What's new

2013 NFL Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
ESPN SportScience studied the play and determined scientifically that Gronkowski could have gotten to the ball without the interference. As a complement, Pope Francis has unscientifically declared the same thing. :)

At any rate, the rule is "clearly uncatchable." It's intended for balls that are going outside the field of play. Someone yesterday commented that, theoretically, Lester might have tipped the ball into the air, making it catchable by anyone. (The tip would not negate the interference, since it would have come after the contact.) Which is why officials should not be calling back interference flags when the ball is in the field of play and in the vicinity of players. (In fact, I don't think that it's ever actually happened before.)

Dean Blandino should have pulled a Jim Joyce instead of sorta-kinda defending the now clearly incorrect call.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Meanwhile, the Lions continue to find new and entertaining ways to lose football games. You have to hand it to them -- they may have sucked for the last half-century, but they suck in style! :lol:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still don't know how the Patriots managed to win the game after spotting the Broncos a 24-point lead at half-time...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
I still don't know how the Patriots managed to win the game after spotting the Broncos a 24-point lead at half-time...
I went to bed at halftime, and was shocked this morning to find out the Pats won. Manning and bad, cold weather strikes again. I also understand that Bellichek went to the Marty Mornhinweg school of "we'll take the wind" in OT. It could have worked for Marty, too, if he wasn't stupid enough to accept a holding penalty instead of forcing fourth and long and a 50 yard field goal into the wind.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott and Patrick,It was quite a game. And scoring four unanswered touchdowns and a field goal to start the second half didn't hurt either. ;)

On another note, I believe that the winner of next week's Monday night New Orleans - Seattle game goes to the Super Bowl to represent the NFC.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The Chiefs defense appears to have been quite overrated earlier in the season. They've been anything but impressive lately, now that they're not facing backup qbs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
RobertR said:
The Chiefs defense appears to have been quite overrated earlier in the season. They've been anything but impressive lately, now that they're not facing backup qbs.
The list of opposing QB's that KC faced up until a couple weeks ago was about as unimpressive as any you'll see. I think that had a lot to do with the Chiefs defense being rated so high. The list includes Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Terrelle Pryor, Case Keenum, Jason Campbell, and Jeff Tuel. Not exactly a group that instills fear in a defense.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
The list of opposing QB's that KC faced up until a couple weeks ago was about as unimpressive as any you'll see. I think that had a lot to do with the Chiefs defense being rated so high. The list includes Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Terrelle Pryor, Case Keenum, Jason Campbell, and Jeff Tuel. Not exactly a group that instills fear in a defense.
Scott,Agreed. The Chiefs have now lost three straight since their 9-0 start. Like a couple of other teams, they could be 'one and done.'By the way Scott, shouldn't you be watching the Devils - Canadiens game right about now? ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What a show by Seattle last night. I am hoping for a Seahawks - Panthers playoff game now. (I didn't see that coming at the beginning of the season!)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Draft position is mostly meaningless. The press still loves to point out that Tom Brady was the seventh round, 199th pick in his draft year.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Agreed. Kubiak won't be back with the Texans next year.

It was actually an entertaining game -- much more so than I thought it would be given the teams' records thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks