What's new
World Wide Stereo

1080i v. 1080p - Is Upgrade Worth It? (1 Viewer)

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I have a Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player and a Mitsubishi DLP rear projector that is capable of 1080p. Everything is connected to an Onkyo 705 via HDMI.

Since Toshiba is dropping the price of the A30 (

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Do you notice any difference between 720p and 1080i? If the answer is 'no' then I seriously doubt you'll notice any improvement in getting 1080p. If 'yes' then you may notice a difference. BUT: don't expect it to be a huge mud-wrestle-your-grandmother-to-get-it difference.

I'd counsel caution against investing in HD DVD given the recent news, unless it suits your specific needs.

FWIW. I have 1080p BD and HD players but 'only' a 1080i screen. I've tried out a 1080p screen and yes, I can tell a difference, but IMHO it ain't worth the extra outlay at the moment. Yes, the next set I get when my present one has to be replaced will be 1080p (and 24 fps, etc as well), but I'm in no great rush.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Are you having problems with interlacing? Combing artifacts, perhaps? If so, by all means, get a 1080p player. Otherwise...

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Frankly, if there is any difference at all, I don't expect it to be noticeable. I believe that my TV actually converts the 1080i to 1080P (but I could be wrong about that). I was just looking for confirmation.

Although I don't plan to buy many (if any) new HD-DVDs, I enjoy the 30 or so I have already. I expect the A30 to reach below $150, at which point it is not that much of an investment. Plus it would allow me to move the A2 to another room. But if there is no real difference than I will probably pass.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Fair point. And in addition, the upscaling should be excellent so it's also a wise bet for playing SD discs (It'll be years before they're all issued - if indeed all of them are - in a hi def format).

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

The answer is no*.

*If your TV properly de-interlaces the 1080i signal, there is no difference if your HD DVD player is 1080i or 1080p. Your TV will take the 1080i signal and de-interlace it and put all the lines back to their original 1080p state before it displays it. The only reason you would see a difference is if your TV doesn't properly handle the de-interlacing step.

So if 1080i/1080p is the only reason you are thinking of spending the extra coin (and your TV properly handles the de-interlacing), save your money.

Matthew J

Agent
I think I'll be upgrading my A2 to a A35 Even though I don't have a 1080p tv just yet. And the analog outs seem worth it for my current receiver.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

That's pretty much what I thought. I think my TV does a fine job of deinterlacing so I'll keep my money in my pocket for a while. Unless someone can tell me other reasons for moving to a third-gen player.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
If HD DVD folds now that Warner has gone Blu-Ray, then chances are high that third-gen HD will be the most advanced generation that comes to the market place. Therefore, there would be grounds for buying a fire sale HD DVD player and keeping it in storage for when your current player bites the dust. But this is predicated on two suppositions:

(1) in the future, affordable dual players don't appear (this is implausible given previous analagous experiences of multi-format DVD recorders, DVD players that play VCDs, etc)

(2) BD versions of HD discs don't appear (if they do - and it's odds-on they will - then it'd probably be cheaper to buy replacement discs than buy another HD player).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks