What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2001: A Space Odyssey is a 4K/UHD Release possible? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Well I'm an idiot. I got sidetracked for a few weeks and forgot to order tickets for one of the several 70mm screenings at the Hollywood Theatre here in Portland, Oregon coming up.... and every single show has sold out. I'm seriously crushed.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I never said I did.

"Having a "take it or leave it" attitude strikes me as rather dismissive of people's concerns about poorly handling one of the great achievements in cinema history." How do you think that reads? I know how I think that reads. You may not mean it that way, but when you write "people's concerns about poorly handling one of the great..." you are basically saying that people have concerns about it and why SHOULD they? Gaslighting much? :)

Synnove

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Synnove
Well I'm an idiot. I got sidetracked for a few weeks and forgot to order tickets for one of the several 70mm screenings at the Hollywood Theatre here in Portland, Oregon coming up.... and every single show has sold out. I'm seriously crushed.

Amazing; I was looking at those showtimes just earlier today and three or four shows weren't yet sold out. If there's one thing about Nolan's involvement I'm joyful about, it's seeing 2001 make 250K on just 4 screens in five days, and seeing eight showings at my local theatre sell out weeks in advance.

I *might* have an extra ticket for the Satuday 2-ish showing if you're able to make that. The ticket is promised to someone else but, if they decide to not attend, it's yours.

Last edited:

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
You do not know that is being poorly handled - that is what many of us are saying to you. That is supposition because a few people saw some trailer that has no basis in reality as to what this new transfer will look like. Wanting it to be done right is a given. People fretting about it endlessly gets obnoxious after awhile because it has no basis in reality at this time. Mr. Harris obviously has information that he cannot share and I trust him enough to know that there is probably very little reason to be concerned about anything involving this film. While Warners track record isn't perfect, it is pretty damn good. I mean, I really cannot believe some of the things I'm reading here.

And to Carlos: You think the ones who are of the position I am are "whining?" Really? Feels like the whining is coming from the other direction, frankly. Have you seen the Midnight Cowboy transfer? No. So, you can't really talk about it with any kind of knowledge other than you saw some screen caps that you are taking as gospel, and I think we've seen enough instances of that turning out the opposite way that by now you'd know it's not a good way to judge things with blanket statements. I know exactly who frequents this board, studio and label-wise. I'm also smart enough not to wind myself up in knots until I actually see something, because everything up to that point is - SUPPOSITION and kind of pointless. It is foolish to think that Warners is going to treat this legendary film with anything but complete respect for what it is. You have problems with Blade Runner go talk to its director - that is who your issue is with. Problems with the first pressing of The French Connection? Go talk to its director. The Longest Day needs a new transfer and I'm pretty sure Fox is aware of that - it was a very early Blu-ray release and long before these kinds of redos were happening.

First I never said you are whining, however, after the fact is way too late thus ,chatting here about how much I hate what was done from me you won't see ; that I call whining. That's when I move on since little or no chance that I'll see another iteration of this film.
I'm not a hater of Nolan or anyone else just a lover of film like films especially to have the opportunity to look at films that are well cared for. My ultimate example is Lawrence and the one I hold up as the shinning example of how things can be.

Since you have access to the directors of each of the above films and I don't I would certainly appreciate your going to them for me to lodge a complaint since I can't "go to the director" myself.

I've not made any blanket statements ,by the way, only pulling examples from the past that show that sitting back and saying hey they know what they are doing and they will certainly do it right hasn't turned out so well.

Not sure why my concern has brought you to the point of telling me how smart you are and therefore you aren't going to lower yourself to my kind of behavior.

Just ignore me if I'm so foolish.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Alright, let's stop this personal back and forth comments now! If anybody doesn't like what somebody is posting then place that person on "Ignore" by simply clicking on their forum name which will offer you an option to do so. I don't want to ban any more posters from this thread, but I will do so to stop the personal bickering and snarky remarks. Just stop it or the Moderator Staff will stop it.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Nolan is the same actually, not sure why everyone is blinded but his films are as teal and orange and baseless as any Michael Bay one.

I guess I should state first I am neither a Nolan fan nor a Michael Bay fan but I can certainly see a clear difference in their work. I don't know what it means when you say Nolan's films are "baseless" so, I don't know how to comment on that. I do agree with you that both Nolan and Bay are "blockbuster" filmmakers and their films are expected to do, and usually do, big business. So, to some extent they are working with a similar set of circumstances but Nolan much of the time seems to be able to make films that are more interesting than stuff Bay churns out. Everything is a matter of personal taste though.

I also think it is pretty clear if you want orange and teal Bay is your guy. Of the Nolan films I have seen I don't think he loves those colors as much as he loves black.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I should look at my Criterion laserdisc box set after i see the 4K release when it comes out. It's been awhile since i have seen the laserdisc and remember seeing some nice extras on it.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
we have to keep life in perspective. just as this rare wonderful opportunity/experience is nearing completion i may not be able to make it out in person as i fallen seriously ill. it's a long road back to a good state of health and am so looking forward to what shall be released. i have faith in the Warner and also the guidance of the deep information wealth that mr harris has repeatedly brought to us. my only "disappointment" might be that the legendary mr trumbull is unlikely to have his documentary made.
i will continue to follow this forum which is the best out here in my humble opinion with so many fine people involved with respectful honest thoughts.

reagards,

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
we have to keep life in perspective. just as this rare wonderful opportunity/experience is nearing completion i may not be able to make it out in person as i fallen seriously ill. it's a long road back to a good state of health and am so looking forward to what shall be released. i have faith in the Warner and also the guidance of the deep information wealth that mr harris has repeatedly brought to us. my only "disappointment" might be that the legendary mr trumbull is unlikely to have his documentary made.
i will continue to follow this forum which is the best out here in my humble opinion with so many fine people involved with respectful honest thoughts.

reagards,
Best wishes for your speedy and full recovery.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

reagards,

May your recovery be full, quick and as painless as possible - and may there be a comforting stack of discs to keep you company while you're on the mend.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

reagards,
Best of luck!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

reagards,

Amen: both for the sentiment expressed and in prayer for Shakeel.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Don't give up so quickly. Treat it like a Broadway show that's sold out. Get there real early. Be the beginning of your own line.
Every event always has a no-show. And your odds increase if you go solo.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

reagards,
If this doesn't say it all, then I don't know what does.
We're all pulling for you, Shakeel.

Last edited:

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos

reagards,

Yes, you are so so right. Unfortunately , minutia and first world problems clog reality and folks like you bring us back as it should be. I wish you all the best a speedy recovery.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

reagards,
My best wishes to you towards your recovery, Shakeel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks