1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2014 - 2015 NHL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Merryfield, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
  2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Seguin had an assist, too. At least the Habs only have to face him twice per season, now that the Bruins generously sent him to the Western Conference. :D

3. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Scott Merryfield likes this.
  4. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Well done moment for #4 tonight. I wish my guys would have shown up to play. Crappy game overall esp third period. You guys also got Gallagher on the cheap. Great deal!

5. Scott Merryfield

Paul,
    I did not see any of the game -- it wasn't on TV here, and I did not feel like sitting at my computer to watch a stream. I was glad to see the results, though. I read a little about the tribute to Mr. Beliveau -- sounds like it was well done.

Yes, the Gallagher deal is decent for the team and the cap. It will be interesting to see what they do for Galchenyuk -- who hopefully takes advantage of the line shakeup that has put him at center in place of Desharnais on Pacioretty's line, as I had been hoping for.

6. Scott Merryfield

I see the Bruins are permitting Pastrnak to play for his national team in the World Junior Championships. That gives you another reason to watch some of the games, Scott. BTW, Pastrnak is 2nd amongst AHL rookies in scoring -- but the player he trails is Hamilton's Charles Hudon, a Habs prospect.

With Lars Eller scheduled to return from injury very soon, it's going to be interesting to see how the lines will shape up in Montreal. Rookie Sven Andrighetto has played very well since being called up to fill Galchenyuk's spot on the wing (2 goals and an assist in 3 games), and Galchenyuk has looked good centering the #1 line. Desharnais is filling Eller's spot centering the 3rd line right now. With the Canadiens struggling on offense, I would hate to see Andrighetto sent back to Hamilton. It may be time to try Desharnais on the wing of the 3rd line. He really belongs on that third line anyway.

Speaking of good looking rookies, Canadiens rookie Jiri Sekac had a highlight reel spin 'o rama goal last night against the Kings.

7. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Scott,Thanks. Sometime in the future please don't choose Pastrnak for any of your fantasy teams. ;) And I'd also like for you to guarantee that he won't end up being traded away (a la Seguin) by the Bruins. But you can ship Hudon our way if you wish. :)

I see the Blackhawks are again looking formidable. I thought we might pull that game out the other night. Over the past few years they have somehow found a way to play very consistently for much of the regular season.

8. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
  9. Scott Merryfield

There has to be other worthy cities to get the New Year's Day game without resorting to giving it to a city that's already hosted, isn't there? What about hosting the game in either Toronto or Montreal - neither city has had an outdoor game?

Former Red Wing and Canuck Todd Bertuzzi was sitting behind us last night at the Plymouth Whalers game. He was watching his nephew, Red Wings draft pick Tyler Bertuzzi, who plays for the visiting Guelph Storm. Tyler ended up with 2 goals and an assist in the Storm's 3-2 overtime win -- at least the Whalers got a loser point! ;) I took a quick snap shot.

[​IMG]

Ockeghem likes this.
  10. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
  11. Scott Merryfield

...and the Caps got a loser point for the effort. ;)

Speaking of loser points, the Red Wings are becoming quite adept at accumulating them. They are currently tied with the Habs for 2nd in the division -- one point behind the Lightening. If loser points were treated like real losses, though, they would be fourth in the division and trailing both the Habs and Tampa by 6 points.

Alex Galchenyuk notched his first career hat trick for the Canadiens last night. The 20 year old is really starting to blossom, and hopefully this will help him stay in the #1 center role when Eller returns from injury. It's nice to see a player I watched in the OHL doing so well with Montreal -- both Galchenyuk and Edmonton's Nail Yakupov played together with the Sarnia Sting. Yakupov was taken #1 overall and Galchenyuk #3 overall in the 2012 NHL Draft. Once again, it looks like Edmonton made the wrong choice with a #1 pick.

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Nothing like a day of "we traded Seguin for Ericsson and Ericsson SUCKS!" chatter to get some points out of the guy (nonsense goal that it was). :)

13. Scott Merryfield

I'll help you out a little more, Aaron. "You guys traded Seguin for Ericsson and Ericsson sucks! What a boneheaded trade". :D

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    My consolation is that my anger at the Joe Thornton debacle is still intense enough to distract me from being pissed off about this one. ;)

(Granted, the Bs have a recent Cup and Joe doesn't, but still. . .)

15. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    It was quite a hit on Pacioretty. I've seen worse, but I also think there should have been some sort of a penalty called in this instance. I don't know if the Ducks are really this good or if they're just doing what they often do during the regular season as opposed to the playoffs.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400563976

16. Scott Merryfield

Yes, it should have been a boarding call. Hopefully Patches is not injured too badly.

17. Scott Merryfield

Strange doings in New Jersey. They fire coach Peter DeBoer, but do not replace him. Instead, Adam Oates will coach the offense and Scott Stevens the defense, while GM Lou Lamoriello will oversee things on the bench. The team is also missing four players due to mumps. Looks like the Devils have entered the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.

BTW, DeBoer is a former head coach of my hometown Plymouth Whalers (OHL), and is currently a part owner of the Oshawa Generals of the OHL.

18. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Watching the Bruins/Red Wings game this evening, I couldn't help, but think about Scott Atwell and how I am going to miss his comments in this thread.

19. Scott Merryfield

Same here, David. I was watching some of the World Junior Championship tourney this afternoon, and saw Bruins prospect Pastrnak score a game winning goal in OT for the Czechs. The first thing I thought of was Scott.

DavidJ likes this.
  20. Scott Merryfield

The Penguins obtained David Perron from Edmonton for a 1st round drat pick and an average prospect. Perron is struggling with the Oilers, but everyone is playing bad on that horrible team. It should be a good deal for Pittsburgh, as Perron is still only 26 years old and should put up decent points playing with either Crosby or Malkin. It will be a low 1st round pick, and considering how poorly Edmonton develops young players, chances are the pick will be a flop anyway.