What's new

2017 iPhone 8/8+ anticipation and rumors thread =) (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I struggled with a 32GB iPhone: I'm right at the limit. But my 64GB iPhone has been more than enough storage. So I'll stick with 64GB next upgrade.

+1

32gb was great "in the day" but as years went on and apps needed more space, add to that movie storage, music storage, I'd eat up all storage in a 32 in a heartbeat. Now that I've been using 64gb for my last 2 phone cycles, it's the sweet-spot for me.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Apple is rarely the first to new technology. They're often the first to get it right.

So the other wireless charging devices are working "wrong" currently? My wife's S7 wireless set up works very well IMO.

Apple just tries to make certain things "prettier" to appeal to certain demographics it seems,

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, Sam, that's why I kind of thought we wouldn't see those new iMacs until the fall.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The way the rumors are going, it does look like we'll see a 7S, 7S Plus and the iPhone 8 that's going to be bigger then the plus.

This is the first year I waited out the 7 based on the possibility of an 8 this year with the newer innovations. I'm good with maxing out the storage. My iPhone 6 with 128gb pinged me the other day I was running out of space.

The cordless charging that might make this offering from Apple difference is that it doesn't require contact with the device delivering the power, if I understood the rumors. I can't wait to see what the new iPhone line up will be. So far so good, my iPhone 6 is holding up.

The other exciting thing I hope to hear news on is next month rumors of a new improved iPad Pro line-up and potentially improved Apple Pencil. IPad Air 2 might be retired to be replaced with a iPad Pro, 12, 10 and 7.9". Pardon the diversion, but it's going to be an expensive year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was considering a new iPad this year. But my Air 2 still works fine, especially for my media-consumption needs. The biggest worry I have is an iOS 11 that clobbers its performance.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Not really... Only if you buy unlocked, and I still havent quite figured out why you would do that rather than getting on Apple's upgrade program....

I was under the impression someone would make out better if they bought the phone themselves and sold it after a year rather than get on the upgrade program?

My prediction…Apple will continue to go in a direction I don't like while most Apple buyers have no problem buying whatever Apple is selling. ;)

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You will do better if you can sell it for more than Apple values it in their annual trade-in program.

That's also trading against your time and risk in doing a personal sale versus the no time and no risk of an annual trade in program.

Me: I'm still doing a two year purchase schedule and taking advantage of the best upgrade / trade in offer I find. The last two time have worked out great. I don't know what to expect this year.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You will do better if you can sell it for more than Apple values it in their annual trade-in program.

That's also trading against your time and risk in doing a personal sale versus the no time and no risk of an annual trade in program.

Me: I'm still doing a two year purchase schedule and taking advantage of the best upgrade / trade in offer I find. The last two time have worked out great. I don't know what to expect this year.
I'd be interested in knowing your strategy or technique of trading in.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd be interested in knowing your strategy or technique of trading in.
I've just used the AT&T and Verizon trade-in offers when I was ready to upgrade.

Our first iPhones were iPhone 4 in 2010 on AT&T. Due to job change and move, we kept those for three years and upgraded to iPhone 5s in 2013. We stayed with AT&T, as Verizon was still priced too high, and got something like $100 or $150 per "4" phone for trade-in. At the time, it was the best value for our phones, better than Apple and Gazelle.

Last year (two years later) we upgraded to iPhone 6s, and switched to Verizon. We got a really good offer. Everyone wanted new customers, so we got both a new-customer bonus and iPhone trade-ins. I think we about $300 per phone, on net last year. At the time, that was really good for two-year old phones.

This year, I plan with stay with VZW, so I'm assuming about $150 per iPhone in trade-in. Apple's trade-in as been decent, but not leading, so I'll check there. Amazon has had some great offers -- if you don't mind Amazon credit -- so I'll be looking at them. Gazelle's value has been significantly below market value the past few years so I doubt they'll be useful. I'm not going to eBay my iPhones; too much risk and trouble. Nor Craigslist: too much work.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And our phones work well and will be paid off, with no more hidden subsidy charges, so I'll consider not upgrading at all this year. That seems unlikely -- I do like my iPhone :) -- but I view it as a real option. Or maybe postponing the upgrade until January 2018 solely to push the purchase into the next Fiscal Year :D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've just used the AT&T and Verizon trade-in offers when I was ready to upgrade.

Our first iPhones were iPhone 4 in 2010 on AT&T. Due to job change and move, we kept those for three years and upgraded to iPhone 5s in 2013. We stayed with AT&T, as Verizon was still priced too high, and got something like $100 or $150 per "4" phone for trade-in. At the time, it was the best value for our phones, better than Apple and Gazelle.

Last year (two years later) we upgraded to iPhone 6s, and switched to Verizon. We got a really good offer. Everyone wanted new customers, so we got both a new-customer bonus and iPhone trade-ins. I think we about $300 per phone, on net last year. At the time, that was really good for two-year old phones.

This year, I plan with stay with VZW, so I'm assuming about $150 per iPhone in trade-in. Apple's trade-in as been decent, but not leading, so I'll check there. Amazon has had some great offers -- if you don't mind Amazon credit -- so I'll be looking at them. Gazelle's value has been significantly below market value the past few years so I doubt they'll be useful. I'm not going to eBay my iPhones; too much risk and trouble. Nor Craigslist: too much work.
You mention trading in the phone made me curious, so I went to Amazon. I found the following for 6+ phones:
Grey
64gb - $195
128gb - $175
Gold
64gb - $195
128gb - $155

That does not compute. 128gb is worth less than 64gb. The gold 128 is worth less than the silver 128. Go figure. Those figures are all appended with "worth up to" so the amounts are not definite.

Next time I get a phone, I'm going to care less about the color because I put it in a case anyway.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That suggests a surplus or glut of those higher storage models that aren't getting sold. It's still weird, because those should force down prices on smaller storage units.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gazelle shows iPhone 6s:
64GB - $240
128GB - $250

That makes sense. And I've seen in past years that extra storage doesn't pay back at resale.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's interesting the Gazelle gives a little more than Amazon and doesn't care about the color.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Initially, Gazelle was a great site to sell your old equipment. These days? I agree they are not good. They low-ball everything.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sadly agree. Which is why I moved to the Apple new every year program. It's just a CDB for me now, I pay 450 a year in perpetuity to always have the latest iPhone. It's not for everyone but for me that $1.25 a day is a no hassle no brainer.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sadly agree. Which is why I moved to the Apple new every year program. It's just a CDB for me now, I pay 450 a year in perpetuity to always have the latest iPhone. It's not for everyone but for me that $1.25 a day is a no hassle no brainer.
CDB?

For that $450 what do you get? What size phone, how much memory?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks