What's new

2 different types of connections in 1 component port? (1 Viewer)

Andy:Gs

Auditioning
Is it ok to hook up an svideo and rca video in to the same component port (vcr) on my reciever, and use them separately? I want to do this with my XBOX and Game Cube. I'll use the svideo for the XBOX and the rca video for the Game Cube. Obviously they won't be used at the same time.

I ask this because the 2 video switches I have bought have both not worked. I fugure that I'd cut out the "middle man" if possible.

Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
First lets clean up your post a bit by using different terms:

I ask this because the 2 video switches I have bought have both not worked.
I think they really DO work, but you expected them to do something different.

Concept 1: Composite video and SVideo are DIFFERENT.

Running the 2 different types into a simple switch will not let you see them on 1 output cable.

Concept 2: The switch is only a switch, not a converter.

You need to run all Composite into the switch, or all SVideo into the switch to be able to see both on 1 output cable.

There is a solution:

Radio Shack sells a cheap "Composite to SVideo Converter" for about $20. It's not great in terms of quality, but it will let you shove both devices as SVideo into a switch box, and get the 2 signals on 1 output SVideo cable. Run this to the SVideo VCR input on your receiver.

BUT: you must also be running SVideo from your receiver to your TV. The receiver is also a 'switch' and remember:

Concept 2.5: The Receiver is only a switch, not a converter.

This means any signal coming in on a SVideo cable can only be seen if you run a SVideo cable from the receiver to the TV. And on this wire, you will never see any signal that goes into your receiver with a Composite cable. To see these, you also need to run a Composite cable from the receiver to the TV.

Does this help?

Andy:Gs

Auditioning
Yes, that helps a lot. But i figured another way to hook both of them up without needing a receiver.

One more question: If I did what I posted before, and the XBOX (svideo) was not turned on, would my receiver "see" the Game Cube (rca jacks) if it was on? And vice versa?

Thanks again.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
If I did what I posted before, and the XBOX (svideo) was not turned on, would my receiver "see" the Game Cube (rca jacks) if it was on? And vice versa?
A tenative "yes".

Some (or even most) receivers work this way. They switch when they see a signal on a higher-quality feed.

But I think some receivers also detect the presence of a SVideo plug, not a signal. If your receiver is one of these, you would have to physically disconnect the SVideo plug from your receiver to see the Game Cube signal.

And these plugs are not designed for this type of in/out/in connections on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks