What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2007 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Correct. If they were so worried about the division, Okijima would be further burning himself out, Coco would be in the outfield and Manny would be playing hurt. If Coco and Oki can rest a few with their minor or non-existent injuries, I got no problem with Manny.

As an aside, in the last year and a half I have sworn off sports radio, especially that cesspool WEEI. I also do not read the Globe. I've found my outlook on Boston sports is not as hardcore as it used to be, but also not as stressfull, depressing or even as all consuming. I honestly haven't missed it. Thank God for satellite radio. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason: I can't disagree with a single thing you said. I guess I was just speculating. And probably out of panic. ;)

I do disagree that winning the division is a little more than just bragging rights, however. It will determine who our DS opponent is, homefield in the CS (potentially), etc.

Jeff: I'm not really affected by any of those things. I read an occasional Boston Globe and do peruse boston.com. But my only real exposure to the nation (since I live in upstate NY) is the radio broadcasts themselves (and they are more controlled by the team than anything else...although a lot less so than the Yankee broadcasts!).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I only listen to WEEI for about thirty seconds at 6:30am. Nothing else motivates me to get up and cross the room to turn off the alarm quite so well.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I used to be a hardcore listener. Getting Sirius radio made me realize that the only thing Rick Pitino got right was calling those idiots "The Fellowship of the Miserable". I shudder to think I used to be one of them. I think the final straw was the last time Manny sprung a hammy and the EEIdiots were all screaming bloody murder about something that happened every year for 5 years straight!! It dawned on me that 99% of the content was staged outrage meant for mental midgets addicted to their own relevance at being irrelevant. I finally said "who gives a shit?" and never looked back.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow! You guys make it sound pretty bad around Beantown sports media.

And I never used to be able to get enough Red Sox information...until the internet came along. These mlb.com radiocasts have been a godsend.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Well, we're down to the last 10 games and we have four really good divisional races. However, all the excitement is in the NL, since it's clear both NYY and Boston will make the playoffs.

In the NL, I think the Phillies will overtake the Mets, but the Cubs will hold off the Brewers.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

This is one year in which the wild card diminished the excitement of a pennant race, at least in the AL.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Barry Bonds was told it's his last year in SF. The problem is: Who is going to pay the man to go elsewhere? He was a free agent last year for a good while and nobody wanted him. I think he's done.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
If the cost isn't too high, he seems like a worthwhile investment/gamble to me. Obviously a new team cannot expect him to play 140+ games, but even with his injuries, he still posts a 1.000 OPS. His on base percentage is .483. Of all the current players, only Frank Thomas had a higher OBP in 1994 than that. Repeat: of every single season played by every single active player, only 1 season exceeds Bonds' 2007 OBP. That's outrageous.

Even assuming that pitchers pitch more to him next year, perhaps because there's no home run chase pressure, or because they think his skills ar diminished, it's basically impossible to see him post a sub .400 OBP. That would make him one of the 20 best on base machines on a per at bat basis. Imagine him batting in front of Vladimir Guerroro or for any AL powerhouse.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Bonds' employment status next all depends on him. If he is willing to work for a lot less money then he should be able to get work. If he wants big money then he might find there are no takers.

I guess it all depends on how much he wants that 3000 hits. If it means a lot to him he'll take less.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bet no one noticed that Josh Beckett is a 20-game winner. I felt it was my duty to point that out.

:D

Tied for 18 in the majors is Wang, Peavy, Carmona & Sabathia. Escobar, Lackey & Verlander have 17.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

Not counting Bonds himself, of course, who has four seasons higher than the current one. (With an absolutely sick .609 in 2004.)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The Cubs are inching closer to the NL Central title, but I can't understand why Piniella doesn't make Marmol the closer and Dempster the 7th inning guy.

Marmol = unhittable

Dempster = decent save percentage but usually a high-wire act. Has given up at least one run in 8 of his last 13 games.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Phillies lose a game, all because of the stupid pitch count. What ever happen to letting starters pitch until they start running into trouble?

The Phillies bullpen needed some rest after being overused for so many games in a row, and Cole Hamels was pitching a great game.

At least, the Padres lost again.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
He may be an improvement. I turned the game on in the 9th inning last night and after Carlos Lee hit the HR to give them a 2-run lead, I had a feeling Lidge would blow it.

They need to try SOMEONE else at closer next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks