What's new

International 2 Universal titles from the 50s never in R1 available in Germany (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Yankee Pasha (1954) with Jeff Chandler and Rhonda Fleming and This Earth Is Mine (1959 with Rock Hudson and Jean Simmons have just been released in Germany. This Earth Is Mine is anamorphic 16x9 but alas, Yankee Pasha is in the 4x3 full frame format. They both appear to be legitimate releases. Yankee Pasha is released by Pidax and has the Universal logo. This Earth Is Mine is released by Filmjuwelen which is a legitimate label but the Universal logo appears no where on the DVD jacket, front or back. This Earth Is Mine has had a legitimate DVD release in Spain but unfortunately while wide screen, it is not anamorphic.

Unfortunately, Amazon.de is not mailing to the U.S. at this time. Of course, there's always the possibility that Kino Lorber which has a deal with Universal may release these titles in the U.S. One can only hope.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yankee Pasha (1954) with Jeff Chandler and Rhonda Fleming and This Earth Is Mine (1959 with Rock Hudson and Jean Simmons have just been released in Germany. This Earth Is Mine is anamorphic 16x9 but alas, Yankee Pasha is in the 4x3 full frame format. They both appear to be legitimate releases. Yankee Pasha is released by Pidax and has the Universal logo. This Earth Is Mine is released by Filmjuwelen which is a legitimate label but the Universal logo appears no where on the DVD jacket, front or back. This Earth Is Mine has had a legitimate DVD release in Spain but unfortunately while wide screen, it is not anamorphic.

Unfortunately, Amazon.de is not mailing to the U.S. at this time. Of course, there's always the possibility that Kino Lorber which has a deal with Universal may release these titles in the U.S. One can only hope.
Thanks for this information. If Yankee Pasha is in open matte format with masses of redundant head room, I can live with that as many movie-goers in 1954 would have seen the film that way in theaters. I'd like to know what is the picture and sound quality of these two discs.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for this information. If Yankee Pasha is in open matte format with masses of redundant head room, I can live with that as many movie-goers in 1954 would have seen the film that way in theaters. I'd like to know what is the picture and sound quality of these two discs.

I'll let you know. Yankee Pasha is (was?) available from a third party seller on Amazon.UK so I ordered it and it has shipped.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
That's interesting news - thank you. I see a listing for Yankee Pasha on Amazon.de but I can't find anything for This Earth is Mine. The latter is one I'm quite keen on; in my opinion, you can never have too much Henry King in your collection.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting news - thank you. I see a listing for Yankee Pasha on Amazon.de but I can't find anything for This Earth is Mine. The latter is one I'm quite keen on; in my opinion, you can never have too much Henry King in your collection.

Here's the link to This Earth Is Mine:

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
That link's not working for me, Thomas - it just leads me to the Amazon.com homepage.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Nope, still the same. Odd, but thanks for trying.

Actually, I've just manged to track it down via the simple expedient of googling: Diese Erde ist mein dvd

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Okay, I finally managed to get my hands on a copy. First, the good news: the colors are vivid and bright. The bad news: while some sequences are razor sharp, the majority of the film is too soft and lack sharpness and clarity. I'm just happy to have a watchable copy but if the German transfer is an accurate rendering of its current state, it is clear that it would need some major restoration work for an acceptable HD transfer. So I'm not holding my breath about a Kino Lorber release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Okay, I finally managed to get my hands on a copy. First, the good news: the colors are vivid and bright. The bad news: while some sequences are razor sharp, the majority of the film is too soft and lack sharpness and clarity. I'm just happy to have a watchable copy but if the German transfer is an accurate rendering of its current state, it is clear that it would need some major restoration work for an acceptable HD transfer. So I'm not holding my breath about a Kino Lorber release.
Thomas; thank you for that. I'll hum and ha for a bit but I might still buy it. Does Rhonda Fleming look good?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thomas; thank you for that. I'll hum and ha for a bit but I might still buy it. Does Rhonda Fleming look good?

Rhonda looks great! Has she ever looked anything less? :) btw, I watched the film on a 42" HD monitor. I suspect the larger your screen, the worse it will look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks