What's new

2010 Baseball Discussion (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you haven't read it yet - Can't-Anyone-Here-Play-This-Game?

In all fairness to Marv, a year or two ago an obscure S.F Giant outfielder was running all over the place between 2nd, 3rd and Home where he was finally thrown out by about ten feet in what Jon Miller (who broadcasts the Giants games on radio during the week) called..."the worst base running in the history of Major League Baseball!" They re-play it every now and again just for sh*ts and giggles. It's hilarious.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm

You decide which is really the worst.

I'll take the Ruben Rivera boner. That was all on him--simply atrocious baserunning.

The Dodger's gaffe should belong to the 3rd base coach.

Both, however, a lot of fun to watch. And, hats off to Jon Miller for being able to call that play so clearly. That would be a nightmare for most announcers. Miler handled it with his usual aplomb.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thanks for the links Philip. Those were all too enjoyable.

"I'll take the Ruben Rivera boner. That was all on him--simply atrocious baserunning." (Sorry Mike, my Quote thingy isn't working properly.)

Rivera looked like a 6 year old out there.

I can't believe that Ruben Rivera play is 7 years old. Where has the time gone?

And Ruben Rivera is also the guy who, while a NYY, stole Derek Jeters glove. Remember that? A bonehead on and off the field.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
so what's up with all this fuss in Seattle? 2 players (unnamed) went to a reporter to tell them Ken Griffey Jr was asleep in the clubhouse during a game, and as a result was unable to pinch hit, and the manager had to get someone else. after that particular game (before the story came out), when asked why KG didn't hit, Wakamtsu was very vague as to why he didn't get GK off the bench. then the story came out and all hell broke loose (or at least as much as it can in Seattle). there was a players-only meeting and Mike Sweeny shouted he wanted to fight the 2 guys that talked to the reporter. according to one reporter, there were tears in the clubhouse. now the original reporter that issued the story (who has been covering the Mariners for years) has been estranged and none of the players will talk to him. the other night Cliff Lee was speaking to a group of reporters and when the guy came over, he stopped and wouldn't continue till he left.
anyways, KG hasn't come out and said he wasn't sleeping, but was vague like giving a steroids answer. however it is a relatively well known fact that he does have sleep issues and can only sleep well in his florida home and in the clubhouse, where he sleeps often before games.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
CRAZY night in new york. i changed the channel after the Martinez homer that made it 9-7 Boston, and watched the episode of How I Met Your Mother that was PVR'd during the beginning of the game. then i switched back for the big bottom of the 9th. very lucky i did. regardless of the outcome, Boston obviously is showing signs of life and i can't believe some people were saying they were done a week ago. 6 games out (which is what they were a while back) is nothing in May... or even at the All Star Game. Dice-K looked pretty impressive coming back from that horrific first inning.

and Aaron Boone is an idiot as a commentator.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another horrible Boston loss.

To me, it hearkened of the "ol' days" (pre-2004). Once the Yanks tied the game in the 9th...you knew it was going to be over...and over soon.

It's early in the season, but I can't figure out the 2010 version of the Red Sox. One day they look great...and then there's most days.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Boston was supposed to be about pitching and defense this season... any "timely" hitting. after last night's game they have the second highest runs scored and highest runs allowed in the AL.

something else interesting: the Blue Jays have the third lowest OBP, but the third most runs scored in the AL (lotsa homers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Red Sox are a mediocre team at best.

"To me, it hearkened of the "ol' days" (pre-2004). Once the Yanks tied the game in the 9th...you knew it was going to be over...and over soon."

Mike,

Yes, I was thinking similar things last night. When A-Rod came up, I told my son that this game is tied. Papelbon was simply throwing batting practice out there last night.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the Saux are in town this weekend. The Phils stink in inter league the last few years. 1 win last season.

My wife bought us tickets to one of the Phils/Jays games in June of a series that was movied from Toronto to Philly.

the 3 games will be in Philly but with American league rules including DH, Phils bat first and road jerseys.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
RIP Jose Lima

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100523&content_id=10353540&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc&partnerId=rss_kc

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I can remember Lima being part of the 1-2 punch with Mike Hampton for the Astros. But that 'Stros team always drew the Braves in the playoffs, and could never overcome what was the best pitching at the time in the NL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks