What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My only problem is that both Warren and Faye have read the winners names of many Oscars. They should have been a little more aware that they had the wrong card.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm glad to not be in suspense about what happened, but in retrospect, Warren Beatty just hosed some lackey on live TV (not that it wasn't deserved, but still).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The show was more entertaining than I thought it was going to be. I'm really glad Affleck won.

As far as the ending goes.... I went back and watched it and it's clear Beatty caught the mistake as you'll notice he went back and checked the envelope a couple times to see if there was another card in there. This here will certainly be the most talked about event and it'll hopefully make more people aware of the film. Social media is going nuts saying Beatty screwed up but he wasn't the one who read the film. I'm sure it'll be cleared up soon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As for my predictions I got 15/24 right. One of my worst showings ever. [emoji26]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well Beatty clearly saw something wrong but instead of trying to get it right he tossed Faye right under the bus by just handing her the card to read.

I think it was the same card used to announce Stone as winner and somehow it made its way to Warrens hands.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
As far as the ending goes.... I went back and watched it and it's clear Beatty caught the mistake as you'll notice he went back and checked the envelope a couple times to see if there was another card in there. This here will certainly be the most talked about event and it'll hopefully make more people aware of the film. Social media is going nuts saying Beatty screwed up but he wasn't the one who read the film. I'm sure it'll be cleared up soon.

To be fair to Beatty & Dunaway, they're up there on live TV in the biggest moment of the night in front of 1 billion viewers, and had to make a snap decision what to do. I think their "show must go on" mentality just took hold. The mistake was not theirs, you can second-guess they way they handled it but put any of us on that stage and no one can say they'd do better. The important thing was the mistake was quickly corrected and everyone - Kimmel, Beatty, the LLL and Moonlight teams - handled it with grace and humility,

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was also perplexed that the accountants/producers don't have a better contingency plan to immediately jump out on stage if there's an error. As soon as Faye announced LLL, someone in a suit should have been running out to fix it.

It wasn't as bad as the Steve Harvey thing, but still I think it should have and could have been corrected even before most of the LLL folks made it on the stage, let alone launched into the acceptance speech.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't rooting for La La Land, but what a devastating moment to be the middle of an acceptance speech only to have it ripped away from you. You'd think if there was one envelope they'd make sure to get right, it'd be the Best Picture envelope. Congratulations to the Moonlight team, though, especially for handling it as gracefully as they did.

I didn't really have a lot of horses in the race this year, and the one I was really rooting for (Best Adapted Screenplay for Arrival) didn't come in.

Well, I only got 11 of 24, but I feel pretty good about that considering this may have been the most surprising Oscars ever.
I also got 11 out of 24. I did very well in the second half, but I bombed nearly every category in the first half.
OscarBallot_2017_results.png

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well Beatty clearly saw something wrong but instead of trying to get it right he tossed Faye right under the bus by just handing her the card to read.

I think it was the same card used to announce Stone as winner and somehow it made its way to Warrens hands.

It was not the same card. Emma Stone had it in her hand the whole time. They handed him the wrong card. What an epic f up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes I just saw Emma say she had her card the entire time.

Plot deepens.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
So, how many envelopes for each category do they have? I figured they had 1 per category and the winners got to keep them. Or was the actress card also in the BP envelope?

La La Land will always be BP in my heart, it's my favorite movie of the year. My wife loved it as well.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Why 2? So, it may not have been a "stuffing" problem but a stage hand problem. I guess they were just handed the wrong one and didn't notice, until it was to late.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If there's anything good to come out of this, it's that it should finally put to rest the vicious rumors that Marisa Tomei only won her Oscar for My Cousin Vinny because Jack Palance announced the wrong name.

Now we know what happens when a presenter does announce the wrong name. They don't just sweep it under the rug.

EDIT: But then again, if Jordan Horowitz hadn't noticed the discrepancy on the envelope, who knows what would have happened.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have to admit, seeing the Best Picture winner and runner up is low on my list. The two I want to see is "My Life as a Zucchini" and "The Red Turtle". Visually, TRT looks great.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what an Oscar night! I was 18 out of 24 until the awkward switch to 'Moonlight' at the end. But 17 out of 24 is still pretty darn good. I might even be good enough to win the "Pick the Winners' contest at the charity event we attended.

Speaking of which... My wife and I will do that Red Carpet Gala dinner party again next year, and the year after, and the year after that. It was a FABULOUS time. They had a HUGE projection screen and two side projection screens that were also fairly large. The sound system was excellent and the commercial spots were replaced with movie trivia, prize giveaways, and silent auction prizes. My wife and I took home a huge gift basket full of treats and gift cards, two goodie bags we won during the trivia contest, and our silent auction item: 4 season passes to the Clubhouse at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club!

Photos later!

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That is a blurry shot of the envelope Warren opened.

Clipped from twitter

Also posted to twitter. PWH has a set of envelopes on both sides of the stage.

Someone gave them the wrong one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks