What's new

The newbie 101 questions (1 Viewer)

JeffGMJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Denning
Greetings!

Recently joined member here, just introduced myself over on the introductions thread - so here are my questions that I need some answers too :)

So I've finally purchased my very first TV and Xbox 360 - very happy with the setup, but I'm looking at getting setup with some more awesome, hopefully you guys can push me in the right direction.

Righto, here's my current setup:

[*]Sinotech 39" Full HD LED TV
[*]Xbox 360 Slim
[*]Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Speakers
[*]And a PC with a whole lot of media that I'm streaming around the house
[/list]
With that out of the way, I'm looking at achieving a few things with my setup.
Currently the Xbox is connected directly to the speakers via an RCA connection and an HDMI link to the TV. The PC is hooked up via VGA (upgrading to HDMI soon) and the sound using 3.5mm jacks also directly on the speakers.

I'll also look at expanding my entertainment stuff to DSTV (it's like a South African alternative to cable or TiVo I think) Ideally what I'd like to achieve here is have all the sound running via a central sound source.

Do I need an AV receiver (i think what it's called) to connect all of the sources for audio through? I'm properly confused with this.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is the easiest way to accomplish this. The Z506 isn't "meant" for what you are doing anyway. Games sure. TV and movies...no.

The major issue with attempting to use the Z506 is this...

All of your options to "make them work" will cost 2-3 times what replacing it with something else...meant to do this, would cost.

Example...

To make your Z506 "work" with a Yamaha product would require the RX-A830. Here in the US, the 830 costs $850. (Onkyo, Denon, Sony...et al...would all be a receiver with pre-outs. As the pre-outs would connect to your Z506. AVR with pre-outs tend to start at $700 and go up)

You could replace the Z506 entirely with this...
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397-5-1-Channel-Theater-Version/dp/B007PU2X76/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382105082&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+yht-397 (in case the link doesn't work because of the different country Yamaha YHT 397...$370)

For $370 you get better speakers than the Z506. For $850 you get a really good receiver connected to...well, computer speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And Oh yeah, before you ask.

There is such a thing as a "pre-pro". If you were in the US(or if you are visiting?) you could pick up an Emotiva or Outlaw for around $600. But again...that is a pre-pro connected to computer speakers.

I was down there for the World Cup. Spent 20 days between Cape Town and Durban(and where outlying matches were a "bus ride away"). Went on a Safari as well...cause, why not?

JeffGMJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Denning
schan1269 said:
That is the easiest way to accomplish this. The Z506 isn't "meant" for what you are doing anyway. Games sure. TV and movies...no.

The major issue with attempting to use the Z506 is this...

All of your options to "make them work" will cost 2-3 times what replacing it with something else...meant to do this, would cost.

Example...

To make your Z506 "work" with a Yamaha product would require the RX-A830. Here in the US, the 830 costs $850. (Onkyo, Denon, Sony...et al...would all be a receiver with pre-outs. As the pre-outs would connect to your Z506. AVR with pre-outs tend to start at $700 and go up)

You could replace the Z506 entirely with this...
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397-5-1-Channel-Theater-Version/dp/B007PU2X76/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382105082&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+yht-397 (in case the link doesn't work because of the different country Yamaha YHT 397...$370)

For $370 you get better speakers than the Z506. For $850 you get a really good receiver connected to...well, computer speakers.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!
I kind of feared this, but not really surprising since they are PC speakers. What would you recommend going forward? I'm quite keen on upgrading pretty much everything to get the best experience.

I'm assuming that I need to look out for certain specs in order to have everything hooked up?

Cape Town is a truly awesome place, sometimes lagging behind on the tech side of things but we're surviving! The World Cup was fantastic indeed, went to a few matches. And hey, all the tourists need to come on a safari here ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Back to issue at hand.

I would start with an AVR. Assume you have Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon. Maybe Pioneer and Sony. How much your AVR needs to do is determined only by what you need. Every AVR is going to power ANY 5.1 speaker set you can find. Really...Every goes with any.

Start at the Yamaha 375 and only get the 475 if there are features you need(HDMI pass-through in standby is useful...and to me is reason enough)
With Onkyo, the 313 unless you need networking features or bluetooth contained in the higher ups.
Denon, same story. Start at the E200. Again if you need/want networking/Airplay, go to the E300/400.

Speaker sets. Since we are starting "small"...Klipsch HD500. Yamaha has the NS-SP1800. Do you have either down there?

JeffGMJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Denning
schan1269 said:
Back to issue at hand.

I would start with an AVR. Assume you have Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon. Maybe Pioneer and Sony. How much your AVR needs to do is determined only by what you need. Every AVR is going to power ANY 5.1 speaker set you can find. Really...Every goes with any.

Start at the Yamaha 375 and only get the 475 if there are features you need(HDMI pass-through in standby is useful...and to me is reason enough)
With Onkyo, the 313 unless you need networking features or bluetooth contained in the higher ups.
Denon, same story. Start at the E200. Again if you need/want networking/Airplay, go to the E300/400.

Speaker sets. Since we are starting "small"...Klipsch HD500. Yamaha has the NS-SP1800. Do you have either down there?
Thanks so much for your suggestions, I really do appreciate it!
I've done some light digging around our local - really scarce HT industry (or so it seems) and the results aren't looking good for me :(

The Yamaha 375 is available, looks to retail for about $250 in the US, here - $800 and up :( I'll keep hunting for the suggested AVRs, I can't even find the suggested speakers.
A lot of these combo deals are available, the ones with the AVR and speakers combined by places like LG, Samsung, Sony etc etc for a better price. $100 and up or so. Are these any good or even worth a look?

I may be jumping the gun here, but would I connect the AVR to the TV via HDMI? I'd assume the new speakers (I've decided to ditch the silly PC speakers ;) ) are run via RCA and devices like a PC, decoder for DSTV, Xbox etc run via HDMI or RCA too?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your PC, does it have HDMI?

If not, is it running a version of windows that does WiDi?(some Windows 7 and "all" Windows 8)
OR is it an Apple?
OR does the Xbox already handle streaming?

Those things need answered about your "streaming".

The Xbox has HDMI(I would assume...).

Your connections are

Xbox to AVR via HDMI
PC to AVR via HDMI(if applicable)
AVR to TV via HDMI
Basically everything goes to the AVR...then the AVR feeds video to the TV

The speakers are speaker wire. The sub uses a "subwoofer" cable(shielded subwoofer is the same thing as digital coax and composite video)

And those prices are horrendous.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Stay away from HTiB. That means the "all-in-one" systems that include the BD player inside the main component. Those are not upgradeable in the future. They also have BS specs. You'll see ridiculous power ratings of 1000watts. Yeah right. Even on 220(SA is 220 correct?) that thing isn't chewing 100 watts off the wall.

100 watts off the wall does not create 1000. IF it did, there is the cure for the worlds power issues....Everybody buy one of those and re-wire it to run your hair dryers and microwaves.

JeffGMJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Denning
schan1269 said:
Your PC, does it have HDMI?

If not, is it running a version of windows that does WiDi?(some Windows 7 and "all" Windows 8)
OR is it an Apple?
OR does the Xbox already handle streaming?

Those things need answered about your "streaming".

The Xbox has HDMI(I would assume...).

Your connections are

Xbox to AVR via HDMI
PC to AVR via HDMI(if applicable)
AVR to TV via HDMI
Basically everything goes to the AVR...then the AVR feeds video to the TV

The speakers are speaker wire. The sub uses a "subwoofer" cable(shielded subwoofer is the same thing as digital coax and composite video)

And those prices are horrendous.
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear! That makes so much for sense in my head, thank you :)
In terms of streaming, it'll run from my "home server" via Plex through to the Xbox. I may just run this straight from the PC though, there is an HDMI slot available.

JeffGMJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Denning
schan1269 said:
Stay away from HTiB. That means the "all-in-one" systems that include the BD player inside the main component. Those are not upgradeable in the future. They also have BS specs. You'll see ridiculous power ratings of 1000watts. Yeah right. Even on 220(SA is 220 correct?) that thing isn't chewing 100 watts off the wall.

100 watts off the wall does not create 1000. IF it did, there is the cure for the worlds power issues....Everybody buy one of those and re-wire it to run your hair dryers and microwaves.
Makes sense, I'll do my best to keep my distance from 'em. Maybe I should look at import options for the AVR and weigh up the costs from there. And yeah, the ratings and system specs do seem ridiculous. I share the same sentiment - getting 10 000 watts (yes 10!!) isn't possible from a 220 watt wall socket, haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks