What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Please post with your thoughts as soon as convenient ,at least something preliminary, thanks in advance.

Reactions: PMF

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Big night tonight!

Big -- meaning Lincoln Square?

Looks like they've got it through next Wednesday. I'm pretty booked this weekend so I'll take advantage of a more leisurely weekday visit. There are still lots more good seats available then as well.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Big -- meaning Lincoln Square?

Looks like they've got it through next Wednesday. I'm pretty booked this weekend so I'll take advantage of a more leisurely weekday visit. There are still lots more good seats available then as well.

Because it’s splitting time with The Dark Knight and my unusual work schedule, tonight is my only shot at seeing it at Lincoln. So I’ll see the “unrestored” IMAX version there and then see the 4K restoration at a different IMAX hopefully very soon. Can’t wait!

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s intermission at Lincoln Square’s 15/70 IMAX film blowup of the “unrestored” version. If you were planning on going, go, and read no further - I’m going to nitpick but you probably wouldn’t notice these things if you didn’t know to look for them.

The good: it’s incredible to see the movie on a 100 foot wide screen. The amount of detail packed into the frame is astonishing. To see it this large is incredible. The quality of the projection is a significant upgrade over the regular 70mm presentation earlier in the year at the Village East. It’s much steadier here and there aren’t any hotspotting issues.

The not-so-great: the Nolan print has flaws. I’ve already complained at great length in previous posts so no need to repeat all of that, except to say every flaw is magnified on a screen of this size. But there’s one new flaw that’s just awful if you notice it (which hopefully most people won’t). When they blew up the film to print on the 15/70 stock, they apparently didn’t use the proper aparture plate on the original 70mm source. You can see every single splice at every single cut in the film at the bottom of the frame line. For. Every. Single. Cut. And all of that’s printed right onto the 15/70 print. I don’t know how it is that no one noticed that. I don’t know how that passed IMAX QC. All they had to do was matte out an insignificant sliver of the bottom of the frame and the problem would be solved.

So....to sum up, I’m glad I’m here, it’s about as expected, and the sheer scale of it on this giant screen is mesmerizing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
breaking16.gif

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
It’s intermission at Lincoln Square’s 15/70 IMAX film blowup of the “unrestored” version. If you were planning on going, go, and read no further - I’m going to nitpick but you probably wouldn’t notice these things if you didn’t know to look for them.

The good: it’s incredible to see the movie on a 100 foot wide screen. The amount of detail packed into the frame is astonishing. To see it this large is incredible. The quality of the projection is a significant upgrade over the regular 70mm presentation earlier in the year at the Village East. It’s much steadier here and there aren’t any hotspotting issues.

The not-so-great: the Nolan print has flaws. I’ve already complained at great length in previous posts so no need to repeat all of that, except to say every flaw is magnified on a screen of this size. But there’s one new flaw that’s just awful if you notice it (which hopefully most people won’t). When they blew up the film to print on the 15/70 stock, they apparently didn’t use the proper aparture plate on the original 70mm source. You can see every single splice at every single cut in the film at the bottom of the frame line. For. Every. Single. Cut. And all of that’s printed right onto the 15/70 print. I don’t know how it is that no one noticed that. I don’t know how that passed IMAX QC. All they had to do was matte out an insignificant sliver of the bottom of the frame and the problem would be solved.

So....to sum up, I’m glad I’m here, it’s about as expected, and the sheer scale of it on this giant screen is mesmerizing.

That's ridiculous.

Vincent

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Those splice lines weren’t present in the second half. Not sure what happened for the first half but fortunately wasn’t an issue post-intermission.

And oh my god, the star gate sequence on a 100 foot screen. Wow. The actual sequence is about 20 minutes but it went by so quickly on the giant screen, it felt like just a couple.

MayorFeedback

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Back from the first digital IMAX screening in Orlando. Incredible. I’ve seen 2001 dozens of times, including the big screen, but nothing like this.

Beautiful restoration. Colors are amazing. Blows the current disc out of the sky. Everyone paranoid about Nolan ruining something somehow can relax. Bonkers loud, too, as it should be. Do not hesitate to see it on any size screen you can this week.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m at the intermission of the digital restoration and I want to echo what everyone else is saying. It looks incredible. It sounds incredible. I am completely and utterly thrilled with what I am seeing and hearing.

Consider it seizing an opportunity that you may literally never have again.

I’m so glad I’m doing this. It’s my all time favorite movie and it’s such an experience. Going from the unrestored version to the restored version like this is like watching a five hour restoration demo unfold in front of my eyes.

I cannot believe IMAX is showing that unrestored version on the largest screen in North America when they have access to this stunning new restoration. Thanks Christopher Nolan!

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I've just come back from a digital IMAX showing. I thought it looked amazing, just the way it should. They even eliminated the visible lines of the front-projection screen in the Dawn of Man sequence. The sound was great, too -- the signal from the lunar monolith had people jumping in their seats! I don't trust my judgement 100%, but it sounded like there was directional dialogue in some of the early scenes. I'm sure someone here will confirm or deny.

Overall, a remarkable experience. I've seen it over a dozen times theatrically over the years, including a 70mm presentation a few months ago, but this is my favorite. I'll probably see it one or two more times before it leaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks