PC + Xbox audio setup

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jan Piotrowicz, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jan Piotrowicz

Jan Piotrowicz Auditioning

Firstly I would like to say hello and thank for a great deal of knowledge that can be found on this forum.

I need to find a solution for my desktop sound system. I have got 3 elements: PC, Xbox and PC monitor.
    I would like to add that PC has optical out, Xbox has an optical out but the components are hooked up to a CRT TV so I have to use optical out for audio and HDMI for video. The monitor does not have HDMI input so I will need to use some kind of HDMI to DVI-D cable/adapter.

My question is now, what can I use to join these elements together? I would like to have one piece of gear that I will be using firstly mainly for headphones but later I would like to add speakers.

I was recommended to get a receiver but. It seems pretty big to be placed on my desk. Also, I am not sure if I can use HDMI form the Xbox and then HDMI to DVI-D cable to connect the monitor to the receiver (and I want it to process the sound).

It seems like a fairly basic setup but I have got an impression that it is getting complicated.

My budget is quite limited, around 200$.

Thanks.

2. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    This seems clear as mud to me...you might have to run through this again. You have an xbox, PC and a CRT TV? Do you also have a PC monitor or are you using the TV as the monitor? I can't tell when you're running through the gear. If I understand this correctly you are using the CRT TV as the monitor with a DVI-D input for video and you want to run the sound to an AVR to use with headphones for now speakers later?

XBOX ---HDMI---> AVR
    PC ---HDMI---> AVR ---HDMI to DVI-D ---> CRT TV
    ---Optical---> ARV
    |
    |
    Headphones

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    DVI- D is HDCP compliant, hence the "D".I know of nothing at $200 that will work...that isn't an AVR. You aren't going to find any pre-pro that cheap. Not even used.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    You could purchase an HDMI switch with toslink out...run that through a DAC...into a headphone amp. But all that will cost $200 anyway.