What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Truthfully I dont see why any film no matter how old can’t transition into 4K UHD.

Both were shot on 35mm film and would be native 4K not upscales.

Also imagine classic black and white films in 4K most lovers of classic cinema can tell you that many black and white films look more stunning in HD than something jisy made recently in color.

Add to that a title like Wizard and Gone both have been re-issued to death on all formats so far its only a matter of time before WB transitions them into 4K.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the 4K/UHD format;
but better, more qualified people could technically explain why this may or may not be so.
Hope you're right, though.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Truthfully I dont see why any film no matter how old can’t transition into 4K UHD.

Both were shot on 35mm film and would be native 4K not upscales.

Also imagine classic black and white films in 4K most lovers of classic cinema can tell you that many black and white films look more stunning in HD than something jisy made recently in color.

Add to that a title like Wizard and Gone both have been re-issued to death on all formats so far its only a matter of time before WB transitions them into 4K.

Because many, especially 3-strip, never had 4k resolution to begin with, as designed and printed.

4k releases of many early films are a waste of effort.

Think heavily massaged in order to hold an image together.

We don’t want to see GWTW bg plates and mattes in 4k.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Because many, especially 3-strip, never had 4k resolution to begin with, as designed and printed.

Think heavily massaged in order to hold an image together.

We don’t want to see GWTW bg plates and mattes in 4k.

Ok if they could create a 4K transfer... then how is that different than seeing a film print projected?

Isn't it true that film prints themselves have roughly the resolution at 4K?

At what resolution do you think Wizard or Gone with the Wind hit the screen at?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ok if they could create a 4K transfer... then how is that different than seeing a film print projected?

Isn't it true that film prints themselves have roughly the resolution at 4K?

At what resolution do you think Wizard or Gone with the Wind hit the screen at?

Guessing, but certainly less than 2k. Far less.

4k looks nothing like a 1939 dye transfer print.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Isn't it true that film prints themselves have roughly the resolution at 4K?
A 35mm release print in projection is typically somewhere around 720p, and that's for modern movies just before the transition to digital. The original camera negative has around 3-4K of real image detail, but that's nowhere near to what you would have ever seen in projection.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK, there are 4K DCP's available for both films, though I haven't seen them in person and have only found mention of them on the internet. As for whether or not it's overkill, I tend to side with Mr. Harris. You're talking about three strips of film combined to make the final image, which is simply not going to have the same level of detail as a single strip. Also, film grain structure and resolution improved a great deal after the time when these films were shot, so it's doubtful that we'd see the kind of jump in quality in a 4K transfer as you might think.

EDIT: Over on the Film Tech Forum, there is a post from last year that actually lists two available 4K DCP's from different years, so they exist. Whether they were upscaled from 2K or were scanned at 4K, I don't know.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Since only UHD currently delivers something covering more or less the gamut of 35mm colour film and 10 bit data it's not a waste even if spatial detail is far below 4K and/or no colour is present. Rec 709 is not sufficient for colour and 8 bit is always compromised concerning optimising shadow and highlight detail at the same time. I'll take a 4K version with 10 bit any day over an 8 bit 1080p version of any film based source.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Since only UHD currently delivers something covering more or less the gamut of 35mm colour film and 10 bit data it's not a waste even if spatial detail is far below 4K and/or no colour is present. Rec 709 is not sufficient for colour and 8 bit is always compromised concerning optimising shadow and highlight detail at the same time. I'll take a 4K version with 10 bit any day over an 8 bit 1080p version of any film based source.

With all things being equal I fully agree, we also get full 1080p chroma resolution. With that being said we will only get so many releases each year and I would rather have releases from movies that also have a certain amount of detail, especially when they are readily available like for example Ben-Hur or How the West was Won.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Patrick*R

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Guessing, but certainly less than 2k. Far less.

4k looks nothing like a 1939 dye transfer print.
Would you please expound on this?

A 35mm release print in projection is typically somewhere around 720p, and that's for modern movies just before the transition to digital. The original camera negative has around 3-4K of real image detail, but that's nowhere near to what you would have ever seen in projection.
Are you saying the dupe print or the projection method is limited in detail?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Are you saying the dupe print or the projection method is limited in detail?
Both. There's a fair bit of generation loss going from the negative to IP to IN to release print, then there's also a loss of resolution due to the mechanics of film projection, where the image is never perfectly stable, unlike digital.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Went today to see the new MISSION IMPOSSIBLE movie in IMAX. There was a trailer for 2001 in IMAX with a date of August 24th. The trailer looked OK... it flashed by pretty quickly so hard to judge about color values. I assume this is the new 4K restoration. I cannot find anything on the internet about this... does anyone know anything?

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Went today to see the new MISSION IMPOSSIBLE movie in IMAX. There was a trailer for 2001 in IMAX with a date of August 24th. The trailer looked OK... it flashed by pretty quickly so hard to judge about color values. I assume this is the new 4K restoration. I cannot find anything on the internet about this... does anyone know anything?

I'm looking for this in a local theater. Two months ahead of the UHD Blu Ray

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Thanks for the post about 2001.
It’s been really confusing that dates and locations were never published for this restoration event after it was announced.
The confusion continues to the infinite and beyond...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks