What's new

2010 Baseball Discussion (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Teams are breaking camp today so it's time to retire the Hot Stove thread.

It's another year and it will probably be another year of disappointment for my Cubs. I think they will finish 2nd or 3rd in the Central.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just heard an NPR article on the Dodgers ownership problems. It seems the married owners are getting a divorce and it's messy. According to the article they both have sucked a lot of money out of the franchise to support their lavish lifestyle. The wife requires $500K a month just to pay her mortgages.

Team management wanted to sign a front line player, but couldn't because of money issues related to the divorce. According to the article, Baseball is hoping they have to sell the team.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All settled in, nice and cozy, to watch tonight's season opener--Yankees @ Boston on ESPN2.

As soon as the clock struck 8pm...BLACKNESS. And a message from Dish Network that the game was being blacked out in my area.

For some reason, the game was also being carried on the Yankees' YES network and is only being blacked out on ESPN2 in New York state.

I knew I didn't have the YES network when I switched from cable to Dish in January, 2008....but I asked the Dish customer rep what it would take for me to add the YES network to my current plan. She tells me they don't carry YES at all. So, as a Dish Network customer I can't see this game at all.

What a disappointment.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Just goes to show that blackouts are not based on sellouts. Also, I thought Sunday night games on ESPN are not subject to blackouts.

I guess it's now a tradition to open the season on Sunday, with the previous champions as one of the teams, kind of like what the NFL does.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C

Just goes to show that blackouts are not based on sellouts. Also, I thought Sunday night games on ESPN are not subject to blackouts.

I guess it's now a tradition to open the season on Sunday, with the previous champions as one of the teams, kind of like what the NFL does.
It almost seems like things are different this year. I wonder if something's changed.

I'm looking at the Yankee's schedule on mlb.com and there are an awful lot of nationally televised games which are also being telecast on YES. I don't remember that being the case in the past.

For that matter, Wednesday's Sox/Yankees game is being broadcast on both ESPN2 and YES (just like last night). So, I won't get to see that one either. Tomorrow's contest is on both MLBN and YES. Saturday's Yanks/Rays game is a FOX exclusive...but Sunday's Yanks/Rays game is on TBS and YES--leading to another blackout situation.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I believe there are five games on ESPN today. I hope that's enough for the hardcore fans such as Mike and myself. ;)

It was good to see the Red Sox rally from deficits of 1-5 (esp. against Sabathia) and 5-7. I hope they have a lot more rallies this year than last.

Mike,

Beckett, Lester, Lackey, and Wakefield are slated to pitch this week. Do you happen to know if both Buchholz and Matsuzaka are still in the current rotation?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Buchholz is....but I don't think they need the fifth starter for the first couple of weeks. They want to keep Beckett on his regular six-day rotation (he doesn't do as well with an extra day's rest).

Diasuke is the odd man out at the moment.

What a tough situation to have six quality starters.

Oh...and you heard they announced that the Sox have extended Beckett's contract? Four years, $68-M.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Oh...and you heard they announced that the Sox have extended Beckett's contract? Four years, $68-M.

Mike,

Yes, I read that about Beckett today. Let's hope he becomes a bit more sharp as the season rolls on. :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

I believe there are five games on ESPN today. I hope that's enough for the hardcore fans such as Mike and myself. ;)
Which reminds me, a free preview of MLB Extra Innings for the 1st week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I'm really hoping Jason Heyward is the second coming of Ryan Howard.
The jury is still out, but Heyward line-drived a 3-run homer in his first major league at-bat. Yowza!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Sumnernor

Where is that found?
Depends on your cable or satellite provider. I have DirecTV, but I don't remember the channel numbers off the top of my head. I just read about it somewhere.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Speaking of which, I forgot to make my predictions...

NL
East - Phillies
Central - Cardinals
West - Giants
Wild Card - Braves

AL
East - Yankees
Central - Tigers
West - Mariners
Wild Card - Red Sox

Possible surprise teams - Reds, Rangers

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
It looks like the St. Louis Pujolses (one Pujols is enough but it seemed as if he was at bat everytime) are off to a great start. GO REDS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks