16x9 or 4x3 Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Gurudristi, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Gurudristi

Gurudristi Auditioning

The native aspect ration of my projector(LG RDJT30) is 4:3, but I see a lot of DVD's. I intend to watch very little TV thru the proj.
    I am planning to get a fixed screen ( around 6.5 to 7 feet in width) installed in my HT. Wondering whether I should go for the widescreen aspect ratio of 2.35, or Letter box of 1.85 or simply stick to 4:3.
    Advise from guys who have already gone thru this process would be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

Got a ton of 4:3 media? If so go with it.

Otherwise, just as with HDTV, 1.78:1 will be the best compromise.

Not to sure how yet, but I have so much of each, that when I go projo, I will make provisions to run the projector either way for sure.

3. Gurudristi

Gurudristi Auditioning

Thanks John,
    Do you have a fixed screen or a roll down one?
    Since, I plan to have a fixed screen, I was wondering to install a screen of about 7 feet x 4 feet, which is very close to aspect ratio of 1.78 which you suggest. My HT room is about 12 x 16feet( 9 feet high) I am planning to have it masked with Black border and have dark colours on the wall behind. I plan a DIY with the screen. Any suggestions.......[​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

DIY screen?? easiest is to paint it on.

I currently do not have FP, but I do HT on the side and have done plenty of installations on them.

Paint on screen seems as good as any mid line screen, high end screens only give a small improvement over mid line screens in my experiences.

Should be great for you really....

I should digress a little.. I count 1.33:1 and non-anamorphic both as 4:3 material. I have just a ton of that stuff as I have a 900 title LD library. So it keeps tilting me back to native 4:3 display.

5. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

I have a fixed Da-lite 16x9 (7x4 feet) and love it. I even watch normal tv on it and it doesn't bother me. Your going to have black bars one way or the other and I would rather have my movies fill the screeen.

6. Demetrius

Demetrius Agent

I agree with Brice, 16X9 is going to make sense when watching movies. The 4X3 will work on a 16X9 screen and the picture is still big (usuable).

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Edited title for you.

16x9 if you watch more widescreen for sure plus hdef sources will be more suited to that.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

9. Gurudristi

Gurudristi Auditioning

Dustin,
    I enjoyed going thru your page,especially the DIY screen. Finally, are you using the grey painted one or the standard one you made. I plan to make a grey painted( probably do some testing myself) with enamel Aluminium( matte finish) on formica surface(7x4).
    gurudristi

10. Gurudristi

Gurudristi Auditioning

So Guys, finally shall I call it a 'go ahead' for 1.78 aspect ratio with the fixed projection screen, or I think I will wait for some more view during the week end for other aspect ratios such 1.33, 1.85 or 2.2 or 2.35??

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

With all my experimentation I decided the plain white (no extra treatments what so ever) black out fabric gave me the best picture.