What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
About the only way it could have been worse is if it had been an acting award when there's only one winner. Imagine Michelle Williams standing up there in the middle of tearfully thanking people and then someone comes out & says "Sorry, it was Viola Davis."

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I didn't watch the Oscars. Haven't for years. As one wag noted, "My idea of entertainment isn't watching millionaires give each other gold statues." As for last night, a Facebook friend had the best comment: "Bonnie and Clyde murdered the best film award. Go figure."

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don't watch them either but that moment is of course getting a lot of play now...so it will be considered a classic moment to people who consider anything about awards shows "classic" and it looks like it was also the best moment of the entire broadcast as it provided the only drama.

Personally, I think they should do it more often. The look of rage on Damien Chazelle's face as he stood in the background of all the mayhem was great and the rude bald guy...whoever he was...that ripped the card out of Beatty's hand to hold it up was wonderfully ignorant and now a major part of Oscar history.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
The local ABC affiliate did a poll (probably very unscientific) with the question "Do you plan to watch the oscars tonight?" Results: 20% yes, 78% no, 2% DVR. I used to always watch but for the past many years have watched the opening and kept up on my computing device with the results while doing something else (last night was the end of "the Thin Man").

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We always DVR shows like this. We start watching a show that starts @ 8:30 pm @ 9:30 as it is still taping. That way we see it on the night but can still fast forward through the commercials, the boring thank yous and the awards we aren't interested in. You can also rewind if you miss a line. You eventually catch up to live, but this didn't happen with us until the last half hour.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
the rude bald guy...whoever he was...that ripped the card out of Beatty's hand to hold it up was wonderfully ignorant and now a major part of Oscar history.
I think that was the producer of LLL. I didn't really think it was rude, but I'm glad he showed the card to put any controversy to rest as it seemed Beatty wasn't going to show it. I guess he could have told Beatty to "hold up the card," but decided just to take it and show it himself to reveal the real winner as quickly as possible.

Call me ageist, but I also agree with others here that it wasn't the best choice to have two dotty seniors handing out the top prize of the night. I think it should also have been a single person, rather than a couple. Trying to coordinate banter back-and-forth just added to the confusion in the moment.

I also read there was an error in the In Memorium segment, where they used a picture of the wrong person (who is still alive) in place of the person who had passed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't watch it but I find the whole thing hilarious. I gave up watching the Oscars when Saving Private Ryan was defeated for best picture by Shakespeare in Love.
Same here. I watch it and will DVR the rest when I fall asleep, but I've lost placing any type of significance in them beyond some talking points during any film/actor discussion.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Still a bit stuck on the fact that Suicide Squad is an Academy Award-winning motion picture, to be honest.

This is what my wife said immediately after Suicide Squad got their statue; "We now live in a world where Suicide Squad is an Academy Award winning film, think about that for a moment."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I didn't watch much of the show until the last half-hour. I was unaware of the screw-up with BP until I was watching something else a bit later and saw a story about it (I'd flipped channels just after Faye said LLL won). Fortunately, my DVR was still recording on the ABC channel, so I was able to rewind it and watch the fun. :eek:

I spent the bulk of the evening watching two of my favorite Oscar-winning films from years past: Driving Miss Daisy (BP, Actress, etc. 1989) and Legends of the Fall (Cinematography, 1994).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Call me ageist, but I also agree with others here that it wasn't the best choice to have two dotty seniors handing out the top prize of the night. I think it should also have been a single person, rather than a couple. Trying to coordinate banter back-and-forth just added to the confusion in the moment.

That's outrageous, & it is ageist. How about PricewaterhouseCoopers getting it right, it's not hard, not even a little bit. Say there's 50 categories, that's 50 envelopes with each category clearly printed on them, & 50 cards, the correct card is then placed in the matching envelope, all envelopes & cards checked by two or three people to make sure it's all correct, job done, a class of school kids could do it. If I'd paid PricewaerhouseCooper, I'd want my money back.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
This just in...

i-Hvxv9fp.png

;)

Mark

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Doesn't surprise me. I'm sure many people didn't watch due to the anticipated grandstanding.

As for the screw up, am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that this is being treated like the damn Kennedy assassination? "How awful for Beatty/Dunaway and everyone else. Look, they're all going to get just as fucked up as they would have at the after parties and go home to their mansions, and life will go on for us common folk as it always has.

Truthfully, I feel worse for the people who momentarily thought they won their respective Oscar pools.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's outrageous, & it is ageist. How about PricewaterhouseCoopers getting it right, it's not hard, not even a little bit. Say there's 50 categories, that's 50 envelopes with each category clearly printed on them, & 50 cards, the correct card is then placed in the matching envelope, all envelopes & cards checked by two or three people to make sure it's all correct, job done, a class of school kids could do it. If I'd paid PricewaerhouseCooper, I'd want my money back.
Obviously PwC should have got it right. But if you're presenting the award for Best Picture, and you open the envelope (which is labeled 'Actress in a Leading Role') and the card inside says "Emma Stone - La La Land," you should probably take a moment and ask for clarification, not just blurt it out.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I haven't watched in years because of how heavily politicized the Oscars (and most awards shows) have become. I love the Oscars and I love filmmaking, but the show has been usurped to make it about politics and whatever the cause-of-the-day is.

As Paddy Chayefsky said in 1978: "I would like to say - personal opinion of course - that I'm sick and tired of people exploiting the Academy Awards for the propagation of their own propaganda. I would like to suggest......that..... winning the Academy Award is not a pivotal moment in history, does not require a proclamation, and a simple 'thank you' would have sufficed".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks