What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Blood Simple (1984) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
k7ajDld6m5lgHmq8HxxwO1ZroUllt8_large.jpg
Joel and Ethan Coen’s career-long darkly comic road trip through misfit America began with this razor-sharp, hard-boiled neonoir set somewhere in Texas, where a sleazy bar owner releases a torrent of violence with one murderous thought. Actor M. Emmet Walsh looms over the proceedings as a slippery private eye with a yellow suit, a cowboy hat, and no moral compass, and Frances McDormand’s cunning debut performance set her on the road to stardom. The tight scripting and inventive style that have marked the Coens’ work for decades are all here in their first film, in which cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld abandons black-and-white chiaroscuro for neon signs and jukebox colors that combine with Carter Burwell’s haunting score to lurid and thrilling effect. Blending elements from pulp fiction and low-budget horror flicks, Blood Simple reinvented the film noir for a new generation, marking the arrival of a filmmaking ensemble that would transform the American independent cinema scene.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 95 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #834

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• Restored 4K digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld and filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Conversation between Sonnenfeld and the Coens about the film’s look, featuring Telestrator video illustrations
    • Conversation between author Dave Eggers and the Coens about the film’s production, from inception to release
    • Interviews with composer Carter Burwell, sound editor Skip Lievsay, and actors Frances McDormand and M. Emmet Walsh
    • Trailers
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by novelist and critic Nathaniel Rich

Cover by Michael Boland

January 9, 2024

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah but Joel edited it. :cool:
I figured you were going to pull something like that... Certainly the Bros had a significant influence on it beyond that as well, but it isn't a Coen Bros movie.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I held off buying the blu but will purchase this one. I just wish they would have included the theatrical cut on this release.

Tom Kirk

Agent
Real Name
Tom Kirk
This is apparently Criterion's second release of Blood Simple on BD.
And Blood Simple is where Criterion lost me as a loyal sycophant.
It's NOT Blood Simple, it's Blood Simple 2000.
If you don't know the difference, I'm sorry but I'm not going to explain it for the 17th time.
I have a DVD of the BS Laserdisc, but for a song replacement it's as close as one can get to the theatrical release.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This is apparently Criterion's second release of Blood Simple on BD.
And Blood Simple is where Criterion lost me as a loyal sycophant.
It's NOT Blood Simple, it's Blood Simple 2000.
If you don't know the difference, I'm sorry but I'm not going to explain it for the 17th time.
I have a DVD of the BS Laserdisc, but for a song replacement it's as close as one can get to the theatrical release.

I'm not thrilled about it either, but it is consistent with Criterion's mission statement to present movies as their filmmakers wish them to be presented. A number of other Criterion titles are only available in Director's Cut form, for better or worse. And of course, there was the infamous case of The Last Emperor getting cropped to 2.00:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks