What's new

16:9 on 4:3 CRT etching bars into display? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenMc

Grip
Someone posted that their tv with a 16:9 squeeze mode said that if it is used more than 15% of the time that the black bars, both upper and lower, will begin to etch onto the screen permanently. Is this true for ALL the CRTs that have the 16:9 squeeze ability? Sounds to me like an old computer crt that didn't have a screen saver. I hope they don't all do that, because I like watching programming in 16:9 no matter the display. Anyone know anyhting about this issue?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Please consult the Master Burn-in thread, stickied at the top of this forum.

Also, you'd be burning in the active image areas, not the black bars. Yes it is possible, but it depends on the kind of TV you have as to how much risk there is, along with how your display's white level is set.

KenMc

Grip
Ok, for some reason I thought burn-in meant something else. When the black bars are there, aren't the pixels just shut off?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, black means that area, in the case of a CRT, is not being excited to emit light by the electron beam. Black causes the least wear on the phosphors, because basically they're not doing anything. The harder you drive the phosphors (brighter) the more/faster they wear. All phosphor-based displays (including plasmas) wear over time. How long depends on how hard the display drives the phosphors, which is in part based on display type (projection CRTs drive them much harder than direct views for instance) and white level setting (contrast).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As noted, this topic is discussed at length in the MASTER BURN-IN thread.

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks