024 -- he's got Boras as his agent afterall. OR they could always turn around and deal Soto away to restock their farm if things start looking bad in 2023...

They also seemed to make the biggest offer to Turner as well before this.

_Man_
I was basing my comment on Machado and Tatis Jr- I forgot about Soto. I don’t see how they can afford to get/keep pitching while they’re paying the position players. My guess is they’re going to have a revolving door of a multitude of farm hands. This won’t work.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Padres finally got somebody this hot stove season to take their money as Xander Bogaerts signed with them for 11/275M.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Padres finally got somebody this hot stove season to take their money as Xander Bogaerts signed with them for 11/275M.
I hope for the sake of the team and fans they can build a complete team (I doubt they’ll be able to).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I hope for the sake of the team and fans they can build a complete team (I doubt they’ll be able to).

They do have some hefty salaries coming off their books vs 2022. No more Wil Myers and Eric Hosmer (each of whom made over $20M/year) and some other smaller, but still significant, salaries. Extending Musgrove ate some of those savings, but there still seemed enough to pay Bogaerts and Soto and most of the raises, etc for the rest.

Guess they probably figured they need to push all in for 2023 while they still have Soto, Darvish, Hader, et al and the Dodgers seem likely enough to regress some... and maybe having Bogaerts will allow Tatis Jr to stay (more) healthy and performing (near enough) 100% all year (in OF instead)...

Still, they probably could use at least 1 more decent SP for the middle-to-back-end of their rotation...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They do have some hefty salaries coming off their books vs 2022. No more Wil Myers and Eric Hosmer (each of whom made over $20M/year) and some other smaller, but still significant, salaries. Extending Musgrove ate some of those savings, but there still seemed enough to pay Bogaerts and Soto and most of the raises, etc for the rest.

Guess they probably figured they need to push all in for 2023 while they still have Soto, Darvish, Hader, et al and the Dodgers seem likely enough to regress some... and maybe having Bogaerts will allow Tatis Jr to stay (more) healthy and performing (near enough) 100% all year (in OF instead)...

Still, they probably could use at least 1 more decent SP for the middle-to-back-end of their rotation...

_Man_

Seems I was mistaken about their apparently still remaining obligation for Hosmer. Apparently, they continue to owe the lion's share of Hosmer's remaining contract (though only a lower $13M/year minus MLB minimum paid by the Bosox thru 2025) unless he actually opts out, which he won't/didn't... so add ~$12M of that back on the Friar's payroll for next 3 years...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Buster Olney of ESPN is reporting the following:

The electronic strike zone will be used in all 30 Class AAA parks in 2023, sources told ESPN, seemingly another significant step toward the implementation of the technology at the big league level in the near future.

The Automatic Balls and Strikes system, commonly referred to as ABS, will be deployed in two different ways. Half of the Class AAA games will be played with all of the calls determined by an electronic strike zone, and the other half will be played with an ABS challenge system similar to that used in professional tennis.

Each team will be allowed three challenges per game, with teams retaining challenges in cases when they are proved correct. MLB's intention is to use the data and feedback from both systems, over the full slate of games, to inform future choices.

Frankly, the ABS system can't come fast enough for me as I'm sick and tired of the inconsistent strike zone of umpires. There will still be a home plate umpire.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Buster Olney of ESPN is reporting the following:

Frankly, the ABS system can't come fast enough for me as I'm sick and tired of the inconsistent strike zone of umpires. There will still be a home plate umpire.
There has to be a home plate ump- stuff like checked swings, catcher’s interference calls, things like that.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Maybe it's ben written somewhere, but does the umpire call out what ABS indicates? He gets that info and then says it like he was making the call or what?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Maybe it's ben written somewhere, but does the umpire call out what ABS indicates? He gets that info and then says it like he was making the call or what?
Good question. I read where there’s going to be experimentation- some games will be all ABS, and other games will have the ump, 3 challenges per team that ABS will be used to confirm or change the call the ump made (I would think the umps would hate this).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Umpires have too much power to control the outcome of games with only a limited ability of managers to challenge bad calls. Umps should be removed from the equation as much as possible (same in any sport where the technology exists to make it so), their egos be damned.

A similar thing in football, they need to start using chips in footballs to set distance gained and determine first downs. The officials often seem to spot the ball short of where the player actually gained. Also to determine crossing the plane of the goal line.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Technology over humanity...maybe, maybe not so fast, IMO.
While I understand people’s frustration with umpire’s inconsistencies with the strike zone, and some of those guys are jerks, I think it would be sad to for all intents and purposes eliminate the umpire from the game of baseball- they are part of the tradition of the game.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
While I understand people’s frustration with umpire’s inconsistencies with the strike zone, and some of those guys are jerks, I think it would be sad to for all intense and purposes eliminate the umpire from the game of baseball- they are part of the tradition of the game.

If they can use this to get balls and strikes correct it improves the game greatly in my eyes.
If they didn’t have guys like Angel Hernandez on the field maybe they wouldn’t need to go to robot calls.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Pure trust in technology isn't warranted either, when technology can be manipulated or just break down. Technology has also fractured basic human interaction with each other in recent times you may have noticed or read about. I'm cautionary but not adamant to improvements that technology can offer, just wary if it's at the expense of other humans.

There's a trilogy of films: Koyaanisqatsi (1982), Powaqqatsi (1988) and Naqoyqatsi (2002). Succinctly, in others words: While Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi examine modern life in industrial countries and the conflict between encroaching industrialization and traditional ways of life, using slow motion and time-lapse footage of cities and natural landscapes, about eighty percent of Naqoyqatsi uses archive footage and stock images manipulated and processed digitally on non-linear editing (non-sequential) workstations and intercut with specially-produced computer-generated imagery to demonstrate society's transition from a natural environment to a technology-based one.

The last movement of this third film is a warning, of sorts, of "a world that can no longer be described"; that basically humans aren't meant to be all wired up and to live like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks