What's new

PC + Xbox audio setup (1 Viewer)

Jan Piotrowicz

Auditioning
Firstly I would like to say hello and thank for a great deal of knowledge that can be found on this forum.

I need to find a solution for my desktop sound system. I have got 3 elements: PC, Xbox and PC monitor.
I would like to add that PC has optical out, Xbox has an optical out but the components are hooked up to a CRT TV so I have to use optical out for audio and HDMI for video. The monitor does not have HDMI input so I will need to use some kind of HDMI to DVI-D cable/adapter.

My question is now, what can I use to join these elements together? I would like to have one piece of gear that I will be using firstly mainly for headphones but later I would like to add speakers.

I was recommended to get a receiver but. It seems pretty big to be placed on my desk. Also, I am not sure if I can use HDMI form the Xbox and then HDMI to DVI-D cable to connect the monitor to the receiver (and I want it to process the sound).

It seems like a fairly basic setup but I have got an impression that it is getting complicated.

My budget is quite limited, around 200$.

Thanks.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
This seems clear as mud to me...you might have to run through this again. You have an xbox, PC and a CRT TV? Do you also have a PC monitor or are you using the TV as the monitor? I can't tell when you're running through the gear. If I understand this correctly you are using the CRT TV as the monitor with a DVI-D input for video and you want to run the sound to an AVR to use with headphones for now speakers later?

XBOX ---HDMI---> AVR
PC ---HDMI---> AVR ---HDMI to DVI-D ---> CRT TV
---Optical---> ARV
|
|
Headphones

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DVI- D is HDCP compliant, hence the "D".I know of nothing at $200 that will work...that isn't an AVR. You aren't going to find any pre-pro that cheap. Not even used.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could purchase an HDMI switch with toslink out...run that through a DAC...into a headphone amp. But all that will cost $200 anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks