What's new

2017 iPhone 8/8+ anticipation and rumors thread =) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll withhold judgment until I've used a phone with rear fingerprint sensor. I see both pros and cons. The way I pick up my iPhone, I can see how a rear fingerprint sensor could be easier and more comfortable than the home button location., at least in some cases.

But the scenario of unlocking a phone laying on desk or such, rear is obviously inferior than front.

We'll see if we see.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm with you there. Phones that have it on the back -- people keep touching the camera lens by mistake and it is perpetually dirty & blurred as a result. iPhone users actually take good pictures - better to keep the touch ID where it is. Having less of a display only front is fine.

The original iPhone & the 7 are thinly non-S iPhones I've had (3GS, 4S, 5S & 6S were my others): the original for obvious reasons, the 7 because my 6S was perpetually out of space and I didn't want to waste time deleting before shooting every video and only stream podcasts. The 256GB capacity plus the dual lens photos made me do it and I signed up to Apple's iPhone subscription, so I can now trade it in every year. The two other immense benefits turned out to be never ending battery life of the 7+ one the 6S and switching from AT&T (I was still on the grandfathered unlimited) to T-Mobile.
Never understood the need to upgrade every year. I looked at the subscription for an 7+ with 128gb it's almost $42 a month. That does include Apple Care. I also notice you can upgrade after 6 months but I don't see what it would cost to do that. Gotta be an extra cost for that.

I'm on a 6+ and happy with it. I'll check out the deals when the next iPhone comes out. The current models will come down on price and we're out of contract at the moment with AT&T.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
We're *defintely* going to be switching to the Apple "lease" program with this year's purchases. We're currently running two iPhone 6 devices and one iPhone 6s. So we will probably be purchasing *three* new phones later this year!
(I'm thinking one 7s, one 7sp, and one AE (Anniversary Edition))

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still don't think the Apple "lease" suits me, though it's tempting. It would be fun to get a new iPhone every year.

As always, I'm waiting to see what comes out. I expect to upgrade to the equivalent of an iPhone 7s this Fall. Though I could go a third year with my iPhone 6 pretty easily. Depending on timing, pricing, and availability I'm considering waiting until January of 2018, just to push the purchase in the the next (fiscal) year for household budgeting purposes.

I'm certainly curious about the rumored iPhone 8 / Anniversary Edition / Jony Ive Ego Model / Tim Cook Needs a New Boat SKU. But if it's a $1000 phone, I won't get it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What I understood is the rumorers rumor there will be iPhone 7s and 7s+ following convention. There will also be an 8/10th Anniversary/Tim Cook has Stock Options about to Expire edition. This singular model will bring you satisfaction in life, a sense of purpose in life, and general peace to your soul. However, it may not actually ship until next year, ensuring that you truly deserve life-fulfillment; lesser mortals will concede and buy a 7s or 7s+.

That model might be the one with the edge-to-edge screen.

I've seen rumor that this >7s model will be more expensive, possibly $1000+ starting price.

It is also speculated that every one shipped is a Horcrux for Jony Ive.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This past week, photos started emerging showing a fingerprint sensor on the rear of the new iPhone 8.

There has been a lot of backlash about the sensor being placed in the rear of the phone.

It looks like the leak was false.

According to another site, there seems to be a confirmed leak through Foxconn about what the next iPhone 8 will feature.

I can't say this is 100% accurate. However, there seems to be a substantial amount of leaks to support these features and at least on another Apple site (Macrumors), it is getting wide acceptance as being accurate information:

• Production delayed. Fingerprint sensor under front glass. No sensor on back
• Current leaked dummy models with rear Touch ID and another with steel bezels, are both false. Reports of models with rear Touch ID, but nothing concrete. "Team thinks the previous design + camera authentication is more likely."
• Rear Touch ID rumors are misinformation by Apple
• Will look similar to current iPhone 7, but less bezels on top and bottom of display. Will use more glass. New Touch ID module
• Bezels will be uniform across the entire border of the screen, except at the top. New rear camera module with vertical orientation
• The front facing camera will protrude into the top of the screen
• Mock ups are close to the real design
• Features include: increased water resistance, Wireless charging, Lightning port. No USB-C.
• Fast charging via Lightning
• Front facing cameras will include facial detection and retina scanning for biometrics
• Touch ID will be under the screen
• 3GB of RAM.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The leaks are saying a delay. So wouldn't expect to be able to order them yet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Official for 12 September. At the brand new Steve Jobs theater!
http://www.loopinsight.com/2017/08/31/apple-announces-iphone-event-on-sept-12-in-steve-jobs-theater/

Screen-Shot-2017-08-31-at-9.05.24-AM-420x416.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks