What's new

2014 - 2015 NHL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the link, Scott. I see Mantha was injured in the same NHL Prospects tournament in Traverse City where the Plymouth Whalers top player, Sonny Milano (Columbus Bluejackets 1st round pick), was injured. Milano broke some bones in his face after getting checked from behind and required surgery, but he returned to the Plymouth lineup a few weeks ago. He just switched back from a protective cage to the standard clear plastic face shield last week, though.

I don't think the Wings will be giving Mantha away to the Bruins, like Boston gave away Seguin (I just cannot stop bringing that up, can I? ;) ). Did you see that Seguin leads the NHL in goals scored? BTW, if you want to return the favor of the kidding, you can just bring up the Habs giving away Ryan McDonagh to the Rangers for Scott Gomez. :lol: That one still hurts.

FYI, Mantha played in the QMJHL (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League), not the OHL, so I never saw him play. The QMJHL, OHL and WHL (Western Hockey League) comprise the CHL (Canadian Hockey League), which is the umbrella organization for Canadian major junior hockey. Think of the CHL like the NCAA, with the three leagues being conferences like the Big Ten, SEC, etc. The difference is that each league has its own region of where it can draft players from (instead of recruiting), with the OHL being Ontario and some midwest states, the QMJHL being provinces east of Ontario (plus eastern states) and the WHL being provinces west of Ontario (and western states). The only inter league play is the Memorial Cup, where the three league champions plus the host team play in a tournament for the Memorial Cup trophy.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

Thanks for the league information. :)

This morning, one of the commentators I was listening to said that Mantha was the MVP (or something very similar) in three leagues. That can't be right -- I must have misunderstood what they said. And speaking of Seguin, I have this pipe dream that he will re-sign with the Bruins one day. It's just a feeling I have, obviously.

It pains me to write this, but right now I believe that Montreal (regardless of record) is the best team in the Eastern Conference. Of course, the playoffs are another story (just ask the Penguins).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,

Thanks for the league information. :)

This morning, one of the commentators I was listening to said that Mantha was the MVP (or something very similar) in three leagues. That can't be right -- I must have misunderstood what they said. And speaking of Seguin, I have this pipe dream that he will re-sign with the Bruins one day. It's just a feeling I have, obviously.

It pains me to write this, but right now I believe that Montreal (regardless of record) is the best team in the Eastern Conference. Of course, the playoffs are another story (just ask the Penguins).
I do not know where MVP of three leagues comes from, unless it was in younger leagues, but Mantha won the Michel Briere Trophy as league MVP of the QMJHL for the 2013-2014 season.

As for the Habs being the best team in the East, I think the conference is too evenly balanced to identify any single team as the best. The battle for the playoffs, as well as getting to the Cup Finals is going to be wide open this season. Montreal still has a few holes to fill, and I have my doubts they can fill those holes this season. Specifically, they still need a top RW to play with Pacioretty (Vanek showed how much that can improve the team briefly last season), and a #1 center. I have said this many times here -- Desharnais is not a #1 center. I believe Galchenyuk can eventually fill that role, but it is a question of (1) is the 20 year old ready for that yet, and (2) who would replace him on the wing of the 2nd line?

Those two roles are very difficult to fill mid-season without giving up a lot. The team has very good candidates for those roles in the AHL or CHL, but none of those prospects are NHL-ready yet. Hopefully Bergevin can pull off some trade deadline magic like he did last year in getting Vanek for very little.

That doesn't mean the Habs cannot win the East, as every team in the conference has flaws, and somebody has to win (the Rangers showed that last season). Tampa is probably the team that scares me the most right now as a Canadiens fan.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Mantha won the CHL player of the year last year. There are three leagues in the Canadian hockey league. Quebec, Ontario, western. I'm sure that's what this guy was talking about.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Don't get me wrong, Paul. I think, barring significant injuries, that the Habs are in the top half of the East. However, I am not sure that is very significant, as the conference is pretty balanced and no single team appears to be dominant. Any of the 8 teams that end up qualifying for the playoffs may have a legitimate shot of getting to the Finals -- the picture, of course, will become much clearer in April.

I am not complaining, though. I think Marc Bergevin has done a great job in rebuilding a team that had just finished last in the conference when he took over. He's made the core of the team much younger, has cut out a lot of dead weight, is unwilling to give away top prospects like the previous regime, and corrects his own mistakes quickly (Briere signing, Moen extension).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Last night's Habs - Wings game was a pleasant surprise. This was setup as an expected loss for Montreal -- back-to-back games, plus three in four nights, on the road against a rested opponent, and playing backup goalie Tokarski. The Canadiens looked fresher than Detroit, got a lucky bounce on Subban's goal, but still played well and earned the win.

It doesn't get any easier this week, with Pittsburgh on Tuesday (3 in 4 nights again), St. Louis on Thursday, the Bruins on Saturday, and at the Rangers on Sunday (3 in 4 nights for a 3rd time in a little over a week).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

Normally, I would require that you take your hat off and bow. But since my beloved Bruins were only playing the Canadiens in this game (1928), you may just remove your hat. Thanks. ;)

1977361_10152768319089962_6312388193886048301_n.jpg

http://shop.i-concepts.org/PANORAMA-BOSTON-GARDEN-FIRST-BRUINS-GAME-v-CANADIENS-1928-TSM-cc6100-5x16.htm

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Nice photo, Scott. I bet the Habs won that game. ;)

Bergevin found a taker for Rene Bourque -- he's off to Anaheim for defenseman Bryan Allen. This trade was more about getting rid of a contract than acquiring a player, as Allen is a free agent this summer while Bourque has another year left on his contract. With the trades of dead weights Moen and Bourque over the past week, Bergevin has cleared over $5M of salary for next season. The team has too many defensemen now, though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another trade before the deadline. However, Bergevin strongly believes in depth on the blueline, so maybe not.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Nice photo, Scott. I bet the Habs won that game. ;)

Bergevin found a taker for Rene Bourque -- he's off to Anaheim for defenseman Bryan Allen. This trade was more about getting rid of a contract than acquiring a player, as Allen is a free agent this summer while Bourque has another year left on his contract. With the trades of dead weights Moen and Bourque over the past week, Bergevin has cleared over $5M of salary for next season. The team has too many defensemen now, though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another trade before the deadline. However, Bergevin strongly believes in depth on the blueline, so maybe not.
Scott,I actually could not find a score for that game on the link I provided. However, when I looked up the 1928-1929 season for Montreal, I was pleasantly surprised to learn this:"The Canadiens received a first-round bye and met the Boston Bruins in the semi-finals. In a best-of-five series, the Bruins defeated the Canadiens in three straight. The games were very defensive, Boston scoring five goals in the three games, Montreal only two."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928%E2%80%9329_Montreal_Canadiens_season

And thus began the greatest dynasty the hockey world has ever seen, otherwise known as the Boston Bruins. :)

Side note: As I'm posting this, I'm listening to the Dan Patrick show. Al Michaels is discussing hockey (the 1980 Olympic team and other tidbits).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,

I actually could not find a score for that game on the link I provided. However, when I looked up the 1928-1929 season for Montreal, I was pleasantly surprised to learn this:

"The Canadiens received a first-round bye and met the Boston Bruins in the semi-finals. In a best-of-five series, the Bruins defeated the Canadiens in three straight. The games were very defensive, Boston scoring five goals in the three games, Montreal only two."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928%E2%80%9329_Montreal_Canadiens_season

And thus began the greatest dynasty the hockey world has ever seen, otherwise known as the Boston Bruins. :)

Stanley Cups:
Montreal Canadiens 23
Toronto Maple Leafs 13
Detroit Red Wings 11
Boston Bruins 6 ;)

All-Time Postseason Series Results

[*]1929 Semi-final: Bruins 3–0
[*]1930 Stanley Cup Final: Canadiens 2–0
[*]1931 Semi-final: Canadiens 3–2
[*]1943 Quarter-final: Bruins 4–1
[*]1946 Stanley Cup Final: Canadiens 4–1
[*]1947 Semi-final: Canadiens 4–1
[*]1952 Semi-final: Canadiens 4–3
[*]1953 Stanley Cup Final: Canadiens 4–1
[*]1954 Semi-final: Canadiens 4–0
[*]1955 Semi-final: Canadiens 4–1
[*]1957 Stanley Cup Final: Canadiens 4–1
[*]1958 Stanley Cup Final: Canadiens 4–2
[*]1968 Quarter-finals: Canadiens 4–0
[*]1969 Semi-finals: Canadiens 4–2
[*]1971 Quarter-finals: Canadiens 4–3
[*]1977 Stanley Cup Final: Canadiens 4–0
[*]1978 Stanley Cup Final: Canadiens 4–2
[*]1979 Semi-finals: Canadiens 4–3
[*]1984 Division semi-finals: Canadiens 3–0
[*]1985 Division semi-finals: Canadiens 3–2
[*]1986 Division semi-finals: Canadiens 3–0
[*]1987 Division semi-finals: Canadiens 4–0
[*]1988 Division final: Bruins 4–1
[*]1989 Division final: Canadiens 4–1
[*]1990 Division final: Bruins 4–1
[*]1991 Division final: Bruins 4–3
[*]1992 Division final: Bruins 4–0
[*]1994 Conference quarter-finals: Bruins 4–3
[*]2002 Conference quarter-finals: Canadiens 4–2
[*]2004 Conference quarter-finals: Canadiens 4–3
[*]2008 Conference quarter-finals: Canadiens 4–3
[*]2009 Conference quarter-finals: Bruins 4–0
[*]2011 Conference quarter-finals: Bruins 4–3
[*]2014 Conference semi–finals: Canadiens 4–3
[/list]

Just a little dry spell there from 1943 - 1988. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Side note: As I'm posting this, I'm listening to the Dan Patrick show. Al Michaels is discussing hockey (the 1980 Olympic team and other tidbits).
On that side note, watching replays of that semi-final win against the USSR still gives me chills every time. I was a senior in high school then, and remember the game was not shown on live TV. We went to a high school basketball game that evening, and the final score of the hockey game was announced over the PA during the basketball game. The entire crowd started chanting "USA! USA!". We were supposed to take our girlfriends out after the bball game, but told them plans were changed and we were all going over to one of the guy's house to watch the tape delay broadcast instead. The girls were not happy, but we really didn't care. :lol: Even knowing the final score, we still didn't believe it until the game was over as we watched the tape delay.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,I've asked the moderators to remove post #132 above on the grounds that it may be a bit too depressing for me. I'm sure you can understand. ;)

I too stared at the results of the 1980 game in disbelief. I've often thought what are the greatest moments I've experienced in all of sports, and that one is easily in my top five. (I'm not being evasive on the other moments -- it's just that they do change every now and then so rank-ordering them is not very easy for me to do.)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

Just for fun. :) Goodness, I loved watching Orr play in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Little did I really know what I was seeing at the time.Okay, without regard to rank-ordering, I think my top 'five' (yes, I know there are six items) might look something like this. I think in each case the defining factor for me was that the performance brought me to tears. And interestingly, they still do today whenever I watch film clips of those events.
Boston Bruins victory over the St. Louis Blues (1972)
Boston Celtics victory over the Los Angeles Lakers (1984)
Boston Red Sox 0-3 comeback against the New York Yankees (2004)
New York Mets (1969) ("You gotta believe!") / US Olympic Hockey Team victory over U.S.S.R (1980) (tie)
Olga Korbut (1972) (What she did on the uneven bars was for the time dangerous, innovative, and in my opinion extraordinary)

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I think a top-ten would be fun to do sometime too. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The U.S. win over the Soviets is easily the top sports moment I've witnessed as it unfolded (can't really say "live" as it was tape delayed). Making a top 5 most memorable list would be difficult, but here is just off the top of my head:

[*]U.S. over the Soviets (1980)
[*]Franco Harris's Immaculate Reception to beat the Raiders (1972)
[*]U.S. 1-1 tie versus Switzerland in 1994 World Cup of Soccer (1994) -- I actually attended this game at the Silverdome, one of two WC games I attended there
[*]Detroit Tigers World Series victory over San Diego (1984) -- I was still watching baseball then, was working in downtown Detroit at the time, and attended a lot of games that year
[*]Montreal Canadiens 1993 Stanley Cup -- I grew up almost expecting the Canadiens to win the Cup every year, as they won so many times when I was a kid in the '70's. At this point I appreciated how difficult winning the Cup is, and Patrick Roy's performance in those playoffs was amazing, winning 10 overtime games.
[/list]
I would also include Michigan's 1998 Rose Bowl win over Washington State, except I'm still bitter that this ended up being a split national championship only because Tom Osborne announced his retirement before Nebraska's Orange Bowl game and the coach's decided to move Nebraska ahead of Michigan in their final poll as a retirement gift.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

Franco Harris's Immaculate Reception to beat the Raiders in 1972 would definitely be in my top-ten. And I saw that one as it happened. :) Another one that would make my top-ten would be Dempsey's 63-yard field goal on November 8, 1970. That was an amazing moment for me. (Remember too, that at that time I was first and foremost a Boston Patriots fan. :) )

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,

Franco Harris's Immaculate Reception to beat the Raiders in 1972 would definitely be in my top-ten. And I saw that one as it happened. :) Another one that would make my top-ten would be Dempsey's 63-yard field goal on November 8, 1970. That was an amazing moment for me. (Remember too, that at that time I was first and foremost a Boston Patriots fan. :) )
I saw both those as they happened, too. In fact, the Dempsey field goal was probably my first real Detroit Lions memory... as well as the first in a long list of Lions disappointments. Luckily it was a road game in Tulane Stadium, or else the game would have been blacked out here locally, as all NFL games were in the home market back then.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
...and in keeping with the theme of personal great sports moments while also getting the discussion back to hockey, probably my greatest joy in sports growing up was watching Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights on Channel 9 out of Windsor, Ontario (which is just across the river from Detroit). My grandfather used to repair TV's as a hobby, so he would get broken TV's, repair them, and give them to the family. So, I was the only kid I knew who had a TV in his room growing up (imagine that today!), but my TV only had the VHF channels 2-13. Therefore, I couldn't watch the Red Wings, who were on one of the UHF channels (either Channel 20 or Channel 50).

I fell in love with the "Flying Frenchmen" style of play and those exotic French-Canadian names while watching Hockey Night in Canada. When Montreal won the Cup in '71, they were the first team I ever rooted for to win a championship, and I was hooked for life. I would actually keep score of the games, and keep my own "league standings", "top scorers" and "three stars standings" for the games I watched. The "league leaders" was always a battle between Canadiens and Leafs players, as CBC would show one of those two teams for their weekly national telecast. I actually saw Daryl Sittler's NHL record 10 point night against the Bruins live on HNiC.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Your mention of keeping score of the games reminds me of a couple of things. First, I used to keep score of many baseball games as they happened years ago. (My guess is that Mike Frezon has done this as well as he is an avid baseball fan.)

I also used to cut out the standings (and box scores) for the MLB, NBA, NFL, and the NHL almost every day for a few years. What I would do is cut them out of the newspaper, trim them down as best I could with scissors, and then tape them inside of a notebook. There was just something magical about doing that for a few years during my early teens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks