What's new

2007 at the Box Office (2 Viewers)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
all the TV commercials I've seen for Sweeney todd have had quite a lot of singing in them, i'm sure people will know it's a musical, because more people find out about movies from tv spots than trailers.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
what about independence day (id4)? i remember seeing that opening day in '97 then reading that it took 5-7 days or somn to reach 100mil, a record @that time.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
terry's talking about consecutive 100+ films, the record is 7, Smith just matched that, but between his big screen blockbuster debut in 96 with Indepence Day and 2002's MIB2 he had some films that didn't make it to 100 million

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Jackson isn't directing the two 'Hobbit' features. He's already committed to doing the "Tintin" trilogy with Spielberg, on top of currently shooting "The Lovely Bones". Jackson and partner Fran Walsh will produce and "oversee" the script. Jackson also will have a hand in choosing the director.

Concerning Will Smith, here's a list of his last 14 movies starting with his first hit, "Bad Boys"...

1995 "Bad Boys" $65.8 million
1996 "Independence Day" $306.2 million
1997 "Men in Black" $250.7 million
1998 "Enemy of the State" $111.5 million
1999 "Wild Wild West" $113.8 million
(four consecutive $100 million-plus hits)
2000 "The Legend of Bagger Vance" $30.9 million
2001 "Ali" $58.2 million
2002 "Men in Black II" $190.4 million
2003 "Bad Boys II" $138.6 million
2004 "I, Robot" $144.8 million
2004 "Shark Tale" $160.9 million
2005 "Hitch" $179.5 million
2006 "The Pursuit of Happyness" $163.6 million
2007 "I Am Legend" $150 million-plus (predicted)
(currently enjoying a streak of seven consecutive $100 million-plus domestic earners)

Upcoming projects...
2008 "Hancock"
2008 "Seven Pounds"
2009 "Time Share" (comedy with fellow A-lister Nicolas Cage)

"Hancock" will be Smith's fifth movie to open during the Independence Day holiday frame, joining ID4, MIB, "Wild, Wild West", and MIB2.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Wild Wild West" also has the distinction of being the movie that Smith chose to do over "The Matrix" (he was offered the role of Neo). Regardless, Smith has one of the best track records in Tinseltown.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: Golden Compass.

do u think new line was already in talks with Peter Jackson for The Hobbit BEFORE GC debuted or AFTER?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The two sides were definitely "in talks", largely due to the fact that the studio only saw two of their ten big screen releases this year (prior to crash and burn of "The Golden Compass") turn into big hits. The studio endured some very high profile misses at the box office, such as "The Number 23", "Rendition", "Shoot 'Em Up", and "Mr. Woodcock".

While "Hairspray" was a big hit (earning nearly $120 million), "Rush Hour 3" performed a bit under the studio's expectations. At a cost of more than $160 million, counting marketing (about $45 million of which went to Chris Tucker, Jackie Chan, and Brett Ratner in salaries), the film earned $140 million domestically and an additional $115 million overseas. The studio was banking on a domestic gross of at least $150 million.

With so much money being spent on failed projects, the studio began to soften its stance toward the Jackson camp. "The Golden Compass" basically forced New Line's hand as they immediately looked to settle the lawsuit Jackson had against them and essentially gave him everything he wanted to return for the two 'Hobbit' adventures.

While the two films will be a joint production between New Line and MGM, make no mistake, Jackson will yield George Lucas-like control over the two projects. Though he (probably) won't be directing, he will have final cut over the movies, as well as being the "star" who will benefit the most financially from the success of the projects.

New Line is now desperate for a major blockbuster and are basically paying for their shady behavior following the monster success of the LOTR trilogy (pulling in nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office).

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I don't think Wild Wild West is considered a hit. Wasn't it a failure? It made over 100 million but I think its budget was much more than that as well.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Wild Wild West" cost $170 million (not counting marketing) and made $222.1 million worldwide. It was a surprisingly potent title on DVD and WB was able to eventually make their money back as a result. Yes, the movie is considered a major disappointment, which is why the studio scrapped plans for any sequels.

Smith seems to really regret his decision to do this film over "The Matrix" and who can blame him? "The Matrix" went on to become a cultural phenomenon, while WWW was quickly forgotten. I still consider it a minor miracle the movie was even able to top the century mark.

Still, Smith came away unscathed and is enjoying his current status as the industry's most bankable star.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
you know. i literally forgot about that film until you guys mentioned it =P.

ya'll predicting any huge success from here til the end of the year? i think I am legend will continnue to be #1 this weekend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you look at just about every major movie star in history just about everyone of them has screwed up turning down some roles for other roles that didn't serve them well. Furthermore, as you stated, Smith has done just fine since that misstep.:)

Crawdaddy

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I think the 'National Treasure' sequel is going to be a big hit and will be #1 this weekend. Many are predicting an opening tally well north of $30 million this weekend.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
there's five new major films opening here on Friday, Charlie Wilson's War, PS I Love You, Sweeney Todd, Walk Hard and National Treasure 2

I kinda want to see them all, though I never saw the first National Treasure the second one looks like " I-know-I'm-ridiculous" fun time.

Adam

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I think National Treasure 2 will do especially well because, assuming it follows the tone of the first movie, it's a rare example of an action franchise that's truly safe for the whole family. Not many fatalities in that first movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks