What's new

2014 - 2015 NHL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Those were the days. If the date is correct (and some of the comments dispute or confirm this), the fight occurred the same day that Tom Dempsey kicked his then record 63-yard field goal.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, the Bruins lost in OT 3-2. Thank goodness they get a point though due to the Merryfield rule. That's easily one of the best decisions the NHL has ever made. ;)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Pat Quinn saved hockey in Vancouver on many levels.As a player during his rookie season (with the Maple Leafs, sadly) he laid out Bobby Orr with a legal open ice hit that knocked Orr unconscious and started a bench clearing brawl. Orr missed a few games afterwards. Because he was a rookie, he had the task of getting the beer for the team bus when they left the garden. He stopped in an Irish Catholic bar near the arena filled with fans, many of whom were at the game that night and mad as heck that the greatest player in the league was hurt. For one long awkward minute he stood in the entrance thinking someone was going to fight him or smash a bottle over him, or something, but eventually someone patted him on the back with a "great hit, Patty!" and applause from the bar. He was a tough kid we got in '70 through the expansion draft that gave the club some early respect in the league. As a coach in 92 (I think that was the year) during one of the worst stretches the team had ever had in that era, he skated on to the ice at the start of practise, didn't say a word, smashed a stick to pieces against the boards at the players bench, and walked off the ice as calmly as he arrived. The team then went on to a 9 game win streak, the longest in team history (a record that still stands today I believe).As president and GM, he drafted "the captain" Trevor Linden #2 overall behind Mike Modano in 88, Pavel Bure #113 in 89 (and helped him defect from the Soviet Union to become an NHLer), and made two of the most lopsided trades in NHL history (BC boys Geoff Courtnall and Cliff Ronning, as well as Robert Dirk and Sergio Momesso and futures for Garth Butcher and Dan Quinn to St. Louis in 91) and (Alex Stojanov to Pittsburgh for a guy named Markus Naslund in '96)Of course the Canucks went on to the Stanley Cup Final vs. the Rangers in '94, but fell to them in 7 games after come back wins in games 5 and 6 because of injuries to 6 key starters, including Linden's fractured ribs and torn rib cartilage that he played through the last four games of the final. trevor_linden_gallery_23.jpgQuinn was someone that people were just drawn to. he was a storyteller, a great communicator, and taught his players a hockey vision that is a rare skill set. He commanded a level of respect at all levels which led to his success. He was fired by new ownership in 1998 who he didn't see eye to eye with (don't get me started on John McCaw and Family, they are not well liked in this city) and went on to further success with the Leafs and Team Canada.Quinn is a lock for HHOF Builder and I'd like to see him in next year. He would have gone in this year if not for his conflict of interest (he served on the HHOF selection committee)Here is our pre-game tribute to Pat Quinn from Tuesday (vs. Cory Schneider and the Devils, a game we won 2-0) Not a dry eye in the house, I have NO idea how anyone could play a hockey game after that. And a tribute video on Canucks TVAnd the Bobby Orr hit

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Whew! Thank goodness we're going to a wonderful shootout in the Sabres - Canadiens game. I could not live with myself if any team (especially the loser) were to be denied their entitled point! Thank goodness there are no longer ties. ;) :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,Whew! Thank goodness we're going to a wonderful shootout in the Sabres - Canadiens game. I could not live with myself if any team (especially the loser) were to be denied their entitled point! Thank goodness there are no longer ties. ;) :)
Yes, the Habs were able to scrounge up just a lousy loser point in back to back games against the mighty Sabres. Former captain Brian Gionta scored the tying goal late in the third period for Buffalo.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Best hockey moment has to be the Bruins 2011 Cup win to cap off the Decade of Boston Sports dominance.

Here's hopin' the Sox started another one last year! :)

(I was an infant in '72 and only vaguely recall the Miracle on Ice from when it actually happened.)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I thought the Red Wings were going to pull another late third-period rabbit out of their hat tonight. Alas, it was not meant to be. And isn't Carlo a Kings fan? I think I have that right. Well, the Bruins are in town tonight, baby! ;)

Scott,You might recall that on occasion I've mentioned that my good friend (our minister) is a huge Steelers fan (he has been since the 1960s). He also loves the Penguins and the Pirates. He and I have been discussing the Penguins and their shutouts this year as well as Fleury's 300th win recently. The other day I joked with him, saying the way Fleury has been playing lately, he may not give up another goal all year. With that being said, and despite the recent success of the Bruins against the Penguins in the playoffs, I'm hoping that somehow the Pens play the Habs early on in this year's playoffs. ;)

I also have this running gag with him, which started at about the same time that Big Ben was throwing a half dozen touchdowns per-game there for a while. Now whenever the Steelers play a sub-.500 team or anyone at home, I refer to those as 'byes.' Unfortunately, that gag wore thin against the Saints recently!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

The Habs do not match up well with the Pens, so I'm hoping they can avoid Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Fleury, though, is always an enigma -- he can be unbeatable, or at times he couldn't stop a beach ball. I still think the Lightening are the most likely team to come out of the East. Their biggest question mark is goaltending, as Bishop in the playoffs is an unknown.

For some reason, even though my mother and her family are from western PA, I only became a Steelers fan, and have no attachment to any of the other Pittsburgh teams. I guess that's not too unusual, though, as I recall that the Pirates had trouble getting fans even when they were winning the World Series in 1979. Pittsburgh is a football town.

I got some very sad news today -- it looks like our local Plymouth Whalers team from the OHL will be relocating next season. They recently sold the arena to the US National Team Development Program (USNTP), which has two teams currently based in Ann Arbor. There have been rumors for a few years that Karmanos may sell the team, and it appears either that has happened or he is just moving to somewhere in Ontario to hopefully get better attendance.

The team has become a big part of my wife and my life, so it will be very sad to see them go. Our winter Saturday nights for years have been a routine of going to dinner and then to the Whalers game. We have met lots of nice people there -- other Whalers fans, fans from opposing teams, and team employees. A few have become good friends. I'll miss seeing future NHL stars live and up close. Over the past few years, I have been lucky enough to see players like Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, James Neal and Tyler Seguin before most hockey fans have ever heard of them.

BTW, two Plymouth Whalers were named to Team USA for this year's World Junior Championship tournament, to be held in Toronto and Montreal between 12/26 - 1/5. Goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic (Carolina 2nd round pick) and forward Sonny Milano (Columbus 1st round pick) will be playing for the American side. The NHL Network televises a lot of the tournament, and I would highly recommend that any hockey fan watch some of the action. It is highly entertaining, featuring most of the world's best players under 20 years of age.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,I completely agree with regard to Jean Beliveau. We've been seeing some significant hockey people pass recently.

Sorry to hear of your Whalers leaving town. I remember many years ago when the Cape Cod Cubs (EHL) ceased to exist. They were coached by Bronco Horvath (he also coached the London Knights for a time). I realize that your situation is a bit different, since your team is relocating. And the Cape Cod Cubs only played for a couple of seasons. Still, going to the Cape Cod Coliseum was a treat for me back in the early 1970s.

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/cape-cod-cubs-5138.html

You sure have seen some wonderful talent. That's quite a list of future NHL stars. I remember telling you about Tyler Seguin long before you had even heard of him. ;) Thanks for the info. on the World Junior Championship tournament. I'll try to catch some of that when it airs.

Note to Carlo: I don't believe those were the Boston Bruins that came to town last night after all. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Lots of nice tributes to Jean Beliveau on NHL.com. This is a very sad day in Habs land. The labels "legend" and "great" get thrown around way too often, but those labels do not even do justice to Mr. Beliveau's life.

The reports on Gordie Howe's health are not good, either. I'm afraid we will be losing another of the monumental legends soon.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

You may now sit down. And you're welcome. :)

espo5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks