What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2015 NFL Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Dheiner said:
Even as a huge Green Bay fan, I have no problem with Pre-season games. Teams HAVE to get their timing right and the only way that happens is by playing. If you eliminate Pre-Season games, you just move the crappy play to the Regular Season.

Nelson got hurt because he landed funny after catching a high pass. That could have happened at any time.

Now, Pittsburgh losing their 3 time pro-bowl center because he got rolled into....That Sucks!!

I don't want to come across as I am whining about injuries, I do believe it is part of the game and a team if they want to be successful needs to learn to overcome losing players to injury. I also don't have an issue with preseason games but I don't think they need 4 of them. If you are talking about timing between QBs and WRs that really is worked out in practice. Timing is the thing you can get down in practice what is missing in practice is you are not going to get hit at full speed by an opposing player that is attempting to clean your clock or knock the ball loose. Mainly the game experience is just to get used to speed of play and getting hit. Most veteran players don't even play the majority of the preseason and many of them do everything they can to avoid being on the field in any preseason game. We do get crappy play the first two to three weeks of the season because this is really when the starting rosters are on the field for more than a few series and players acclimate to playing 4 quarters of football again. Basically, it takes until week 4 of the regular season before teams really are up to speed and playing well. The first month of the season is when the veterans and starters actually get to gel and come together and playing a few series in the preseason does not improve or speed up this transition. Players will talk about speed of the game and getting used to getting hit again as the biggest aspects of playing in a preseason game. Also just getting back the awareness you need on the football field when there are 11 other guys on it that want to knock you out.

Mainly other than veteran guys like Sam Bradford, who really needs to get back on the field because he was off it for so long, most veteran players get nothing out of preseason. It's just for the coaches to sort out the back end of the roster and see who they might want to bring back for the practice squad or look for players to bring back if they lose a guy to injury.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
And speaking of Bradford, the main thing I think he gets back by playing during the preseason was on display when he got belted by Suggs and that is basically his confidence that he can take a hit and get back up and what it feels like to be out there with guys that are really coming after you. I think his timing, running Kelly's offense, getting to know his weapons and his line...that can all get done in practice. On game day though he needs to feel comfortable taking a hit and knowing that is coming and still execute with all that going on. Still it would have really been lousy if that low shot Suggs took on him ended his season and we never got to see Chip Kelly's little experiment play out in Philly.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
But, timing matters, because nobody (NOBODY) goes full speed in practice.

They do in Pre-season games, because a few of the guys playing, at all times, are fighting to make the team, or to hold off someone from taking their job.

It is the ONLY time when they can really work on their timing. and it is not just QB and receivers, Offensive Linemen have to adjust to how the new guys handle stunts, Defensive Linemen need to figure out stunts themselves, Linebackers, and DBs need to work against shifting offenses.

If they cut the Pre-Season any more, crappy early season play will REALLY start to affect the regular season, and I, for one, don't want that happening.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
On to actual football! Woohoo! :D

Yes, hopefully the media will start focusing on actual football instead of this crap.

It's not the NFL, but Michigan plays at Utah tonight in Jim Harbaugh's coaching debut with his alma mater. Finally, some real football. Go Blue!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Scott Merryfield said:
Yes, hopefully the media will start focusing on actual football instead of this crap.

It's not the NFL, but Michigan plays at Utah tonight in Jim Harbaugh's coaching debut with his alma mater. Finally, some real football. Go Blue!

I'm giddy with excitement.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think Jim is a very good coach but no question he rubs people the wrong way and has no idea how to curb that. I think he'll be at Michigan for the next decade but he does have the potential to piss somebody off and leave in a hurry.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think Harbaugh will be quite successful at Michigan, but I am looking at the situation through Maize and Blue colored glasses. If he is successful, his demeanor will be tolerated in Ann Arbor more than it would be in the NFL. College coaches can get away with being abrasive more than pro coaches -- as long as they win. If Harbaugh returns the program to prominence, he will be revered in Ann Arbor, even if he is a jackass at times. He'll just remind folks of Bo, who could be quite abrasive at times, too (especially in his younger days)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
After watching Jake Rudock play QB for Iowa the past 2 years, I wasn't surprise that he stumble around in his 1st start for

Michigan.

Glad the PreSeason is over.

I'll predict my Vikings will go 9-7 but miss the playoffs.

Teddy Bridgewater looks to be the real deal.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
ponset said:
After watching Jake Rudock play QB for Iowa the past 2 years, I wasn't surprise that he stumble around in his 1st start for

Michigan.

Glad the PreSeason is over.

I'll predict my Vikings will go 9-7 but miss the playoffs.

Teddy Bridgewater looks to be the real deal.

Even though I watch Big Ten football (being a huge Michigan fan), I do not recall having seen Rudock play at Iowa (the Hawkeyes have been off my radar for a few years). After watching last night's game, I can see why you were not surprised, Scott. ;) Rudock looked terrible, throwing 3 interceptions and missing 3 wide open receivers for potential TD passes by the time I turned the game off at 24-10. Hopefully, in this rebuilding year, we will eventually see one of the freshman QB's, since the current "veteran" backup (Shane Morris) isn't any better than Rudock.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Here in Philly, never in my life have I heard so much talk about the 3rd string quarterback position.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Bob_S. said:
Here in Philly, never in my life have I heard so much talk about the 3rd string quarterback position.

My guess is because the writers realize that the 3rd stringer will probably have to start a few games.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You are correct that how the judge made his decision was not about Brady's guilt or innocence...because the judge felt the entire Wells report was a joke and warned the NFL about this prior to making his decision. So, Brady was and could only be seen as innocent by the judge and so the judge required no statement on that. He ruled on the fact that Goodell and the NFL went pee pee all over the collective bargaining agreement, ignored their own rules, and passed down a ridiculous penalty that the judge saw as nothing but vindictive nonsense.

This whole thing has been one of the most ridiculous and poorly handled events in the history of the NFL and Goodell and most of the NFL head office and certainly their legal team (who provided some of the worst advice ever given a client) should be tossed out before they kick off the 2016 season.

ESPN, who hilariously call themselves the world leader in sports reporting should also clean house because they have made a total mockery of journalism and wiped their behind with truth and ethics. If they handled real news the way they handle writing about the NFL they basically would make Goebbels look like Gandhi.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reggie W said:
You are correct that how the judge made his decision was not about Brady's guilt or innocence...because the judge felt the entire Wells report was a joke and warned the NFL about this prior to making his decision. So, Brady was and could only be seen as innocent by the judge and so the judge required no statement on that. He ruled on the fact that Goodell and the NFL went pee pee all over the collective bargaining agreement, ignored their own rules, and passed down a ridiculous penalty that the judge saw as nothing but vindictive nonsense.

This whole thing has been one of the most ridiculous and poorly handled events in the history of the NFL and Goodell and most of the NFL head office and certainly their legal team (who provided some of the worst advice ever given a client) should be tossed out before they kick off the 2016 season.

ESPN, who hilariously call themselves the world leader in sports reporting should also clean house because they have made a total mockery of journalism and wiped their behind with truth and ethics. If they handled real news the way they handle writing about the NFL they basically would make Goebbels look like Gandhi.
Can we move on please. I'm so sick of this off field stuff dominating the NFL discussion without talking about the actual game of NFL football, I'm almost ready to start a new thread just to discuss that crap.

So the season begins tomorrow night. I just hope my Raiders make some progress with their young roster. I don't think the Giants will fare as well with their roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks