What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In any way, shape or form;
is it known if these IMAX and prior Nolan venues are some type of experiment or testing ground for producing the UHD?

Please see my post 435:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...able-for-preorder.356390/page-22#post-4643328

As best as can be determined by primary source interviews, work was underway at Warner for a new 4K restoration with Kubrick's longtime assistant Leon Vitali consulting on the project. The aim had been to produce both a UHD release and a new theatrical DCP which could be used as part of a 50th anniversary celebration.

Nolan was in the same building at the same time working on remastering his back catalogue for UHD. Knowing of Nolan's fondness for "2001," when the 2001 team was looking at different elements for reference, they invited Nolan to join them for a screening. When he saw the 1999 interpositive, he felt that it looked so good that audiences should have a chance to see a 70mm version based on that specific element. Warner then decided to go ahead with a 70mm reissue in the spring, under the supervision of Nolan, while simultaneously continuing with their 4K restoration.

The UHD was always going to happen, and the theatrical re-release in IMAX was probably always going to happen (it had been rumored for well over a year). The 70mm reissue of the "unrestored" version was the unexpected part of the equation.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sounds like I'd better be planning to get down to the Lincoln Square...

Depends on what you want to see. If you'd like to see "2001" on the largest screen in North America, and don't mind watching the Nolan "unrestored" version, Lincoln Square is the place to go. They have a 100 foot wide screen.

If you'd prefer to see the new 4K restoration, you might be better off visiting either your local IMAX, or the Empire 25 location in Times Square. They have a 58 foot wide screen, which is still pretty large.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Right, thanks for the refresher.

I might just get with the program and do both.

I was momentarily thinking/hoping my “local” 70mm IMAX (in Norwalk) might be getting it, but that doesn’t seem to be in the cards.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve been to that IMAX in Norwalk!

I think it’s possibke they could get it later on. It looks like they only made four 15/70 prints, but one of those four will be going to a fifth city after the first week. So I think it’s posdible that after they finish playing in one place, they could move on to another.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm making the drive from Houston to Austin to see 2001 on Sunday at the Bob Bullock State Museum IMAX, which is the largest screen in the state as well as the only one with laser projection. Saw GotG 2 there last year and it was spectacular.

I would have bought a ticket for Saturday, but the Paramount (restored movie palace in downtown Austin) is showing Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm on Saturday, So I figured as long as I was gonna make the drive anyway....

Greatest movie road trip ever!! :rock:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sweet! I saw Lawrence Of Arabia in 70mm last summer. It was a brand new print created from the recent 4K restoration and it looked stunning. I had only ever seen the movie at home prior to that, and seeing it on a big screen really enhanced my appreciation of it in a way I didn't expect. (I thought I already appreciated it as much as a person could.)

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sweet! I saw Lawrence Of Arabia in 70mm last summer. It was a brand new print created from the recent 4K restoration and it looked stunning. I had only ever seen the movie at home prior to that, and seeing it on a big screen really enhanced my appreciation of it in a way I didn't expect. (I thought I already appreciated it as much as a person could.)

You need to see it on a huge screen, in 4k.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You need to see it on a huge screen, in 4k.

I would gladly do so if the opportunity ever arose.

It played on a 50 foot screen at the United Palace Theater in Washington Heights on Sunday. I had to work, so I was unable to attend, but I hope they did decent business with it, which might encourage them to continue to do similar screenings.

For me, one of the most exciting parts of this "2001" IMAX release, even if some of the venue choices are a little baffling to me, is the chance to see the movie on the largest screens available in the country. I've seen it on good screens before, but never anything as large as the 100 foot wide screen at Lincoln Center. I'm not sure that I've even seen it on something as big as the Empire's 58 foot wide screen. For a movie that's meant to be larger than life, the chance to see it on those screens is something I can't pass up. Even more heartening - it looks like the Lincoln Center location is selling a ton of tickets for their shows.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Oh man, if there’s ANY movie that must be seen on a big screen...

(Well, okay, there are a few of them. But still...)
I know like ...
7ihFu41[1].gif
;)

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks