What's new

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix - Radio question (1 Viewer)

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with the stock AC delco Cd player radio head unit.

I just recently got an iPod and have tried the available FM modulators for use in my car. While the sound isn't terrible, I'd like to use a cassete adaptor or line out directly to the head unit, as I've been told that it will sound much better.

The problem is that the radio head unit doesn't have a cassette player. Is there anybody out there who knows if it's possible to set up a direct line out to my stock head unit through open connectors or jacks in the rear of the unit? I'd hate to deconstruct my dash just to find out it isn't possible...

Other solutions would be welcomed, too.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Perhaps getting an aftermarket radio with Auxilary input on the front (or with Aux RCA cables coming out of the back)is an option?

Here's one HERE

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,
I've got a '00 GTP with the A/C delco head unit that goes with the Bose POS system.

As far as I know, there aren't any jacks, etc for expansion on the back of the delco stereos. I could be wrong - I'm not really a car audio guy.

If I yank my head unit I lose the heads-up display integration (radio/CD track in the heads-up). Haven't been willing to lose it yet.

Replacing the head unit with a cheap aftermarket job with aux inputs is probably the best solution, honestly.

The guys over in the car audio/video forum area might know better.

Good luck.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Alpine has an IPOD solution for you. It will cost more than ALf's suggestion but then again it will last longer. Alpines have been nothing but stellar for me and my friends and are considered one of if not the best headunit you can buy.
http://www.alpine1.com

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I think I'll look into a cheap head unit. Seems like the best solution at this point.

ChipFiev

Grip
If your stock deck has CD changer controls, PIE might make a CD changer controller and RCA input adapter for your stock radio. That's what I did to get a line in for my '04 Mazda 3.

I put the PIE CD changer controller into the CD changer input in the back of my stereo. Then, I attached the PIE to RCA adapter to the PIE box. Finally, I put a RCA to 1/8 headphone jack on the RCA inputs. This gave me a perfect AUX in for my XM Roady. They also make iPod specific adapters that allow your CD changer controls on the stock radio to control tracks on the iPod. I think those go by the name of IceLink and would attach to the PIE box in lieu of the RCA adapter.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks