What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And then the line at BP time about it being Kimmel's favorite part of the show when he could get to watch Damon lose an Oscar was out-of-line and not funny.

I agree. That was the one instance where it seemed completely inappropriate, since Damon was a contender for that award and the result was as yet unknown. If they wanted to make a similar joke for an award that Damon couldn't possibly be nominated for (like Best Actress), that's one thing, but they shouldn't be making jokes like that right as the award he's nominated for is about the be given.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Some people are saying that it was staged. At first I thought it was crazy talk but it is not totally implausible.

From behind the scenes stuff I remember that they said they know the results by heart. This is not election numbers where you have to check the numbers. You just have to remember the name and I clearly remember them saying they learn and remember the results in advance independent of the papers. At very least for sure they know the name of the Best Picture by heart.They do not need to check papers, at least for Best Picture.

It took 2-3 minutes to stop people in their middle of their acceptance speeches. This does feel fishy. They let the wrong people go up.The moment the wrong name was said and not just any name, the Best Picture, they knew it was wrong. They normally should jump right in and stop the wrong crew coming on stage. This is why it feels so strange. Conspiracy or not, planned or mistake, for just this 2-3 minutes delay they should be dismissed.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
i-6zf2pjR.jpg

I bet it was Cullinan who handed out the incorrect envelope.

Mark

Seems to be confirmed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4265340/Accountant-caused-biggest-blunder-Oscar-history.html

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't get it. Simply put the name of the category on the outside of the envelope, double check to make sure the card inside the envelope is congruent with the category, seal it, and do a visual confirmation as you hand the envelope to the presenter. It's not rocket science.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't get it. Simply put the name of the category on the outside of the envelope, double check to make sure the card inside the envelope is congruent with the category, seal it, and do a visual confirmation as you hand the envelope to the presenter. It's not rocket science.
The name of the category IS on the outside of the envelope. :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Best Actress in small print on the bottom of the envelope.
Then it is an unforgivable error.

BTW, I watched the Oscars with someone who worked on La La Land and they weren't as upset about the mistake as they were about how long it took for the mistake to be corrected. We were celebrating for two or three minutes. I can only imagine how my friend felt.

If nothing else, the main audio feed should have been cut immediately after Dunaway's announcement until the correction was made.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, this is not good. Beatty knew it was best actress.

Beatty himself elaborated to reporters, including PEOPLE, shortly after the snafu: “I read the card that was in the envelope …. I thought this is very strange because it says Best Actress on the card. I felt that maybe there was some sort of misprint. And as planned, I gave to it Faye. I don’t know anything. I don’t think anyone knows. I’ve asked and I haven’t got an answer. You can talk to Faye and she can verify that she read the card.”

http://ew.com/awards/2017/02/27/oscars-envelopegate-backstage/

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Conspiracy or not, planned or mistake, for just this 2-3 minutes delay they should be dismissed.

They are managing partners of a Big 4 accounting firm so it's not so easy since they are part-owners of the firm. Their fellow partners would have to agree to buy them out to get rid of them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Actually, he did receive an honorary Oscar in 1968, during a broadcast heavily larded with long acceptance speeches. Hitch was the highlight of a mind-numbing broadcast when he said just "Thank you" and added "very much indeed." He got a standing ovation, maybe out of gratitude.
He received the Irving Thalberg Award that year, given for an outstanding record as a PRODUCER. It's a bust of Irving Thalberg and not an Oscar statuette. He never received any Oscar for his directing (five nominations, no award and no honorary Oscar), and that is one of the Academy's gravest omissions.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll bet a list of actors, directors, and other creative types who have been passed over would be embarrassing to the academy.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Second apology:
“PwC takes full responsibility for the series of mistakes and breaches of established protocols during last night’s Oscars,” the new statement says. “PwC partner Brian Cullinan mistakenly handed the back-up envelope for Actress in a Leading Role instead of the envelope for Best Picture to presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Once the error occurred, protocols for correcting it were not followed through quickly enough by Mr. Cullinan or his partner.”

I was wondering why he deleted all his tweets afterwards. It's because he was tweeting all the time instead of doing his job and they were evidence with time stamps.

Last edited:

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I think if every recipient got to speak it could add up to an extra half hour. As you said, many won't get a second chance so they want to make it count. I was somewhat appalled how the first (and only speaker) so often made sure he/she took all the time allowed.

I agree, put the lifetime award back into the main show. Can you imagine relegating Charlie Chaplin to the sideshow?

This is kinda Oscar related. The OJ documentary, is that being stremed anywhere?
a
I think if every recipient got to speak it could add up to an extra half hour. As you said, many won't get a second chance so they want to make it count. I was somewhat appalled how the first (and only speaker) so often made sure he/she took all the time allowed.

I agree, put the lifetime award back into the main show. Can you imagine relegating Charlie Chaplin to the sideshow?

This is kinda Oscar related. The OJ documentary, is that being streamed anywhere?

ESPN has been advertising it available on their app. I saw it when it was first aired and thought it was excellent.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
If you get the opportunity, try to see Sing, the Hungarian short film. It's a wonderful little film and stood out admist a pack of really heavy short films.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Live action shorts was probably my favorite category this year, I loved them all.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It is confirmed Oliver Stone has purchased the rights to this horrendous Best Picture conspiracy and his film starring Kevin Costner as Warren Beatty is going into production in the fall of 2017. Meg Ryan will play Faye Dunaway...

meg.jpg

kevin-costner.jpg

Alden Ehrenreich will play Damien Chazelle.

Alden.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks