What's new

"1984" - Dominic Muldowney's score? (1 Viewer)

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Hi all...

I just picked up a copy of "1984" today. While watching the film, i didn't seem to hear any of the Eurythmics' score in the film. Upon closer inspection with some headphones, it seems to me as if the put a soundtrack with all of Dominic Muldowney's original score on the film, as opposed to the one featuring the Eurythmics. Am i imagining this one, or did the folks who did the transfer on this make a huge error?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I saw it theatrically and don't remember ever hearing much, if any, Eurythmics music at all, except for the end titles. Sounds like it's correct.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Um....

You're not hearing me. Radford did get his way, as NONE of the Eurythmics score appears in this new DVD version of the film.

I wonder how this got past MGM or Zoetrope (this DVD's authors)...

Methinks it's a case of a Michael Radford's quiet revenge on Richard Branson, after 19 years of waiting...

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I remember seeing this theatrically, and the film's all-black prologue featured the first half of the Eurythmics' title track, 1984/SexCrime (which would be released as a separate single, and not included on their 'soundtrack' LP). This prologue was cut from the video release.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Hmmm... This is a problem. I don't mind the removal of the "Sexcrime" piece at the beginning, but am I to understand they removed ALL of the Eurythmics background music from the movie? If so, to me that's overkill. The Eurythmics background music, whatever the original intentions may have been, actually helped intensify the doom and gloom atmosphere of the feature. At least that's what I picked up when I saw this movie during its original release and saw it Lord knows how many times afterwards.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
So anyway... Is there something that can be done about this? I'm one of those people who is used to the Eurythmics score, but also is pleased by the chance to hear the film as originally intended. Personally, i think having both tracks on the dvd would be a fine solution. Any suggestions?

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks