What's new

What to buy for simple setup with 3 devices? (1 Viewer)

dutchshrek

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich
Hi all. I know very little about home theater and so I decided to join here to describe my problem.
What I'm looking to do is improve the sound situation and gain the ability to use headphones while I'm at it.
Allow me to elaborate.
I have a Samsung LCD tv with 2 hdmi in and 1 component in. I do not have audio out, neither aux nor optical. Quite sad really.
I have 4 devices connected: Xbox, ps3, DVR and a pc. Pc uses the component and the others through hdmi (i use a switch for the consoles)
What i would like to do is centralize the audio of all devices so i have a nice speaker setup and also have the ability to plug in headphones to listen to whatever i may be using at that time.
I do not know what to look for so shopping is difficult.
I also have a very low budget so if the speakers are out of my budget is like to find out if the headphone thing can be accomplished in a cheap way.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Keeping the PC "on the TV"...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html
Run all three HDMI to it and the audio from the PC.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1800BL-5-1-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B001AVRD62/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357084011&sr=1-3&keywords=5.1+yamaha
$230 and you could do a whole lot worse....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you have another $150-ish in budget...
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Take-Classic-Pack-Theater/dp/B0021L9BME/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357084224&sr=1-2&keywords=5.0+speaker+system
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-800-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU30K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357084315&sr=1-1&keywords=dayton+sub-800 (there is a 10" for $100)

dutchshrek

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich
I see, so a good receiver and a set of speakers is what to buy. The receiver acts like a hdmi switch on steroids? Seems simple enough. I appreciate the response with the links guys. Thanks so much

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by dutchshrek
The receiver acts like a hdmi switch on steroids?
Yes! And this is one concept that a lot of folks that are new to home theater fail to grasp. The TV is ill-suited to serve as the hub of your system. Therefore you connect everything to a suitable AVR (one that has the correct number and type of inputs that you need) and run just a single HDMI cable from the AVR out to the display.
One extra wrinkle in your case is the PC (using component video rather than HDMI). With the receiver that Sam recommended above, you would keep the PC connected to the TV using component video cables (because with that receiver, component input is only output as component, so you'd wind up needing a second component connection from AVR to TV and it would be pointless) and would only add an audio connection between the PC and the receiver.
You could eliminate that need by getting an AVR that will upconvert analog video sources to HDMI. Really, this would simply be a "convenience" feature as it would allow you to always keep the TV set on a single input (HDMI) as opposed to having to switch to component input when watching whatever is on the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks