What's new

12 volt Trigger Out - Uses? (1 Viewer)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting for my 3803 to be delivered. When I get it it will be time for a rewire of a number of things in my HT. One of the things I want to address is cooling. My current Onkyo Integra 838 actually has a volume/temp-activated fan but it never kicks-in early enough to keep things as cool as I would like. I don't think the Denon even has a fan but regardless, I want to install a fan in my rack that is triggered by the receiver. Can I just connect a 12 volt fan (like 5 bucks from PArts Express) to the 12V trigger on the 3803? Or, is that trigger just some kind of pulse for triggering relays?

BTW - did a search but the results were overwhelming.

Thanks

N

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The trigger is similar to what you find on car audio head units: It's designed to switch on amplifiers, not carry a load.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Okay, thanks Wayne.

So the next question is, how do I go about doing what I want to do with this fan business? Find one that runs at 120V I guess and run that off the receiver?

N

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
You can always use the switched outlet on the back of your receiver and use a 12v DC Adaptor to power the fan.

LewB

Screenwriter
You can buy one of these and use it to power 120V stuff if you don't have or run out of switched outlets. I used a Radio Shack cable that has a mini-plug on one end and spade connectors on the other. I clipped off the spade lugs and was in business. I use this set-up to power on/off my sub along with a powered FM antenna from my receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks