What's new

10.2 channel sound? (1 Viewer)

John*paulJ

Grip
Has anyone heard anything else on this new format, I have only read about it in home theater mag(november 2001)?

Han

Second Unit
It's been mentioned in these forums a few times. You can probably search for it in the AV sources, Speakers, or Receiver/Separates forums.
Secrets's latest Q and A has a diagram of it...
Link Removed
I'm sure the people who developed it know what they're doing, but only 1 center surround speaker??? That doesn't make any sense considering current (pseudo) 7.1 setups are using 2 center surrounds.
Then there are theories about subs. Why 2? And why in that stereo-front position? Some people like stacking all their subs in one corner even if they have more than one. Some like one in the front and one in the back.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Then there are theories about subs. Why 2? And why in that stereo-front position? Some people like stacking all their subs in one corner even if they have more than one. Some like one in the front and one in the back.
Multiple subs stacked in one corner makes sense when they're provided the same signal. A stereo sub channel would require the subs be separated. But what's the point, since low bass is non-directional? Besides, the .1 (or .2) channels shouldn't be carrying any directional frequencies anyway. Sounds like something Bose might try though! :rolleyes
When I saw "10.2", I was thinking someone took two 5.1 processors and connected them in parallel to provide "10.2" channels. :eek:
KJP

ray_lowe

Auditioning
only place i saw this is in the McLarenaudio website.
www.mclarenaudio.co (i think).
It allows you to combine source, biamp , future upgrades via chip change/software .. pretty fancy stuff ...
their stuff is cool but a bit out of my league (technically and $$$).:angry:

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
...I'm still wondering when the developers are going to realize that, in the real world, sound does not just encircle our heads, as is represented by all current surround-sound schemes that I know of; rather, sound truly envelopes our heads, from all angles, including from above. When are we going to have speakers in the ceilings above our heads, or in the floors below our feet? :D

ray_lowe

Auditioning
i know, surround yourself in a sphere of 10,000 bose speakers hooked on to 1 accouticmass ..
and you still miss the midrange !
ahem ! :D :D

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

The layout for Tom Holman's 10.2 surround setup is 5 front channel speakers, 3 surround speakers, 2 height speakers and 2 subwoofers.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks