What's new

12 Gauge wire ok for grounding my antennae? (1 Viewer)

BrianBbb

Agent
I've got a ground block that the coax runs through that I'll ground and I'm going to ground the mast as well. Is 12 gauge wire ok?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think my coax is grounded with something like 20 ga (solid) wire. 12 ga is way overkill - but use it if you got it.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I assume the grounding wire will be outside? I would be more concerned with how it holds up to the elements. Radio Shack sells (I'm sure there are cheaper sources) 40 ft. of aluminum grounding wire for $6.99. It says 8 gauge.

wally

Second Unit
Should you ground an antennae that is mounted in the attic? If so, what is the process?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The purpose of grounding an antenna is to get rid of an electrical charge from a lightning strike. I have one in my attic and don't consider it necessary to ground. If the antenna is touching metal (which would not be a good thing anyway) that connects to outside the house, it could be a problem. If you have an outdoor satellite and use your attic antenna for over the air reception and it is connected via a diplexer or via cable I guess it could be possible for a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks