What's new

10" Sealed cab speaker suggestions (1 Viewer)

Doug Craig

Agent
Real Name
Doug Craig
I have a couple of cylindrical (sonotube), sealed subwoofers that I made some time ago. At the time, I took the advice of a friend and installed Gold Sound dual voice coil 10" drivers...

I have found out (through this forum) that these speakers were never intended for subwoofer use, and my results have always been way below my intentions - I get good bass 'support' but no impact and very little low end.

I'm looking for suggestions to replace the drivers with a good, but not too expensive set of subwoofers.

Anyone...?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Doug Craig

Agent
Real Name
Doug Craig
No, the tube size is not large enough, 10" was the largest to fit into the system (I don't have the complete specs here at work). The system is sealed, no port.

I am amplifying it with a 200 watt external subwoofer amp.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, tough to say without knowing the internal volume (Vb). Many "car audio" woofers are meant to work in very small boxes and don't go all that low (they rely on a car's cabin gain) as you've found out. Just putting a "good" 10" driver won't guarantee success or improvement.
You want two drivers for $150? And this amp is powering both of them? Which amp is this you're using?

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Well, maybe a starting point would be to check out the 10" Titanic subwoofer. But that one costs $130... each.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall any good quality 10" subwoofer driver. I think they all start in 12" size.

A Cerwin-Vega 10" (HED-12) has a 24 Hz FS, so it might be a nice match to your enclosures. Bad thing is, due to its Q parameters it has a slight hump on the 40-50 Hz region, which might not be to your liking. According to specs, it would work a lot better in an IB.

Doug Craig

Agent
Real Name
Doug Craig
At this point, I just want one good one - I'll check out the Titanic...

I'm using a KG150 Subwoofer amp.

In the meantime, I'm looking to build another set... and that will take a little time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks