What's new

2013 - 2014 NHL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You forgot about the cheap shot in the back by Miller to Weise on Monday that resulted in his injured wrist, Jeff. My point is that all teams are guilty of questionable hits and diving (see the video I posted), yet the Bruins come off as whining hypocrites when they continually complain about things they are as guilty of - and in the case of diving, probably more guilty of, since they have the league's Greg Louganis Trophy winner - Marchand - on the team.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
We will agree to disagree. Though you'll notice, once again, that Miller dropped the gloves for his bad hit on Weise. Too bad for Moen that he didn't know Miller was a bull, but Miller did answer the bell. Unlike Emelin, and Subban, and any number of other Habs who turtle and call to the refs. For cripes sake, even Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci fight their own battles when confronted!!

As to Marchand? Yeah, he dives. I hate it, it is ruining the sport, and I will not defend it. But it is not part of the game plan with the Bruins, for they are (once again) last in penalties drawn/PP opportunities, and have been bottom 5 for all the years Claude has been coaching.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, Moen is not much of a fighter, so the outcome wasn't too surprising. It was just too bad he injured himself in that altercation. Can't blame the Bruins for that injury. :)

Anyway, your Bruins are well on their way to the number one seed in the conference, and should be heavy favorites to return to the Cup finals. The Penguins are too shakey with Fleury in net, and the Habs are still a few pieces away. Tampa is the only team I would be worried about, and unfortunately the Habs will face them in the opening round.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was an entertaining game between the Bruins and Flyers this afternoon. The Bruins should have won it in regulation. That puck was bouncing all over the place during the final thirty or so seconds, and the Flyers took advantage of the Bruins not being able to clear it out of in front of their net.

The best moment of the game for me? It had to be the way the Bruins fought off the five-on-three (they were down two men for 1:45). The Flyers managed only one shot on goal during that two-man disadvantage. I'm looking forward to the Blackhawks - Penguins game tonight. That game and the Red Wings - Lightning game are being televised.

I forgot to mention that this is the first time in Bruins franchise history that they have won nine straight regular season road games. I heard this during the game and frankly had never thought of this before.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Hate the call on the faux hand pass that would have been an empty net goal to end it, but at least they took it in the horrible "insult-to-the-sport-to-end-with-a-gimmick-I'd-rather-see-a-tie" shootout. Sick move by Bergeron on his shootout goal, having previously gone 5-hole in 99.9978% of his chances.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jeff Gatie said:
Hate the call on the faux hand pass that would have been an empty net goal to end it, but at least they took it in the horrible "insult-to-the-sport-to-end-with-a-gimmick-I'd-rather-see-a-tie" shootout. Sick move by Bergeron on his shootout goal, having previously gone 5-hole in 99.9978% of his chances.
All of us members of the "I hate the shootout and/or loser point" club can rejoice that in a couple of weeks we will not be subjected to these abominations, as the playoffs will be starting. If you know any Leafs fans, please explain to them about this strange phenomenon where all games are decided by playing actual hockey -- they rarely get to see it. ;)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Wicked burn, Scott. :)ok, can someone please pass along a message to Ovechkin? Stop being such a pouty baby! Boohoo, you lost the Olympics. Can you please start actually playing for the team that is paying you truckloads of money, by scoring copious amounts of goals for the rest of the season?You see, I have him in my pool, and I’m just a few points out of “podium position”. He is killing me. lol

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Goddamnit, I forgot the game was on yesterday and watched Downton Abbey instead. They didn't even kill off any characters. Argh. . .

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
All of us members of the "I hate the shootout and/or loser point" club can rejoice that in a couple of weeks we will not be subjected to these abominations, as the playoffs will be starting. If you know any Leafs fans, please explain to them about this strange phenomenon where all games are decided by playing actual hockey -- they rarely get to see it. ;)

The NHL is starting a new ad campaign based on the Stanley Cup being stolen. The funniest comments I heard about this was:

"Leafs fans took it 'If we cant have it, no one can!'"

"I'm pretty sure they don't know what it looks like."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
10151817_647671705279864_59724798_n.jpg

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A little detour to the FHL. . . The guy who didn't pull a beer out of his pants, because he didn't want to risk suspension, has been suspended for the entire postseason. (Note: this was the final regular-season game and was meaningless.) And the other guy has reportedly been suspended FOR LIFE. I mean, yeah, that was a stupid stunt, but come on! This isn't the NFL! I think the people running this league may have forgotten the concept of "sports." :wacko: :angry:

More details on this "league," which appears to be two-bit in more ways than one:

http://nhl.si.com/2014/04/01/hockey-fight-with-hug-and-beer-stunt-falls-flat-with-players-suspended

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,I can honestly say I have never seen anything like that before! Thanks for sharing. You need to give the players at least 5:00 for 'hugging,' as the announcer said. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's one strange story, Aaron. How can a league at that level with only four teams take itself so seriously as to issue that severe a punishment for such a silly incident?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just read a mind boggling stat -- Ovechkin leads the league with 48 goals scored, and is last in +/- with a -36. I know +/- is not the best way for measuring individual defensive effort, but when you are that bad it is still significant.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
That is a bizarre combination! How the heck does he manage that? Does the 48 include own goals? :lol:
It doesn't include most of them. +/- does not count power play goals, just even strength and shorthanded. Considering that many of Ovy's goals are on the PP and his defense is nonexistent, you can see where he can get a large minus.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jeff Gatie said:
It doesn't include most of them. +/- does not count power play goals, just even strength and shorthanded. Considering that many of Ovy's goals are on the PP and his defense is nonexistent, you can see where he can get a large minus.
That is all true. However, I still find it amazing a guy can both lead the league in goals and be last in +/-. I wonder if that's ever happened before?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Weird game for Montreal in Ottawa tonight. The Habs fell behind 3-0 six minutes into the first period, then scored the next 6 goals on 16 shots to blow out the Senators.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Vancouver has fired their GM Mike Gillis and named former player Trevor Linden as Team President. No real surprise on Gillis after the way the Luongo / Schneider situation was handled. I would expect more firings over the next week as the season ends for a lot of teams. Garth Snow should be nervous in Long Island, Randy Carlyle in Toronto and I've read rumors that Kirk Muller is on thin ice in Carolina.

With the Leafs officially eliminated from postseason contention, this will be the first time since 1973 that only one Canadian-based team will be in the NHL playoffs. Hopefully this is a good omen --I don't have to tell you all who won the Cup that year, do I? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks