What's new

2004 Acura TSX (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
My wife just got one and it's a great car. Anyone else seen them or buy one yet? It appears that Acura is going after the Audi A4 and BMW 328 people with this car and it may win alot of them over.

Jeff

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Seems like a great car and keeping it on my radar for when I start really car shopping. Car & Driver and USA Today have had positive reviews. However USA Today pointed out the car makes 200 hp and 144 ft/lb of torque; that means you've got really wind the engine up to get going. It would be nice if they could find a way to drop a small 6 cylinder into the engine bay

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Yeah, we all love FWD cars with anemic 4 cylinders.

They're not going to get anyone looking at the A4 and 328 they couldn't get with the CL and TL. Honda needs to stop making FWD cars that are underpowered. Time to pay the piper go RWD and stick a V-6 in the car. Something like the Infiniti G35.

Seth

Isaac K

Stunt Coordinator
I have not seen any TSX's around yet. I'm personally more interested in the new TL based on the concept photos floating around the 'net.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Reading up on it, I like it. I'm thinking of taking one for a test drive this weekend, and trading in my '95 Accord EX. I think the price is about $1000-$2000 too high, but that's likely because it's new, and it's built in Japan.

As far as underpowered, how many other naturally aspirated 200hp fours are there out there? My "underpowered" 260hp TL-S has a 6mpg (count 'em) advantage over my friend's G35 sedan. Honda's corporate commitment to fuel economy and emissions will keep them from ever building giant-engined cars. Their commitment to FWD as the "everyman" platform won't likely change either. You may see AWD with FWD bias (a la MDX) or FWD with IMA on the rear, but that's about it. I, for one, appreciate their commitment to their philosophy. It doesn't seem to be hurting their sales.

I'm glad to hear you like the TSX. I look forward to the drive.

Todd

EDIT: 200hp and 166 ft.lbs from that 2.4l four.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
My "underpowered" 260hp TL-S has a 6mpg (count 'em) advantage over my friend's G35 sedan. Honda's corporate commitment to fuel economy and emissions will keep them from ever building giant-engined cars. Their commitment to FWD as the "everyman" platform won't likely change either.
Hmm interesting. Here are the EPA's figures.

TL-S 19/29 mpg (only sold with slushbox)
G35 coupe 19/26 mpg (slushbox)
G35 coupe 20/27 mpg (stick)

Clearly you and your friend have different driving styles.

Either way Honda will start making RWD cars or get left behind. RWD is coming back into style. People aren't going to be buyin FWD Hondas when the vast majority of it's competitors are RWD.

Seth

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
FWD is fine with me. Honda will probably continue with FWD as long as Toyota continues with FWD.
The new TL kinda looks like a larger TSX from the pics I've seen. It should be very nice for the money.

Jeff

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I saw these, looked nice but for around the same price as a Maxima. I'd rather have the Maxima.

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
Cars are like movies, some people love certain ones and others may hate it.
My opinion of the Acura . . yuk :thumbsdown:
I echo the "Not in the same ballpark as BMW or Audi" statement.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Yeah, we all love FWD cars with anemic 4 cylinders.

They're not going to get anyone looking at the A4 and 328 they couldn't get with the CL and TL. Honda needs to stop making FWD cars that are underpowered. Time to pay the piper go RWD and stick a V-6 in the car. Something like the Infiniti G35.
Before you call it anemic, try driving one. I have and it didn't feel at all like a 4 cylinder, and most certainly was no where in the neighborhood of anemic.

As far as the CL/TL, keep in mind that the TSX is a 2004 model. There will be no CL in 2004 and the TL is expected to increase in price quite a bit with the newly redesigned 2004 model.

I agreed with most of you when I first read about the TSX online. However, on a recent visit to the dealership for a service appointment, I sat in the car and was very impressed. I came back the next day for a test drive of the 6-speed manual and my impression remained. The TSX is an excellent car.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I agreed with most of you when I first read about the TSX online. However, on a recent visit to the dealership for a service appointment, I sat in the car and was very impressed. I came back the next day for a test drive of the 6-speed manual and my impression remained. The TSX is an excellent car.
I'm not saying it's not an excellent car. I'm sure it's an excellent Honda Accord in the rest of the world. I'm not very sure however, that it's a A4/328 beater, or even a competitor. For the money I'd rather have an '04 Maxima SE with a 6MT and a V6 that has been on Wards best engine list for 9 years.

Seth

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Would you respect the opinion of a movie critic who blasted a movie without seeing it?

It's about as much credence I'd give to a person who blasts a car without even test-driving it. That's just my opinion, anyways.

Hope your wife is loving the car.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Having test-driven a five-speed automatic TSX, I can say the car is a surprisingly fun car to drive.

Honda did a wonderful job with the five-speed automatic, with the result the car has lots of punch in regards to accelerating power regardless of speed. The car's handling is quite good, and the ride quality is slightly firm but very well-controlled. :emoji_thumbsup: I think Honda has done a masterful job with the i-VTEC variable cam timing sytem, which means the engine doesn't have as much peaky power as some people think.

There is serious talk of a TSX Type-R model with a 240 bhp version of the current TSX engine and a close-ratio six-speed manual transmission.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Ray,

You should drive the 6-speed manual if you get a chance. That was the most amazing transmission I have ever had the pleasure of using... extremely smooth!

I also agree with Masood... I can understand people saying they aren't interested in a car that they have only read about... but actively bad-mouthing it without having even sat in it, let alone drive it... ?

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Jason,

While I'm sure the six-speed manual on the TSX sports an excellent feel (Honda makes excellent shifters), the majority of TSX's sold in the USA will have the five-speed automatic, which is a modified version of the five-speed automatic from the 2003 Accord.

Unlike the unit on the Accord, the TSX automatic allows you to manualy shift gears up and down, and that works surprisingly well, too. But just leave the automatic in Drive mode and the adaptive drivetrain electronics means the TSX doesn't have flat spots of power even going uphill.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The styling is really growing on me and those Vtec engines ain't bad at all, 200hp out of 2.4L is pretty amazing. Still, I'd like to see how it pulls this 3,300lb. car.

The price is hurting it & I'd have to agree with Steve; with this costing the same as a Maxima, I'd go for the Maxima.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks