What's new

$2000 to spend on a 16:9 (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
In about a month I will be moving into a larger house and would like to take the opportunity to upgrade from my 27" 4:3. I would very much appreciate 1) specific recommendations, and 2) as I am just starting to research 16:9's, I could use advice on what to look for, things to avoid, etc.

Thanks muchly for all help!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Maybe a few more specifics would help. What are the room dimensions? What kind of material do you view the most?

As it is, $2,000 provides you with plenty of tantalizing options--considering how deeply many sets are discounted. For now, your baseline should be Panasonic's 47-inch 16:9 RPTV. But don't discount direct-view sets. Nor should you opt for picture size over picture quality.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
i like the picture on the panasonic 47" widescreen. I can't remember the model number, but it shouldn't be hard to find. it lists for $2200, but you can definitely get it for less.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
What are the room dimensions? What kind of material do you view the most?
Room size I believe is approx 13x20. I haven't taken possession of the house yet, so I can't whip out my tape measure to be 100% certain.

Viewing is split between regular cable broadcasts (or time-shifted cable broadcasts on VHS) and DVD.

I'm more concerned with the quality of DVD viewing. Also, picture quality is more important to me than size.

I've been reading good things about the Toshiba 42H81. Do you think the Panasonic is better? and why? Thanks...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Gregg Lowen certainly likes the 47-inch Panny. But, in my experience, Panasonics tend to run at too high a color temp across the board, resulting in a blue-tinted picture. Even after a session with Video Essentials, you'd probably be best off with a professional calibration. Then the Panny's picture would be stunning.

The Tosh, while smaller, comes equipped with a more accurate color decoder--meaning that you would be able to tame it more easily if using only the user controls.

Either set is fine--and better than nine out of ten households will ever see. But plan on forking over an extra $200-$300 for a professional, ISF-certified calibration.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
But plan on forking over an extra $200-$300 for a professional, ISF-certified calibration.
I suppose it depends on the specific TV, but how essential is the full-blown calibration? I mean, is it something where the picture is just to awful to look at until it is done? Or is it something where a person could do their best with Video Essentials and get the professional calibration done sometime down the line?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The best $2k video system I've seen is a used 7" CRT projector ($1200) + HTPC + screen ($45 sheet of plastic).

Pros:

- Best picture

- Largest picture

Cons:

- Slightly more involved setup

- computer knowledge required (can you install a video card, drivers, Software, etc.)

- Light control is essential (need blackout curtains over any windows)

If this is the family TV, I'd 2nd the 42" Toshiba recommendation.

NathanS

Agent
I looked at the Panasonic 47", and a 47" Samsung. They're both nice sets, but I went with the Samsung, since I needed a screen protector.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 47" Panny and I love it. Model number is PT47WX49 (or wx51 which has the protective glare screen). Out of the box, like ANY set, it is in torch mode. Just turning down contrast, brightness and sharpness makes a huge difference. But this set really shines after some tweaking.

I have done the 64 point convergence, red push, efocus, mfocus, and SVM (physical wires). The longest was the convergence, which was probably around 2 hours total. That is the same with any set though. The others were probably a grand total of 30 minutes. I love the set, and the picture is unbeatable in it's price range (i got mine wx51 for $1570).

I have to say, most of the sets in this range are actually pretty good. The toshiba's might look better out of the box but they suffer from ghosting and the dreaded upconversion to 540p, but they don't lock into full mode on progressive and have better stretch modes. Check them out for yourself and decide, just remember that the showroom is often the worst place to see any of these sets...

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I was just recently able to purchase a Mitsubishi 46809 for $1850 + tax. I love the set as does anyone else who comes over to view it.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Ahh, another chance to rave about my Hitachi 43UWX10B. Great picture, easy to use & it comes in a nice compact package. Paired with a Panasonic RP56, I'm getting picture-quality I never thought possible at my budget for home theater.

I use Final Fantasy to show off the system. Regardless of what one might think of the story of this film, Final Fantasy really shows off this set to the max.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks