What's new

Upgrade time! Any advice for the new guy? (1 Viewer)

Tearedrop

Auditioning
Real Name
JT
Hello HT Forum! I am relatively new to the home theater scene and am seeking advice as I look to upgrade my college set-up. Don’t get me wrong, I have been doing my own due diligence but thought it’d be beneficial to learn from the experience/expertise of others.

Here’s what I’m working with:
Receiver: Sony STR-DE575, 5x100, Dolby Digital, DTS 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic
DVD: Sony DVPNS700H/B, Upconvert to 720p/1080i/1080p through A/V sync
Front speakers L/R (just arrived!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
): JBL Cinema Sound cst55, Floorstanding.
Center: JBL Cinema Sound csc55 (arrives tomorrow)
Surrounds: KLH satellite speakers (came with the receiver back in 2001)
Subwoofer: KLH subwoofer (came with receiver. Entry level floor-speakers used to take care of the bass, plus it was college..as long as the music was loud no one truly paid attention
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)
Room: Approx 18”x16” but it’s open to dining area (it’s a loft condo), wood floor with concrete underneath

Goal:
a) Update my subwoofer, b) Consider surround speaker alternatives, and c) Get feedback on speaker wire hookup/selection.

a) I considered the subwoofer that follows the series, but prefer front vs. floor-firing. So it has been narrowed down to the Infinity PS210 (~$200 new) – in an effort to have decent power but staying within harmon/infinity/jbl maker. I also have the opportunity to purchase a Miller & Kreisel V-125 (~$225), but despite its rave reviews, I’m hesitant about its 9 years of age. Should I stick with the PS210, look to spend ~$50-60 more for the PS212, or kick it old school? Any other suggestions?

b) Regarding surround speakers, I have read it’s best to stay within the same speaker line. Before I jump into purchasing another pair of JBL cst55 for surrounds, what else should I consider? For budget reasons, I am putting this off for now unless I see another deal pop-up on the web. In the meantime, suggestions are appreciated.

c) The Cst55’s base includes binding posts which allow either bare wire through holes within the base or spade connectors. Currently, I have wire running through the base, but read that spade connections are superior. Users in another thread suggested “WBT” connectors. What is required to add these to my existing wire (it’s Monster cable from a HTIB package - the connectors were loose and so I took them off at the speaker’s end)? Also, is it worth the trouble for someone who hasn't dealt with wire before (granted, I'd like to think that I'm a fairly handy person)?

My apologies for the long post! Thought I’d put it all on the table. Let me know if I missed anything. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help out! I look forward to learning more…

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
a) Step up from the big box retail subs and go internet direct. Since you are in Chicago, you are local to Epik Subwoofers. Chad is a member here (not very active now) and a great guy to deal with.

b) Staying in the same line for timbre matching is a great idea.

c) A good screw terminal is a great connection. You don't need things like spades or banana connectors unless you are testing speakers and need to make a lot of connections/disconnections over a short period of time.

-Robert

Tearedrop

Auditioning
Real Name
JT
Robert- Thank you for the advice.

I am not too familiar with Epik, but will take a look.

In regards to the surrounds, the speakers in the cinema line are straight channels (not sure of the correct term) vs. bipole/dipole. I read that a bipole/dipole surround provides more realistic sound replication. Or for my purposes of starting out, would you recommend just focusing on obtaining a matching set?

Yes, I do not plan to do much moving once the speakers are hooked up for the first time. My only fear is the possibility of shorting - a comment in another thread mentioned that using bare wire is asking for a short. Is monster cable ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks