What's new

1 cd player connected to 2 receivers? (1 Viewer)

ZachW

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to have two seperate systems, one for HT, and one for outside music only. For the inside I have the Denon 1803 which has multi zone, but I'm using all 6 channels so I can't take advantage of it. So I'm going to get another receiver to power the outside speakers. I only want one cd player for both systems though so I can play the same music in both places if I want. Can I hook up 1 cd player to 2 receivers? If so how? thanks for all your help

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you get yourself 2 "Y" cables you can hook the CD player to both receivers. I am asuming that you will be using the L&R audio out from the CD player.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Or you could use the digital out (if it has one) to one receiver and the analog outs to another.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Zach, you didn't say if you had the CD player already or if you are looking to get a new one. Some players have two pairs of stereo analog outputs, so you could run one pair to each receiver. Alternatively, some players have both a coaxial and an optical digital output, so you could run one to each receiver. As was mentioned, you could run a digital output to one receiver and the stereo analog outputs to the other.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
If you need to "Y" one set of analog outputs, I would suggest getting a distribution amp to maintain your line levels. Splitting one analog output into two is going to decrease your volume output and increase your signal to noise ratio.

If you won't be needing to hear the cd player in both places at once, then a stereo audio switch will do, and its cheaper than a DA.

-Scott

ZachW

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have one yet, but I'm looking for one around $200 that I'll be able to connect it to both. I also was wondering about a dvd player around $200-250 that I can hook up to both receivers

ZachW

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone please reccomend a dvd player or changer that I can hook up to both receivers for arounf $200? Give or take a few dollars. thnaks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Zach, for DVD, consider the Panasonic DVD-CP72, which is a progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer. You should be able to get it for around $200 through mail-order dealers after a $30 mail-in rebate.

For CD players in your price range, look at the new Denon DCM-280 and '380, Marantz CC4300, Sony SCD-C222ES, and Sony CDP-CA70ES. The 'C222ES sells for around $350 through discount mail-order dealers like J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) and OneCall (1-800-340-4770), but it is a bargain. It plays SACDs in addition to CDs.

ZachW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Keith, the Panasonic DVD-CP72 looks great. Will I be able to hook it up to both receivers though? If so, I'll probably get this, and the Denon cd player. thanks

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
If you have receivers that will accept both optical and coaxial digital audio input, then you can get any DVD player that has both coaxial and optical outputs and use one connection for each receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks