What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's disappointing. I must have read the IMAX page half a dozen times. Maybe it's not too late for cancelling the ticket to see it at Empire instead.

It shouldn't be. AMC allows cancellations up until showtime. If you used Fandango to purchase the ticket, there's a "can't make the show?" button to click in your order history. If you used AMC's app or website, there's a "Cancel reservation" button in the "my tickets" section.

My intention is to see it in both locations. I would like to see it at Lincoln Square for the sheer size of the thing, and I'd like to see it at Empire for the new restoration. It's not advertised online anywhere, but the screen at the Empire has an aspect ratio of 2.08:1, very close to the film's 2.20:1 aspect ratio, so there will only be the tiniest of black bars visible on that screen, compared to the huge black bars that will be visible on Lincoln's 1.44:1 screen. I have high hopes for the Empire presentation.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
What did you think it was?

I assumed advertising IMAX 70mm meant IMAX 70mm, rather than standard 70mm. I'm going to keep the ticket, but now I have an incentive to see it again in Atlanta for comparison. It's not like I'll get another chance to see 2001 in a theater twice in one week ever again, anyways.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It is always possible that they printed the "unrestored" version onto IMAX 15/70 film so this might at least be more stable than the standard 70mm prints that were travelling around.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It will be IMAX 70mm. They are taking the Nolan version and printing it onto 70mm film horizontally so that it’ll be projected from a 15/70 print.

The thing is, it’s actually the same amount of real estate on the print, whether it’s a traditional 5/70 print running vertically or a 15/70 print running horizontally.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I assumed advertising IMAX 70mm meant IMAX 70mm, rather than standard 70mm. I'm going to keep the ticket, but now I have an incentive to see it again in Atlanta for comparison. It's not like I'll get another chance to see 2001 in a theater twice in one week ever again, anyways.
As Josh noted, it is IMAX 70MM. So you should be good. Let us know what you think.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
It will be IMAX 70mm. They are taking the Nolan version and printing it onto 70mm film horizontally so that it’ll be projected from a 15/70 print.

The thing is, it’s actually the same amount of real estate on the print, whether it’s a traditional 5/70 print running vertically or a 15/70 print running horizontally.
Wait, so it will be "windowboxed" within the IMAX frame, and not blown-up to fill the full width?

Vincent

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It should be the full width of the screen.

What I’m saying is, the measurements of a 5/70 frame are actually the same size when printed horizontally in a 15/70 frame. I read about that when Dunkirk was in post production. The width of a regular 70mm film frame is the same width as a 15/70 frame - it’s just that the 15/70 frame is significantly taller.

Since the width is the same and since they letterbox movies for that screen rather than crop them, it’s not actually being “blown up” in the way they’d have to with 35mm footage.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It should be the full width of the screen.

What I’m saying is, the measurements of a 5/70 frame are actually the same size when printed horizontally in a 15/70 frame. I read about that when Dunkirk was in post production. The width of a regular 70mm film frame is the same width as a 15/70 frame - it’s just that the 15/70 frame is significantly taller.

Since the width is the same and since they letterbox movies for that screen rather than crop them, it’s not actually being “blown up” in the way they’d have to with 35mm footage.

While the image may be printed 1:1, the IMAX frame is appreciably wider, and can handle a blow-up.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I never said Midnight Cowboy transfer was bad it is wonderful except for the teal treatment. And for perhaps the forth time, I'm not basing it on previous versions I said I based it on any of it's contemporary films. Of course, following me around from thread to thread to see if you can start the same argument is pathetic really.

Yes, everyone here knows you think it's a wonderful transfer except for the "teal treatment." I don't follow you, friend, but I do respond when you say that line and let's face it, you say it every time you can. And now I return you to 2001.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Yes, everyone here knows you think it's a wonderful transfer except for the "teal treatment." I don't follow you, friend, but I do respond when you say that line and let's face it, you say it every time you can. And now I return you to 2001.

Here is the thing...I'm not going to change my position simply because you repeat that you disagree. I've posted evidence that the film from Criterion has a teal hue unlike anything contemporary to it. I've asked you repeatedly to refute it with evidence but instead all you do is keep saying it isn't teal as if your pronouncement should be sufficient for me to start doing flips or something. I know it bothers you that I see this issue or you wouldn't go from thread to thread checking out if I mentioned Midnight Cowboy or not.:rolleyes:

Oh and by the way, I was talking about 2001 when you came in so I really don't think you need to let me know that I need to get back on topic.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I wish I could go on Thursday night but work is requiring me to wait till Saturday to see the 4K DCP of 2001 at the Navy Pier Laser IMAX.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Confirming that the image is enlarged to use the full width of the IMAX frame.

While some of the material may be problematic, in its unrestored form, the lab work should be brilliant.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In any way, shape or form;
is it known if these IMAX and prior Nolan venues are some type of experiment or testing ground for producing the UHD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks