What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
i-6zf2pjR.jpg

In this photo, that's PwC employee Brian Cullinan holding the red envelope (the correct, Best Picture envelope). The gal in the red dress is PwC employee Martha Ruiz. As we already know, each of them has a set of envelopes during the big show. They are on opposite sides of the stage to hand presenters the envelopes for the each award. Two sets and two sides because presenters enter from different locations on the stage (and, apparently, the side sometimes changes when presenters arrive at the incorrect side). Also, each of them drives a different route to the Dolby theater, each with their own briefcase, just in case one of them doesn't make it (accident, etc.).

Anyway, all night, during the ceremony, Cullinan was tweeting photos of the stars (probably of himself with stars). But after the big goof, Cullinan deleted ALL of his tweets for the day. There were apparently dozens of tweets on his Twitter page for Feb 26 and now there are none. Not even the tweet he sent when he was on his way to the big show (with a picture of the briefcase in the seat of his car).

I bet it was Cullinan who handed out the incorrect envelope.

Mark

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Warren read the card and saw the error, Faye did not take the time to see it was a Best Actress card and just saw' la La Land' and just blurted it out. I blame her.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't watched in years because of how heavily politicized the Oscars (and most awards shows) have become. I love the Oscars and I love filmmaking, but the show has been usurped to make it about politics and whatever the cause-of-the-day is.

As Paddy Chayefsky said in 1978: "I would like to say - personal opinion of course - that I'm sick and tired of people exploiting the Academy Awards for the propagation of their own propaganda. I would like to suggest......that..... winning the Academy Award is not a pivotal moment in history, does not require a proclamation, and a simple 'thank you' would have sufficed".

I agree. I would also add that for me, the glamour element is missing. Today's stars simply don't have the cachet that the stars of yesteryear had. I can hardly think of anyone today who I would be thrilled to meet.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If you put your ear right next to the speaker for this clip or use a high quality set of headphones with the volume on maximum you can hear under Damien Chazelle's onstage reaction Kevin Costner saying "Back and to the left."

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Obviously PwC should have got it right. But if you're presenting the award for Best Picture, and you open the envelope (which is labeled 'Actress in a Leading Role') and the card inside says "Emma Stone - La La Land," you should probably take a moment and ask for clarification, not just blurt it out.

Yes, but from what I've just seen on the news, that's just what Beatty did, Dunaway obviously thought he was mucking around & blurted it out, but I don't think you can blame her. They said on the news that there were two briefcases with the awards envelopes, well one of them should have been kept closed & locked. Rocket science it ain't.

I'm not interested in watching it anyway, I just get embarrassed with all those cringeworthy acceptance speeches.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If you look very closely at this image you can just about glimpse Damien Chazelle's right hand as he discovers that Moonlight is the actual winner...

Chazelle hand.jpg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I thought the card itself was poorly done. The presenter may assume the envelope is the correct one and not read the envelope. But the category on the card itself is written at the very bottom in very small print as we saw on the Moonlight card. They should have the category at the top of the card in big red font, then the name of the winner in black below that.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, the BP Oscar going to 'Moonlight' or not, Cathy and I had a TERRIFIC time watching the big show last night. We attended a charity Red Carpet Gala Oscar viewing dinner party here in San Diego. We got dressed up in our fancy duds and enjoyed a delicious plated meal and as much champagne as we could drink.

The venue had a large projection screen front and center, with two smaller projection screens on each side. The audio system was excellent and they had a DJ that handled the mixing. During commercial breaks, there were movie trivia questions (I won two goodie bags), presentation of door prizes (we won a huge gift basket with snacks and gift cards), and winners of the silent auction items (we "won" 4 season passes to the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club Clubhouse).

It was a fabulous way to enjoy the big show. Several of our friends were there too (about 75 people total). When we arrived, we walked a red carpet and there were Girl Scouts with autograph books clamoring for our autographs. Fun!

This viewing party has been going on for 25 years and we just learned about it a few months ago. For several years, it was an Academy sanctioned event, with about 46 such events around the country. During those years there were real Oscar statues available for attendees to hold and pose with. Unfortunately, the Academy discontinued the program. Here are a couple of photos from last night.

i-zPrjvQn.jpg

i-c5fgL8v.jpg

i-PM2D9nd.jpg

i-nzr5r7B.jpg

And Cathy and me in our fancy duds before we left the house.

i-mXbkVHV.jpg

We will absolutely attend this event again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. It's the only way I want to see the Oscars now.

Oh, they had a "Pick the Winners" contest too. The ballots got turned in at the beginning of the big show but they don't tabulate them until later. Winners are notified by email or telephone. I think I might have a chance. I got 17 out of 24 and last year's winner was 16 out of 24. We'll see.

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not sure what to make of that Jim Carrey video. Didn't seem to have anything to do with this year's Oscars.

And it was just a little....creepy. OK. It was a LOT creepy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks