What's new

2022-2024 Blu-ray, 4K Projects? (9 Viewers)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Bill has a great list of confirmed 4k and 4k rumors list here too:

Oh yes, I am having a look at it every so often. A lot of coulda woulda shoulda involved with that list.

Inland Empire on UHD has to be a typo or somebody at Criterion is not really that well acquainted with its SD production history.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Oh yes, I am having a look at it every so often. A lot of coulda woulda shoulda involved with that list.

Inland Empire on UHD has to be a typo or somebody at Criterion is not really that well acquainted with its SD production history.
It's making the rep cinema rounds and being touted as a "4K restoration," whatever that means.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It's making the rep cinema rounds and being touted as a "4K restoration," whatever that means.
It means that these "restorationists" have lost touch with reality. This was intentionally shot in almost the worst possible way so why try to improve it now? Even a 1080p master really is too good for it. I hope that Criterion reconsiders to give this hopeless production - when it comes to picture quality - a 4K master when almost all other movies they have access to would have more potential to look good on UHD.

Best way to show this 480i movie even in a movie theater would be on a DVD: Put it in a DVD player, blow it up on the big screen, let them marvel at the analog video artefacts and tell the audience that David Lynch thought it was a great idea to shoot a movie with a 480i video camera when he could easily have done a lot better even on a shoestring budget.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Here is a kind of "restoration" report, it figures that Criterion did it so that they can also release his other movies but I wish they would not almost be bragging about it:

The effort they go through is rather comical and you got to wonder why somebody would ever shoot 60Hz and then convert it to 24 Hz - it is a recipe for disaster.

I also do not understand why Lynch apparently now tries to make it prettier - having second thoughts maybe? In any case the (ugly) movie has been made and if I ever want to watch it I will get a DVD or a Blu-ray to make it look properly ugly and nasty as this is how Lynch chose to produce it - I want the full experience and not the version where he tries to somehow cover things up.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Wayne's World from Paramount in 4k

Casablanca from Warner in 4k

The Lost Boys and Poltergeist are apparently going to be announced shortly
I used to think that the studios would try to release a higher percentage of catalog movies that could shine in UHD. Clearly I was mistaken.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Earlier this week, The Digital Bits reported that "multiple industry and retail sources" have indicated that Sony is working on a third 4K collection for release during the holiday season and that the set is likely to include, among others, "From Here to Eternity" and "As Good as It Gets." Let the speculation commence...

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Earlier this week, The Digital Bits reported that "multiple industry and retail sources" have indicated that Sony is working on a third 4K collection for release during the holiday season and that the set is likely to include, among others, "From Here to Eternity" and "As Good as It Gets." Let the speculation commence...
There are listings on Amazon France for 4Ks of The Last Picture Show and It Happened One Night, so perhaps those two titles will be in the next set too.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Haven't we all been waiting with baited breath for As Good as it Gets in 4K?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Remember the good old days when we still had video and music stores? When we had regular CD and video releases? Gosh! I miss those days. In the early 2000's, it seemed we had several tv DVD releases a week. Now, it's barely a trickle for the whole year. Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops put out about 6 compilation albums a year, and I enjoyed them. Now, there's no regular "Pops" releases. Not like there used to. Some film restoration companies would announce what big projects they were working on. Now everyone keeps everything close to their vest. I miss those days.
three

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Anybody if some companies would go and finish some projects that they never got around to. I remember Walt Disney Treasures (those steel can DVDs) never got around to the Chip n Dale volume. If firms are looking for shows that have never come to on VHS or DVD, they should recheck what they've done and not done.

--jthree

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Some film restoration companies would announce what big projects they were working on. Now everyone keeps everything close to their vest. I miss those days.
While I understand the reasons for not sharing too much information it also makes this hobby poorer.
I have already mentioned it a few times but as an example I remember when the very nice Blu-ray of King of Kings was released with only some bare bones extras ported over from the DVD and no real previous announcement, sharing of work being done etc.

It is of course still a very good Blu-ray but it could have been a lot more exciting if there had been a bit of a buildup to the release and if the release had been accompanied by a few words by the people who worked on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks