What's new

2010 Baseball Discussion (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, I am officially beginning the first Darnell McDonald fan club. Mike Frezon is the Vice-President, except that since he mentioned McDonald first in a previous post, he could veto that move and make himself the President (and me the Vice-President), and I wouldn’t complain. McDonald just hit his second home run in his second major league game.

Anyway, J. D. Drew’s grand slam got the BoSox (and Beckett) out of another (this time 4-0) hole. I hope Beckett settles down and pitches like I know he can.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Going to the Nats game this afternoon. Nice thing about rooting for a second rate team is there are always plenty of good seats available and lots of low price ticket promotions.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Late to the game here (baseball doesn't start for me until someone hoists the Cup), but I couldn't let McCarvers silly Jeter-crush be misquoted. He actually said "Derek Jeter's has the calmest eyes of any man I've ever seen.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Red Sox jumped out to a 5-0 lead over the Blue Jays, but then Josh Beckett gave up six runs in the bottom of the third inning. He hasn't pitched well at all this year. I don't think he has it any more. And with Wakefield now relegated to the bullpen, it might be a good time to consider picking up a quality starter.

I think Boston will bounce back and win this game (it seems their bats have awoken somewhat), but their pitching, with very few exceptions, has been nothing short of atrocious thus far this year. I wouldn't mind seeing them deal Ramirez and Delcarmen if possible, but I don't think their market value would be all that high.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

And the Red Sox have tied up the game, and are threatening for more. This has the feeling of that Boston - Texas game of a year (or was it two?) ago. Wasn't that something like 18-17 or 17-16? The bats are alive and well, which may be a good sign. :)

And the Red Sox have now gone ahead 8-6. This is one of those games that I wish I were attending.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ESPN's game tonight (NY vs. LA) was rained out. They keep showing live snippets of different games--including the Sox/Jays. Kind of aggravating to get pulled into a game to be switched off to another game a half-inning later.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I am and that is shocking news.
It isn't that I didn't expect it to happen, just not now, kinda came out of no where.
Meant to get on here earlier to post it but was busy.

Doesn't guarantee a Phil for life but pretty close to it.
Might explain his little slump since the first few games, power slump that is, his hitting has been decent so far

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it's great for him, the team and the fans. I wish more players and teams were open to in-season negotiations. It's pretty rare these days.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

I still wonder what's up with Beckett. I don't think it's velocity. I think it has more to do with control / placement. Any thoughts?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From what I can see...and I'm only working off highlights (mostly "lowlights")...he's still got velocity but a lack of any movement and he's leaving 'em out and over the plate.

The thing I'm worrying about is if his back is acting up this early in the season. IIRC, his spring training wasn't all that bad.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Getting ready to watch the Phillies on ESPN. It's nice as an out of town fan to root for a team that was in the world series and gets a lot of national games.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
It took ESPN a tad longer than me to voice it, but this article is centering on some of the concerns I expressed several days ago. The Red Sox do have a lot of problems right now. I hope Epstein stands by his words cited here:

"Things haven't really changed. We talked about this last week. We're still playing bad baseball. Unintelligent, undisciplined, uninspired baseball. It's got to change. It either changes itself or we have to do something to change it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/columns/story?columnist=edes_gordon&id=5157384

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

I know, it's almost as if it's contagious at times. Almost everyone was hitting the ball tonight. The ninth inning (with Scott S.) was a bit tentative. I've seen him pitch much better than this. I wonder what happened with such a lead?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If we could take some of those "bonus" runs and dole them out over a bunch of those one-run losses in recent weeks...

Sometimes it seems hard for a pitcher to stay focused with that kind of mop-up duty...whether your team is winning or losing by such a large margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks