What's new

$1000. Best receiver for mostly 2 ch & need B-speaker terminals (1 Viewer)

darrell_s

Auditioning
Hi, I would like to get some opinions on what my best options are for a new receiver.

I currently have an 8 year old sony system and I am still using the tower speakers that came with it but the receiver is starting to give out. I mostly listen to 2 channel music, probably about 80/20 music/HT and I also need a set of b speakers for a set of small monitors I occasionally use with my turntables while the sound is also playing through the mains and I would rather not have to use a second receiver for the job.

After reading this board for a while and doing some research I recently ordered an Onkyo 797 from J&R thinking it would be a huge improvement over my current setup(at the time I didnt consider the need for B speaker terminals) but once I hooked it up although I thought it sounded much cleaner, I also thought that for music it sounded much too bright and almost lifeless, so I decided to return it. Since then I have not been able to find anything at a reasonable price that seems to fit my needs.

I have read many positive posts on this board about the H/K 520 regarding music reproduction but it doesnt seem to have B speakers and also seems to be rather low on power. Are there any other units that fit the bill or would it be a much better decision to wait and save up to purchase something like the Outlaw 950 and maybe some used amps.

If all else fails I will probably just end up getting something like the Onkyo 700(which will probably be similar to the 797 but with b speakers) and just get used to the sound...

Thanks in advance.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Just FYI, the 797 does not have B-speaker outputs, you may want to use its zone 2 pre-outs and connect a seprate amp. yes, a 2-channel amp should solve all musical problems that you may have with the 797. I also have the 797 and am debating adding a 2-channel amp.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Darrell,

You should consider the Nakamichi AV10 dd/dts receiver. No frills, nice stereo sound, solid 100x5, retail $1200, speaker B. You should be able to get on ebay from a dealer or someone with lots of good reviews for under $750.

darrell_s

Auditioning
I appreciate all the input.

I think I will most likely end up getting a new receiver along the lines of the Onkyo 700, I will also look into the recommended Nakamichi, and then add a 2 channel amp to help out with the music. That is unless of course I manage to find a way to afford seperates...

Thanks again.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Nakamichi AV10, for 2-channel audio quality. In addition to the points made above, it has TWO power transformers for the multichannel mode, and can output 20 amperes in stereo mode. I have the AV500, and I haven't found another receiver that can approach it in audio quality. You have to hear one of these in a head to head comparison with other receivers to appreciate how much better they are. Better openness, transparency, and low-frequency extension and control.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew D:
The Direct mode cancels all of the receiver's sound processing. None of the treble, bass, upsampling, or any other DSP's are eliminated and exactly what the receiver gets in the input is what it amplifies. Even if you were not in direct mode, when you got to seprates, you would be amazed still. I used a friend's Parasound HCA-1500A to verify this fact. I'm thinking of moving to a seprate amp as well. I'm considering a Rotel 1080, it looks real good, 200wpc with a 1.2kva toroidal transformer:D! I'm also considering the budget way with a Parasound 1000A or used 1500A, both of which I have read very good reviews of.

darrell_s

Auditioning
I just checked out the Nakamichi site and the AV10 doesnt appear to have B-speaker terminals. Or am I wrong?

IMHO you will have a hard time beating the Outlaw 1050 6.1 receiver at an unbelievable $499. It is very musical with great reviews. Does not have B speaker option. However, I bet you could add a switching box for A/B, A+ B and it will work fine. It has "the guts" to take an impedance drop from 8 to 4 ohms.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Darrell,

If you look at the lower left area of the front panel of the AV10, just right of the power button, you will see the buttons for the A/B speaker selection. Also, if you look on the back panel diagram on the specs page, you will see two sets of binding posts for the main left/right channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks