What's new

1916 NY Giants Win Streak ??? (1 Viewer)

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
After watching Miguel Tejada, nearly single-handedly, give way tonight's game, then watch Hatteberg hit the game winning home run to set the AL win streak record I need a beer to wind myself back down!!!:D
Anyway, my question is, should the 1916 NY Giants be credited with their 26 game win streak when they actually tied their 13th game into it. I mean, if you tie you don't win, so how can that not count within the streak. The records skip right over that game and consider their 14th game their 13th straight win. To me it should have been a 12 game streak followed by the tie, then another 13 game streak.
In any other situation in sports, a tie is always counted below a win (but above a loss). So since the record is for consecutive wins, not consecutive games without losing, I think the A's should only be two games away (instead of seven) from setting the all-time MLB win streak record.
Anyway, time to get that beer. Thanks for listening...
Bill

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Nevermind. I went back and checked the records and the tied game was replayed as part of a doubleheader the next day. So in actuality, there wasn't an official tie, just a game that was called after 8 innings, tied at 1-1. I don't know why it's even mentioned since it wasn't an official game.

And Ive now downed my beer so it's off to bed I go.

Cam S

Screenwriter
So how many games are they at right now? I havn't had time to watch the sports highlights.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
They are at 19 straight wins. Unbelievable streak.

So in actuality, there wasn't an official tie, just a game that was called after 8 innings, tied at 1-1. I don't know why it's even mentioned since it wasn't an official game.
It's mentioned because although the game itself did not count, the stats accumulated during the game did.

Bruce

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Actually it's 20 now - a new AL record. Amazing game yesterday that I caught the last couple innings of. The A's went up on the Royals 11-0 after 3 innings. The Royals tied it at 11-11 after the top of the 9th. Bottom 9, 1 out, bases empty - Scott Hatteberg, pinch hit, GW walk-off solo HR to win it, and the crowd goes ballistic. Unbelievable. Well worth staying up till 2AM to catch the end of it, even though I have a 9:45 class this morning. :)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Yeah, 20 wins in a row is pretty amazing. As a true fan boy for the Oakland Athletics, this is a special time. Tejada made some costly errors, but he usually backs it up with some amazing clutch hits right when the A's need it most.
Should the A's make the playoffs, I don't think any team right now would like to stand in front of this runaway train! :D
Go A's!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Tie-ing? Tie-ing? There's no Tie-ing in baseball! Err unless it's an exhibition all star game.

Tejada has been proposed as an MVP candidate. Given the A's won the game, their 20th, but a performance like his last night could sour the sportwriters. Plus he has 19 errors that is second highest in the leagure.

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Tejada won't be winning any Gold Gloves, that's for sure, but he definately means the world to the team this year. Watching last night's game nearly slip away in the top of the 9th, all I could think of were the 6+ runs that Tejada's sloppy play allowed. Well, as Madden says, "winning is the greatest deoderant," which is good. Wouldn't want that kind of a loss hanging over Miggi's head the rest of the season.

Now it's on to the meat of the September schedule. If they can play +.500 ball the rest of the way the playoffs should be a lock. Go A's!!!

Denward

Supporting Actor
In baseball, I don't think a tie should count against a winning streak because the game is not designed to end in ties. Ties only happen due to weather interruption and there's no chance or reason to make up the game. I don't even think ties are recognized as official games for the teams although statistics count for individual players.

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Thinking about it in present day terms--with games being suspended then resumed at a later date--then there should be no references to ties, unless the game is never resumed due to insignificance in the standings. Since the Giant's tied game was replayed the following day it's a moot point. But the standing at the date never reflected a tie (i.e., 71-62, not 71-61-1) so technically (as far as win-loss record goes) it never existed.

Of course, this morning's paper is now referring to the streak as consectuve games without a loss so my original comments are moot, also.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Tie-ing? Tie-ing? There's no Tie-ing in baseball! Err unless it's an exhibition all star game.
Ashley that was a good one. :laugh:
Unfortunately I cant laugh too much because it happened which really pissed me off. They should have forced those pitchers to finish the game. Heck have an infielder or outfielder pitch (which is legal) just dont call the damn game, or if the last pitcher is tired let him finish off the game even if it means he will get a lot of hits against him. :angry:
KyleS

MikeM

Screenwriter
The last three A's games, all having the A's winning in the bottom of the 9th, have been some of the most exciting baseball games I've ever seen. Just think if the strike came along right as this win streak was at its peak. I wonder if the strike would have killed the streak, anyone know?

KyleS

Screenwriter
Would the strike have killed the streak... To answer your question I dont think it would have unless baseball didnt continue.(like forever) If I am not mistaken the streak doesnt have to be within the same season or there is nothing that says it has to be. So if they won the last 10 games of the season and started the next year off with 16 more then that would count. (though IMO it wouldnt be near as exciting)

KyleS

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
They should have forced those pitchers to finish the game.
Kyle,
Like having Mark Grace pitch the 9th inning of the Dodgers 19-0 blowout of Arizone a couple of nights ago. That was fun to watch until the Dodger pitcher gave up a run and blow the highest shutout margin in Dodger history.
Grace became a jungle legend a couple of years ago when he volunteered on the Jim Rome radio show that sometimes when he or the fellows were in a slump that they would turn to a "slump buster." Also referred to as throwing youself on a grenade. The ballplayer would get the fattest ugliest woman he could find and take her back to his room for the night. Yesterday I was waiting to hear the following call to the Rome show. "Mr. Rome, question - Mark gave up one run in one inning. Is that a slump? I want to know if Mark will be coming over tonight. Thanks. Oh yeah, this is Anna Nicole."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks