What's new

2004 ML Baseball Playoff Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It appears that Roger Clemens is taking care of business in game 1 against the Braves. He gave up a homerun to Andruw Jones but that's it.

I'm saying watch out for this team. They have the same pedigree as the Marlins did last year in that they fired their manager at mid season and are HOT right now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Braves squandered too many early inning runners, and got behind and never was in the game. Clemens threw almost 100 pitches in 5 innings as he walked a lot of men, but got into a groove to shelter the Astros bullpen from much exposure in the middle innings.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I was very disappointed in how they played today, they could've gotten to him in those early innings like you mentioned, he walked 6 guys for crying out loud. Atlanta needs to win tomorrow, and unfortunately that will not be easy.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
I figured the Astros would be tough going into the playoffs, especially with the one-two punch of Clemens and Oswalt. They're even more dangerous in a short series. The Braves are in trouble, but I think they have enough talent to come back and win this series. Let's see what happens.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
That damn ground rule double really hurt the Twins.
It should now be over 6-5 Twins.
More to come in extra innings...

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Ron Gardenhire told Jones to rest that arm for next year.

This guy deserves the position he is in now, he choked away home field advantage last week in NYC and has now choked away a possible 2-0 lead. Nathan couldn't throw a strike and the only guy up in the pen was an ineffective lefty.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely, and now we get to the fun part. How will the Twins respond in game 3? Can they avoid what happened to them last year? Just a couple of the questions, that will have to be answered on Friday.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent game with the Yanks, and a good one right now with the Sox -vs- Angels.

But to rant a bit right here, all 3 games on ESPN HD but its not even in HD. Going to ESPN HD section on their web-site - NO BASEBALL on their schedule for HD Baseball in this playoffs. Can anybody explain? Pretty poor IMO

Ray

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Just got back from the game.. Went to the Bronx tonight.... Best live game I have ever seen!!!! The crowd was electric!!! AROD earned his paycheck tonight boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I thought that last one was gone, but we'll take it!!

Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!:D

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of curses...

The Angels were victimized by the Curse of Michael Myers. :D

Up 2-0 and heading home, nice job by Pedro and Schilling.

LewB

Screenwriter

Sure, I go and they set an ALDS record for double plays !
I've seen 4 games this year and my record is 1-3. Pretty amazing considering the yanks home winning percentage is like .667 :angry: :angry:

Hey Yanks fans, I have an idea. Send me $ and I won't go to any more games. Victory will be assured and I can upgrade my HT. :D :D

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
That homer by Jeter was something.

Of course Joe Morgan had to denigrate it, saying that it wasn't so great since it was "only " the 20th time someone hit it into the black seats.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Nice job by Pedro. Hitting 96 MPH from the bell does not bode well for the opposition, considering his average fastball was around 88 for his last 4 games. Gutsy performance and at least Francona now knows he's the best 7 (not 8) inning pitcher in baseball. I do feel Colon got squeezed and the plate umpire was very inconsistent, but it does not matter when your vaunted bullpen gives up 4 runs in the 9th. Seems like this Sox team knows how to step on a throat when it sees one.

As for the Yanks, I've always given Jeter credit for being one of the best baserunners in baseball. Last night he proved it again. The guy knows how to win. Who cares, let them beat each other up and the if the Sox get through, they'll take on the one who survives.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Everyone here keeps thinking "big mo for the Yanks" I don't know. I think the Twins leave feeling pretty good as well. They know they stole one on someone else's court and they should have had a punchout in this game. Going back, they feel like while they taxed their pen, their pen is in better shape to handle that then the Yanks, and they've got better pitching down the stretch.

I think if you're the twins, and were told at the offset you'd get a split in Yankee stadium, you'd say "that's all we need" :)

BTW, as to the ESPNHD not having HD showings of any of these games.. yeah, what a downer. I know they've broadcast in HD from all of these places during the season, I don't know what the deal is ;(

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

They probably said that last year too. Unless they get Tom Kelly to go in the dugout and have enough rain in NY for Santana to pitch twice more I don't see how they win this. Their manager taxed their own pen all last weekend and was outmanaged from inning 8 on last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks