What's new

$15 off any Disney DVD, No Minimum (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I received the same "No promotion has this coupon code. Please try again." when trying the "HOLIDAY" offer on my order this morning at 8:30 EST. Looks like the deal has been revoked. Bummer!

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I learned about this deal from a thread on DVDTalk. Unfortunately, it got killed before I could finish reading it yesterday. But from what I understand, when Disney disabled the coupon on their web site, someone affliated with Disney (either a representative or someone in the know) posted in the thread and said we would be getting charged full price. The holiday code was really a physical coupon (or maybe it was card, I'm not sure) and we needed to mail it in to get our $15.

There must have been quite an uproar on DVDTalk because the thread got removed. Another has been started there. Someone has posted they indeed got charged full price. Other people say their credit cards have been charged the discounted price. I have email receipts with the discount applied, so I plan to contest it with my credit card company if I get charged full price.

Brian E

Screenwriter
affliated with Disney (either a representative or someone in the know) posted in the thread and said we would be getting charged full price.
They can cancel the orders, but they can't charge more than the agreed upon price. As far as I know that's illegal. You'd think these companies would have learned years ago if you're going to limit the coupon it needs to have a unique code for each one.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Got this after I emailed them and asked why the coupon wasn't showing up on the online order status (but was onmy email confirmation). Since Lilo was a preorder, I guess it won't apply. I'll just order from Bestbuy.com and get the $5 digital coupon. It's currently priced at $19.95, but I hope it will be cheaper opening weekend. Not sure if the lithographs are worth it.
Dear Disney Guest,
Thank you for your recent inquiry.
The Holiday Magic Gift Card Promotion was available from
8/12/02-8/26/02. All Guests who placed orders in the amount of $65 or
more, received a Holiday Magic Gift Card Order.
The Holiday Magic Gift Card Promotion is redeemable 11/01/02-11/10/02,
and can be redeemed at your local Disney Store, DisneyStore.com or
Disney Catalog.
The rules of the promotion are as follows:
*Only one order per card.
*May not be used with video pre-sells or back-ordered items.
*May not be applied toward shipping and handling.
*Not to be used with other promotions, free shipping & handling, gift
with purchase, or discounts.
*Not valid on previous purchases.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us at
[email protected].

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Some people are saying our orders will be put on hold for 30 days until we mail in the cards. Some CSRs took phone orders and applied this discount to Lilo & Stich. Even their own customer service didn't know the rules of the discount (one of which was it can't be used on preorders). I guess we'll find out soon enough what Disney is going to do. I have a feeling that I'll be cancelling my orders.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
How stupid does DisneyStore.com have to be in late 2002 to have this situation? A generic coupon code with no minimum purchase that can be used multiple times by anybody. Reel.com and other places learned that lesson in 1999.

The bottom line is that if they don't want just anybody to be able to use a coupon then the website shouldn't allow it, period.

The right thing to do would be to honor the orders, take their lumps, and fix their problems. But knowing Disney, I doubt that's what they'll do.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've checked my online order page and see that my 3 orders are listed with the $15 discount on each. Additionally, I've checked my credit card and see that the correct amount (which includes the $15 discount) has been reserved from my limit.

After learning of the controversy, I'm puzzled. My 3 orders average out at $10 apiece. Although I missed it, I was aware of the Disney B&M's conducting a promotion a while back where all dvd's were $10. I supposed that this online promotion was an extension of their B&M promotion.

Especially since during each transaction, the notation stated with the application of the code read, "Only one discount per transaction". Absolutely no mention of one discount per household or person. I would have thought otherwise if it had clearly stated these restrictions, as does virtually every other site and their codes. Given the size and sophistication of Disney, I never imagined that this was a mistake.

Well, let's see how interminable the wait is before any action is taken.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Couldn't get it to work. SNOWFLAKE (10%) worked but not HOLIDAY.
I keep getting, "Oops! No promotion has this coupon code. Please try again."

Maybe it was a mistake.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Ralph, the code, HOLIDAY is no longer valid. Apparently, it was a mistake on Disney's part to allow for multiple use.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I called to ask what the status of my order is and the rep said it would be cancelled since it was for a preorder and the coupon didn't apply. I set just make sure it is cancelled since I won't pay full price plus their shippling fee.

Funny since the summary page shows the order with the coupon and when you click on the detailed page for that order, it doesn't show the coupon.

Oh well...

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
FYI -- new C/Net article on this circus:

Disney battles coupon goof

By Troy Wolverton
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
November 6, 2002, 4:25 PM PT

A coupon mix-up at Walt Disney's online store over the weekend led to a surge of orders--and a huge headache for the company.
Using a coupon code that was passed around on shopping discussion sites, such as FatWallet.com and DVD Talk, consumers flooded DisneyStore.com with four times the normal volume of orders. After seeing the site's order volume increase, Disney modified the offer, limiting customers' ability to use the coupon and started combing through the orders to determine which were legitimate, said company spokeswoman Maria Gladowski.

Disney is still going through those orders and hasn't yet determined what to do with orders from customers who shouldn't have had access to the coupon code, Gladowski said.

"We're processing the orders as quickly as possible. As we review and verify them, they will be shipped out," she said.

Disney had given a $15 gift certificate to customers who bought $65 or more of goods in one of its physical stores or over the phone or Internet in August and September, Gladowski said. The coupon had no minimum purchase requirement, she said, meaning that customers could potentially receive goods for free using the coupon.

To redeem the coupon online or over the phone, customers were initially required only to give the code for the gift certificate. Although Disney stated in the terms of the coupon that it could be used only once, the company took no initial technical steps to prevent customers from using it multiple times or passing it on to other people.

Instead, the company used two different codes on all the gift certificates it issued, one for customers who had previously shopped in its brick-and-mortar stores and one for those who had previously shopped online or over the phone.

Word of the latter code quickly spread on the Internet via the shopping discussion boards. Some board users later claimed to have made as many as 12 orders using the code.

After discovering that the code had been placed on different shopping boards, Disney took steps to limit its use. On Saturday, the company stopped automatically accepting the coupon online and started notifying customers that to use the gift certificate, they would have to mail it to the company after placing their order.

Customers who placed their orders before Disney posted the notice do not need to send in their cards, Gladowski said. The company is determining which customers had legitimately received and used the gift certificate and expects to process those orders within the next two days or so, she said.

Even more troubling for some customers than whether they will receive the items they ordered was how much Disney was going to charge them for their orders. On FatWallet, some users reported that Disney had charged their credit cards full price on orders to which they tried to apply the coupon.

In an e-mail message to CNET News.com one Disney customer said the company had changed the price on an order he placed for a collector's edition DVD of Fantasia, taking away the discount after shipping it.

"Disney has now altered the agreed-upon price and decided to charge me more without my consent," the customer wrote.

Disney does not plan to charge full price to customers who used the coupon code before it placed the notice on its site asking them to send in their gift certificates, Gladowski said. But those customers who placed their orders after Disney posted the notice will be charged full price, she said. Disney will refund the amount of the coupon after it receives the coupon from them, she said.

"People have been mailing in their cards," she said. "They don't seem to have skipped a beat since we got them to send them in."

Disney is the latest company to fall victim to Internet shoppers trying to exploit a pricing glitch or a poorly designed coupon campaign. Last year, Spiegel customers repeatedly used codes from supposedly one-time-use coupons to order products from the catalog company. After shipping some products before catching the problem, the company charged some customers for the discounts they received and threatened to never let them order from it again.

Similar problems have hit online stores such as Macys.com Buy.com Staples.com and eZiba. However, most of those stores caught their coupon problem before they shipped products. Instead, most simply canceled the illegitimate orders.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Wow...thanks for posting that John. I'm not really sure what to do now, though I did send them an e-mail to cancel my orders if they plan to charge more than the invoice stated.

-C

Matt McHugh

Auditioning
I just received this in my email from Disney:
To:
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 8:02 AM
Subject: Shipment Confirmation from DisneyStore.com
>
>
>
>
> Dear MATTHEW,
>
> The following items have been shipped! To track your shipment, click
> the carrier Web Site address or go to
http://www.disneystore.com/OrderTracking .
>
> Order Number: xxxxxxx-01 Order Date: 11/02/02
> Date Shipped:11/05/02
> Amount Charged : 26.90
>
> Shipment Tracking Number:xxxxxxxxxxx
> Carrier:AIRBORNE http://track.airborne.com/
>
> Item Qty Shipped
>
> 27221 1
> DVD-DSNY SCHL HOUS ROCK
>
>
> Thank you for your order. Please visit us again soon!
>
> Your Friends at DisneyStore.com
> http://www.disneystore.com
NO DISCOUNT!!!
Below is my online order still posted on their website:
Order Date Order Id Total
Nov 02 2002 04:33 PM xxxxxxx $11.76
SO I called the CSR 800 # and asked them what the deal was. They said that since there was abuse of the coupon that they were charging people full price and then once they received the coupon they would refund the $15. I told them that they could either refund my $15 now or expect the order back. The CSR said no problem, deny the order and we will refund the full price.
So basically, Disney doesn't honor agreed upon pricing and doesn't authorize charging additional money to credit cards. CAN anyone say FRAUD!!!
BOYCOTT DISNEY!!!! I am.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Have you tried talking to your credit card company? If you have all the documentation (emails and screen prints), I would go that route (I'm expecting I'll have to do this). I didn't think they could charge you an amount you didn't authorized.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Matt,
Email your situation to the writer of the CNet.com article, Troy Wolverton. He was on FatWallet asking people to send him info if Disney charged them more than they agreed to. The email address he listed is [email protected].

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Matt, I agree with everyone else in recommending that you contest the charge with your credit card - send in a copy of the online order which includes the discount or your original email where the discount is reflected. I suspect that you'll have a fighting chance to get the charge amended.

As far as those who placed orders on Friday...any resolution yet? The CNET article is somewhat amorphous - yes, it states that anyone who placed orders before the notification (early to mid-Saturday?) won't be charged full price. However what happens next is unclear - will Disney cancel the order(s) or ship them out at the agreed upon price?

Will anyone who placed orders on Friday post once their situation becomes resolved? I will, and for now, something odd - up until yesterday, Disney had reserved an amount on my credit card for the purchases, a reserve that reflected the discounts.

However, when I checked this morning, the reserved amounts are no longer there. Hopefully we get some clarification soon (e.g., emails)?

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Well, while I do believe they should not have charged the regular price, I understand and agree with why they cancelled the orders.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Here's the e-mail being reported as just received by multiple posters on various other boards:
Dear Disney Guest,
Thank you for your recent order in which you redeemed a $15 Holiday
Magic Card. We have just learned that information about the Holiday
Magic Card was inaccurately posted on certain Web sites and email
services without Disney's prior knowledge or authorization. Disney
provided the Holiday Magic Card only to Disney Guests who
participated in a retail promotion that ended earlier this year.
Use of the Holiday Magic Card is subject to all the terms and
conditions printed on the back of the Card, as re-printed below.
Each Card is valid for only one transaction and cannot be used in
connection with certain merchandise and other offers, as stated in
the terms and conditions.
To enable us to release your order for shipment, we need to match
your actual Holiday Magic Card with our records of your actual
order. Please mail your Holiday Magic Card(s), along with your
name, address and Order Number(s), to:
Holiday Magic Card Redemption
Disney Online
P.O. Box 29144
Shawnee Mission, KS
66201-9144
Upon receipt and verification of the above, we will release your
order and credit your account for any applicable Holiday Magic
Card discounts, plus $.39 for postage reimbursement. If we do not
receive your Holiday Magic Card by midnight on November 23, 2002,
your order will be canceled.
If you have any questions, please contact us at
[email protected] or call us at 800-362-8319.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.
Sincerely,
Disney catalog and DisneyStore.com
Terms and Conditions
- Card valid November 1 - November 10, 2002.
- Card valid for one transaction only. No refund on any unused
value.
- Additional value cannot be added to this card.
This promotional card is redeemable for $15 towards the purchase
of merchandise sold at any Disney Store in the U.S., at Disney
catalog, or on DisneyStore.com. Not valid on theme park passes,
Disney Dollars, gift certificates, gift cards, pre-sales, animation
art (all cels and limited edition prints), Walt Disney Classics
Collection, Disney Store phone orders, or shipping and handling.
Not valid in combination with any other sales promotion, gift with
purchase offer, or discount. Merchandise must be in stock at time
of purchase and can only be exchanged for identical items & returned
at the discounted price with a valid sales receipt. Not valid on
previous purchases or price adjustments. This card cannot be copied
and will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or damaged. Promotional
card has no cash value. Void where prohibited. Employees of the
Walt Disney Company, its subsidiaries and their immediate families
are ineligible. Use of this card is acceptance of its terms and
conditions

Jimmy M

Second Unit
I notice that the terms and conditions do not say that the coupon can not be transferred. Therefore, how can Disney research to see if a customer has legitimately received the card from Disney, or was given one by someone else?

Jimmy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks