What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
IMAX trailer is in gorgeous new “Teal-O-Vision,” which from original notes is what the filmmaker had in mind, but the color was not invented until 1975.

Fortunately, we can now have a corrected version.

Quite lovely, actually.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm not sure how well it relates to the UHD release, but here is the IMAX trailer.

It's the same trailer as the last two (70mm roadshow and UHD) except with a different tag at the end. You'd think they would have upgraded it to use footage from the 4K master by now.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Like I said ,still praying it doesn't look like that. Navy Pier next weekend .Wife asks "haven't we seen that enough times ?" I say "I'll go by myself then" ...I still have a date.:D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's the same trailer as the last two (70mm roadshow and UHD) except with a different tag at the end. You'd think they would have upgraded it to use footage from the 4K master by now.

I honestly wouldn't expect that. They already paid a post production house to make it; why pay them again to recreate the work, when there's nothing to be gained from it. Redoing the trailer would not substantially increase the potential theatrical grosses for the upcoming week-long IMAX run.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I honestly wouldn't expect that. They already paid a post production house to make it; why pay them again to recreate the work, when there's nothing to be gained from it. Redoing the trailer would not substantially increase the potential theatrical grosses for the upcoming week-long IMAX run.

Incredible waste of film stock, which isn’t even biodegradable

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not just the teal, the "Ultimate Trip" idea is gone. People who have never seen the film will not know how abstract the film is. Maybe I should have said, they made it look like a modern space thriller.

At this point there is probably not much that can be done except to wait, until now it has not been confirmed that the trailer reflects the look of the disc.

If there are grading / color timing issues it will be possible to rectify these for later releases that we all know will inevitably follow but there is still a very slim chance that this will not be necessary.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not just the teal, the "Ultimate Trip" idea is gone. People who have never seen the film will not know how abstract the film is. Maybe I should have said, they made it look like a modern space thriller.

Well is was a lifetime ago, but I don't remember seeing any of those, Ultimate Trip film posters when this was first released in London. I think it was something that the studio latched on to a wee bit later. And anyone expecting anything like a modern space thriller (after seeing the trailer) is going to be so bored & perplexed. I'm looking forward to some really entertaining online reading when this is finally released.

Last edited:

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
At this point there is probably not much that can be done except to wait, until now it has not been confirmed that the trailer reflects the look of the disc.

If there are grading / color timing issues it will be possible to rectify these for later releases that we all know will inevitably follow but there is still a very slim chance that this will not be necessary.

I keep thinking why was the trailer tealed in the first place ? This shows a mind set that is disturbing to me regarding what films should look like and questioning who is at the helm.

I'm not so sure we will see another 2001 after this so I don't have the confidence you do there. This is why I feel that this is so important. Less than a week I'll see the 4K DCP at Navy Pier.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I keep thinking why was the trailer tealed in the first place ? This shows a mind set that is disturbing to me regarding what films should look like and questioning who is at the helm.

I'm not so sure we will see another 2001 after this so I don't have the confidence you do there. This is why I feel that this is so important. Less than a week I'll see the 4K DCP at Navy Pier.

When you view, please keep an eye out for potentially raised black levels.

Skies in space should be represented as Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks