What's new

1803, wait for SR-4300, other choices?? (1 Viewer)

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
So I'm finally ready to upgrade my receiver. I currently have a Sony STR-DE475...a few years old now, and from what I've read not a very good receiver. I am driving JBL N38's, an N-center, and some $40 on-sale Polk surrounds. Also just got my Panny 47wx52, so its definitely time for a receiver. I am looking around $500 and want all the new features that I can get so it will last me a few years. I have a spreadsheet with about 15 receivers on it and all their data, but I think I've decided to get as new a model as possible to ensure the best level of feature-packed-value available.
I really like both the Denon 1803 and the upcoming Marantz sr4300. It seems both will have all the features I'm looking for (DD EX, dts ES, PLII, 6 ch, good overall clarity and some juice). From what I've read here I can expect some better, or warmer, sound from the Marantz but the waiting is torture! I've also been considering the h/k 225 (seems underpowered), refurb h/k 320, and the Onk TX-SR600. I've searched and searched but just can't decide. I could use some help from those in the know... :)
I should also mention it will be used for 99% HT.
also, in general, what kind of difference in sound quality can I expect compared to the Sony (its 70x5, i think, DD, dts capable)?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Justin:

Between the Denon 1803 and the Marantz 4300 I'd probably take the Marantz, if only because I like its ergonomics and its retro-70s aesthetics. Yeah, you'll read a lot about how the Marantz is smoother for music--I think your mileage will vary enough that I wouldn't dismiss the 1803 out-of-hand. I'd avoid the Onkyo, but would have no problem with a H/K 225 which, I think you'll find, is NOT underpowered compared with the 1803 and the 4300.

Compared with your Sony, I think you'll be much happier. Sony's just don't have the oopmh to handle dynamic changes in music or movie passages. I can't tell you how many times, with my old STR-DE835, we would have to lower the volume after a very nice explosion, only to raise it again when we couldn't hear normal dialogue.

--AM

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Justin:

Between the Denon 1803 and the Marantz 4300 I'd probably take the Marantz, if only because I like its ergonomics and its retro-70s aesthetics. Yeah, you'll read a lot about how the Marantz is smoother for music--I think your mileage will vary enough that I wouldn't dismiss the 1803 out-of-hand. I'd avoid the Onkyo, but would have no problem with a H/K 225 which, I think you'll find, is NOT underpowered compared with the 1803 and the 4300.

Compared with your Sony, I think you'll be much happier. Sony's in the DE line just don't have the oopmh to handle wide dynamic changes in music or movie passages. I can't tell you how many times, with my old STR-DE835, we would have to lower the volume after a very nice explosion or booming orchestral passage, only to raise it again when we couldn't hear normal dialogue.

--AM

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Angelo,

I really like the Marantz as well. I'm just so eager to replace the Sony that I may have to go with something available now. The situation you describe with your Sony is EXACTLY what I've experienced. Even with AVIA balanced levels some of the louder effects are too loud and dialogue sometimes too soft. It's frustrating.

So I should consider the h/k 225 as well, huh? I guess that makes it a battle between the h/k 225 and the Denon 1803 (considering what is currently available). And throw in the Marantz SR4300 and the h/k 325 if I manage to muster the patience to wait a couple months.

Anyone care to make any reccommendations between the 225/1803?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks